Schlage Z-wave door lock

Vera works the lock and I hear Homeseer will be soon.
Correct. Our first beta was posted to our message board today - FYI

I ran into some stumbling blocks although.
What Schlage does not tell us is that only certain Zwave devices can Wake the lock and comunicate with it.
This can be a problem is the controller is not within range of the lock. Zwave is a Mesh technology but only certain Zwave devices can pass along commands to communicate directly with the lock. Those that can are the ACT module that Schlage sells , the new trane thermostat and a compliant controller like Schlage link or Vera. I have heard as time goes on more and more devices will have this feature. The work around is simple just have the last device in the route to the lock be one that supports the "beam" . That's it.
The locks use the new Z-Wave 'beaconing' technology which allows them to "sleep" until a beacon packet (for lack of a better term) wakes them up. This is essential since the locks are battery powered and need to conserve energy, when they're not being accessed. To use this technology, the locks must be in direct range of a compatible controller (or PC interface, such as the HomeSeer SmartStick (with latest firmware) or Aeon Labs USB stick) OR... they must be in direct range of some other beaconing-savvy device (such as the Schlage light modules or Trane thermostats)... as you've already said.

Is this Becon thing different than the Beam. I found a Document on the web from Zensys where is discusses the Beam. This was from March 2007.
"5.1 The Zensor Net Beam
The solution for reaching sleeping nodes is to introduce a “Beamâ€; a long preamble saying: “I have
something for you, please hold the lineâ€. The real frame then follows the beam."

Back