Scene Control with Vizia RZI06-1LX?

Hiller

Hey guys, with the stellar Leviton documentation I can't figure out if the RZI06-1LX is supposed to be able to be a scene controller or not. I have it hooked up to a load like a normal switch but I would also like it to activate another RZI06-1LX and vice versa when I turn it on or off. Is it possible with these switches and if it is how do you program them?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Someone from Leviton could probably answer this one better, but I believe that the 600 watt dimmers can control a local load only. That said, you could use the 2-way feedback feature to notify a computer that the light turned on--and then use that info to turn on another light. But that wouldn't be an "instant" feeling.

For 3-ways, I believe that the general design idea is to use a "master" switch hooked to the load and a "slave" switch which communicates with it wirelessly--or to use standard wired 3-ways.

Chris

You cannot control another load with the dimmers or switches directly. You must use either a scene controller or a third party interface.

Hiller said:
So is a "Scene Capable" switch one that can be controlled by a scene controller?
Correct, they can also be controlled via standard Z-Wave on/off/dim commands.

The average everyday Z-Wave switches are not scene compatible. The Vizia-RF are with other Vizia-RF devices.

Ken

Just FYI, Ken is correct--the Vizia RF devices are scene capable. And a number of other products coming to market are too.

And also importantly, scene capable devices are interoperable amongst themselves (and should be backwards compatible as well).

Chris

ChrisWalker said:
That said, you could use the 2-way feedback feature to notify a computer that the light turned on--and then use that info to turn on another light. But that wouldn't be an "instant" feeling.
Does the instant feedback message have to be enabled at all to use in an automation system or is it just the same message that you would receive from a poll? I'm using CQC and these switches work great when polled. I asked Dean about the message that's sent out when you locally change a switch's level but he didn't know how it was sent. Just the same message sent async? This would give me close to that instant feel. At least as close as I'm going to come without adding scene controllers for that room.

Thanks,
Steve

Back