securing wires and gang boxes question

v1rtu0s1ty

Hey guys, good evening. I would like to secure the wires to the studs that I will be running in the house. I have a staple gun but I have a strong feeling that it's going to pinch it so much resulting to bent or possibly cut conductor. Anyways, what tool should I use/buy that will be good for securing 16 gauge wires and up to the studs? Assuming you have many wires bundled together(say 5 different runs), do you staple each to the studs side by side or you just tie them together and let it hang between studs?

I went to Menards yesterday and saw Carlon boxes, both single, double, triple gang boxes. I would like to know which wire goes together for audio, volume control, audio keypad, security keypad. This way, I will know what type of gang boxes and the number of gang boxes I need to install on a room.

Thanks,

Neil

If you are running bundles of wire, i.e. wires that are tied together with wire ties, get the wire tie mounts that you screw into the wall, stud, whatever. Then use the wire tie to secure the bundle to the tie point. You can get self-adhesive tie mounts, but be sure to secure them with a screw, too. Ex: http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchd...?productID=1389

For smaller runs, use a stapler with the right diameter and size staples, and set it to use the right amount of force to staple but not damage the wire. Or use the plastic cable staples that you hammer in by hand that have a built-in stand-off.

Always attach the wires to the center of the stud to help avoid the possibility that a misplaced nail or screw into the wall will not damage them. Of course, you might want to check with your local building inspector to find out the right way to do this for passing local codes.

I'm pretty sure you can find all this stuff at Home Depot, electrical supply outlet, or similar stores if your electrician won't supply you with them.

Neil,

I've got a couple of the Arrow T59 staplers that work great for securing single wires. They shoot a staple with a plastic insulator that protects the calbe very well and works great for RG59, RG6, CAT5, and 14 or 16ga speaker wire. The staples cost a little more than the Acme linked in this thread and you have to reload them more often, but I really like the end result.

For multiple cables, take a look at cables ties with screw holes... similar to what huggy has suggested, but the screw mount is built into the cable tie. You can use these to secure wires down the length of a stud, or even use them to suspend wires across ceiling/floor joists.

Example of cable tie with screw hole

If you're planing to use the Carlon Resi-Gard, be sure to get some of the conduit clamps to fasten the conduit along the way. Carlon also makes some nail-on cable clips that are nice, but the stapler or cable ties mentioned above will be less expensive.

Cheers,
Paul

pkoslow said:
Neil,

I've got a couple of the Arrow T59 staplers that work great for securing single wires. They shoot a staple with a plastic insulator that protects the calbe very well and works great for RG59, RG6, CAT5, and 14 or 16ga speaker wire. The staples cost a little more than the Acme linked in this thread and you have to reload them more often, but I really like the end result.

For multiple cables, take a look at cables ties with screw holes... similar to what huggy has suggested, but the screw mount is built into the cable tie. You can use these to secure wires down the length of a stud, or even use them to suspend wires across ceiling/floor joists.

Example of cable tie with screw hole

If you're planing to use the Carlon Resi-Gard, be sure to get some of the conduit clamps to fasten the conduit along the way. Carlon also makes some nail-on cable clips that are nice, but the stapler or cable ties mentioned above will be less expensive.

Cheers,
Paul
Thanks for the Arrow T59. I remember, I bought my Arrow stapler at home depot. I'm planning to swing on by at HD tonight. I hope that HD also sell those screwable cable organizer.

They should, I think I got some of both there.

The ties are by lighting though if I remember correctly, whereas the stapler is over by well, staplers in the nail/screw/door hardware aisle.

Mike said:
They should, I think I got some of both there.

The ties are by lighting though if I remember correctly, whereas the stapler is over by well, staplers in the nail/screw/door hardware aisle.
Just arrived home. Our HD here doesn't carry T59, crap! But they sell those screwable cable ties. I will try Lowes, Ace Hardware and Menards tomorrow.

What about D rings attached to the trusses and running the wire thru those? I was gonna try that on my next install

Steve said:
Ah, I know those. Some network equipment rack comes with those on both sides to guide the cables.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
upstatemike said:
Too expensive for in-wall use. Use Bridle Rings like these.
Yep, that works too :D
Since I haven't tried it yet, how many wires of RG6, 18/4, 16/4, CAT5E can a 1 inch hole created by Irwin auger bit handle? I haven't seen any auger bit at Home Depot that's greater than 1 inch. Or it's the job for self feed bits if greater than 1 inch?

Back