Schlage Z wave lock

Mike P

Hi, I am closing on a second home very soon and I have been looking for a lock that can be controlled remotely via the web. The Schalge lock is nice, but I see there is a monthly fee. Has anybody here used another lock that works the same but can be accessed through the web directly? I will not have an M1 or such installed so the lock must be standalone at this time. I would like the ability to lock and unlock as well as change the code's via the web.

Thanks,

Mike

There is no lock that has the web access built-in. You would have to have a controller of some kind such as the Schlage Link Bridge (Fee) or the MiCasaVerde Vera2 (No Fee) or a PC/Software solution such as HomeSeer or others.

There is no lock that has the web access built-in. You would have to have a controller of some kind such as the Schlage Link Bridge (Fee) or the MiCasaVerde Vera2 (No Fee) or a PC/Software solution such as HomeSeer or others.
Does the Sclage lock work with MiCasaVerde Vera2? If it does, does it work well?

Thanks,

Mike

If you have a windows PC, here's an opensource z-wave driver for Premise (which is also free):
http://code.google.com/p/zwave-driver-for-premise/

I've added lock support, but other folks have added support for various other z-wave devices.

Does the Sclage lock work with MiCasaVerde Vera2? If it does, does it work well?

Thanks,

Mike
The Schlage works well with Vera 2 - so do the KwikSet Locks. Depending on what your else you are trying to accomplish you might want to look at the $8.99 monthly fee which would be only $90.00(2 months free) for the first year. B)

Looks like the Vera 2 will only cost a couple of hundred. I have not yet looked into it, but I will. I don't mind spending the money, as long as it will do what I need and the wife does not yell to much. My home now consists of an M1 with about 80 zones of protection, UPB lighting(not much 5 lights, 4 Hai thermostats, and a few outputs. I am trying to keep the second home simple(I could see it may get larger already). I did forget to mention, we will also be renting this home out for weekends, hence the reason to control and change the lock access. That being said, I will look further into the Vera 2, but if anybody here has suggestions for a different way to go about it, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mike

I'd love to see what you go with, Mike - we're building a new house and the builder is installing those Schlage locks - I'm hoping to figure out a way to integrate either Vera 2 or Homeseer (the only 2 systems I can find that will integrate with the Schlage locks) into the Elk, primarily so that I can tie locking/unlocking the door to arming/disaming the alarm system, etc.

Just keep in mind one key difference between the Schlage and the Kwikset locks - the Schlage locks just release a clutch allowing a person locally to lock/unlock the doors; where the Kwikset can mechanically lock/unlock the doors.

Not sure how much it matters for your application, but it's a pretty big differentiator.

Just keep in mind one key difference between the Schlage and the Kwikset locks - the Schlage locks just release a clutch allowing a person locally to lock/unlock the doors; where the Kwikset can mechanically lock/unlock the doors.

Not sure how much it matters for your application, but it's a pretty big differentiator.

So you're saying the Kwikset can't be locked/unlocked locally??

I think what was meant is that Kwikset has a motorized deadbolt whereas the Schalge has a manual operated deadbold.

This is how I understand it, too. For unlocking it's not a big deal, but for locking it means that there's no way with the Schlage locks to send a command and lock the door without someone then walking over to the door and moving the deadbolt manually, right?

That, combined with the fact that apparently most off-the-shelf home automation systems can't talk with the Schlage locks, has me thinking that I'm going to swap over to the Kwikset locks. Our builder uses Schlage, so this means I'll have 2 doors in the house on a different (Schlage) key - the walk-in attic entrances. However, I keep running into issues trying to get the Schlage locks to fit in with everything else I plan to get.

Are there any drawbacks to the Kwikset locks? Can they be controlled via an Elk M1 if I add a z-wave interface to it, or do the Kwikset locks also use a special/different z wave interface?

This is how I understand it, too. For unlocking it's not a big deal, but for locking it means that there's no way with the Schlage locks to send a command and lock the door without someone then walking over to the door and moving the deadbolt manually, right?

Yes, that is my understanding also.

That, combined with the fact that apparently most off-the-shelf home automation systems can't talk with the Schlage locks, has me thinking that I'm going to swap over to the Kwikset locks. Our builder uses Schlage, so this means I'll have 2 doors in the house on a different (Schlage) key - the walk-in attic entrances. However, I keep running into issues trying to get the Schlage locks to fit in with everything else I plan to get.

Are there any drawbacks to the Kwikset locks?

There may be others but one is that the Kwikset has only 5 buttons for the codes not 10. So, in reality you only have have the possible codes. I have just pre-ordered a Yale lock . The Yale is motorized and has a 10 numerical buttons. I will not get it for a couple of weeks so I can not tell you much from first hand experience yet.

Can they be controlled via an Elk M1 if I add a z-wave interface to it, or do the Kwikset locks also use a special/different z wave interface?

See above.

HomeSeer works with Schlage, Kwikset, and Yale. There is a 3rd party plug-in for the Elk - more than one in fact I think... so you can definitely tie the disarm into the door unlock. I do something similar but for the other side with my HAI panel - I make sure the Schlage locks are locked when the alarm is enabled.

HomeSeer works with Schlage, Kwikset, and Yale. There is a 3rd party plug-in for the Elk - more than one in fact I think... so you can definitely tie the disarm into the door unlock. I do something similar but for the other side with my HAI panel - I make sure the Schlage locks are locked when the alarm is enabled.

So I'm definitely confused now. You say you make sure the schlages are locked but above says they can't be locked remotely. Are you saying you just poll for status and if unlocked you have to go lock manually?? I'm thinking of getting a couple zwave locks so I just want to be sure about this. Sounds like the Yale may be the best, kwikset next and the schlages suck... but that can't be, can it?

Back