Schlage Z-wave door lock

This makes me very happy. I had installed deadbolt sensors at my old house so I would know if the doors were locked before going to bed at night. I've been trying to figure out what to do to duplicate that set up in my new house (where there is no good way to run a wire to the front door) and this may be the answer... with the added convenience of being able to lock the door from the bed if I did forget. Hopefully this comes out soon... and at a reasonable price point.

Brett

the article mentions 4th quarter for the possible release, and $150 as the price-point for the related, but non-automated, locks, so probably closer to $200 for the price point on this.

wait til people start forging HomeId/NodeId...this is an accident waiting to happen IMO and i thoroughly support z-wave. it's part of the reason there are no real z-wave garage door openers yet.

wait til people start forging HomeId/NodeId...this is an accident waiting to happen IMO and i thoroughly support z-wave. it's part of the reason there are no real z-wave garage door openers yet.

twilo123, the locks should in theory be using the cryptography features of Z-Wave.

Chris

Can a really strong magnet or making this lock as part of a electricity(continuity) destroy the board inside? It's nice though.

chris,

we'll see if they do use cryptography. have you seen anyone using it yet? if so, can you list which modules are using it? barring that let's see if i can pull of the homeid/nodeid with thinkessentials after adding one into the network. do a primary shift and see if i can control it from my laptop seperately. i'll let you know how it goes.

better yet throw a zniffer on it and see what comes up...

I think most burglars would break a window or kick in the door. That's what burglar alarm systems are for.

I think most burglars would break a window or kick in the door. That's what burglar alarm systems are for.

Or just pick the lock. Then steal your $150 lock and sell it on ebay :eek:

I've been using their keypad deadbolt for over a year now and it's the best keyless entry I've used to date, exceptionally high WAF and KAF with this unit. If the Z-Wave version meets or exceeds the current standard, it will be worth auditioning.

and most people just rob people for money right yet we seem to see more and more credit card theft, identfity theft, etc. via technology. people have been doing stuff like this to gain access to say a neighbor's wifi for years now nevermind bluetooth for cell phone info, etc.

why break the lock when i can open it remotely whenever i want to?

I've been using their keypad deadbolt for over a year now and it's the best keyless entry I've used to date, exceptionally high WAF and KAF with this unit. If the Z-Wave version meets or exceeds the current standard, it will be worth auditioning.

I'm thinking that the one time that I NEED to use the lock as a keyless, the batteries would run out.

That's why I'm going to have multiple ways to get in my house. VIA fingerprint, and via "keyless" powered locks.

However, I want to try to get one that does NOT have a keypad on the front and just use it as a hardwired solution to have my automation system lock the house at night. Any suggestions on a powered lock that has NO keypad on the front? I think there was one from Schalage...but I was afraid of key bumping...that is if I am replacing the lock...why not go all the way? Also, I would really like to have one that is a dead-bolt... I have not seen one of those...any suggestions?

I'd use a power transfer system like mentioned above. When the door is closed, it provide power and control signals to the door / lock so it can be manipulated, however on a hard-line level to make sure that no one can "hack" my signals.

I think that's why I was going to just put in a mag. lock for the door.

--Dan

Back