Schlage Z wave lock

So I'm definitely confused now. You say you make sure the schlages are locked but above says they can't be locked remotely. Are you saying you just poll for status and if unlocked you have to go lock manually?? I'm thinking of getting a couple zwave locks so I just want to be sure about this. Sounds like the Yale may be the best, kwikset next and the schlages suck... but that can't be, can it?

I have the Schlage lever locks, which can definitely be locked and unlocked remotely. The Schlage deadbolt locks cannot be operated remotely, but the status of the deadbolt is reflected in HomeSeer. Kwikset's deadbolt is motorized as is Yale's, and both have a special status if the deadbolt gets hung up because your door is not aligned properly and it could not close. That is why Schlage did not do a motorized deadbolt, because very often doors get out of alignment and the deadbolt fails to engage, and they did not want to have that be a factor in the security - their idea is that if you tell it to lock, you should know it is locked. I do not have any Kwikset or Yale non-deadbolt products, if they have any, so I could not say whether they have leverlocks like Schlage. I definitely like the Schlage leverlock though - not having to go to the door to lock or unlock the door is very handy. Although I have deadbolts on the doors, my feeling is that if somebody wants to break in, there is little difference between the effort of circumventing the leverlock versus the deadbolt because in both cases they would break a nearby window instead of messing with either of them. Deadbolts are only good if you have bars over the windows of your house as well.

Back