Security choices

jmark71

So we recently bought a new home, downsizing a bit to a 3000 sq. ft. ranch (with a loft/bedroom upstairs) after living in a much bigger house the last 10 years. When we moved into the old house I installed a M1 Gold system and used the Ion Micra-G wireless windows sensors which worked great (great enough that the buyer had us leave him the system as part of the contract)... so now 10 years later Im evaluating options for the new home... so a few questions...

Is an Elk M1 still the best option for integrating with automation hubs and lighting; I was able to keep my ISY and plan to go with Radio RA2 (or Select) for lighting eventually. In terms of sensors, is the two-way wireless system Elk offer, the way to go for sensors? Prewire only allowed entry/exit hardwired sensors, so to secure 19 windows, the Elk 6021s will set me back almost a grand, whereas the Micra-Gs would be half that. Finally, whats the modern way to integrate third-party monitoring - 10 years ago, we just used POTS... now we dont even have a landline for phone never mind for security.

If there are other decent security options out there to consider, I am evaluating all options. Thanks for any insights.

Mark

I think the M1 is still a good solution, especially if you want to integrate it with home automation.  Some people worry about the future and whether it will go end-of-life. 

I like the Elk two-way wireless, but it is still somewhat limited in terms of the number and types of wireless devices that Elk offers.  You can find more variety with the Honeywell and Interlogix wireless options. 

Leviton recently announced that they are discontinuing the Omni Pro products, so I wouldn't consider that as an option.

For monitoring, if you have decent cell signal coverage I like Alarm Relay for cellular monitoring. I believe they use Verizon’s network. They’re not too expensive and I’ve found them to be very professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk M1G here with Alarm Relay monitoring via Uplink 4500EZ GSM cell communicator. Used wireless GE sensors and Micra door sensors you mention for my exterior doors.

Alarm Relay very helpfully and even sent me a replacement Uplink unit when Uplink bricked old first gen Uplink 4500EZ units with an over the air firmware update. Uplink only deals with dealers not consumers so even though it was a warranty issue they would not deal with me directly. I had purchased the Uplink unit on Amazon.

Alarm Relay fixed me right up with a new Uplink even though they did not provide my original unit. Free replacement! Excellent customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAL said:
I think the M1 is still a good solution, especially if you want to integrate it with home automation.  Some people worry about the future and whether it will go end-of-life. 

I like the Elk two-way wireless, but it is still somewhat limited in terms of the number and types of wireless devices that Elk offers.  You can find more variety with the Honeywell and Interlogix wireless options. 

Leviton recently announced that they are discontinuing the Omni Pro products, so I wouldn't consider that as an option.

Elk makes a two-way wireless sensor that has one built-in reed switch and allows you to attach up to two wired sensors or mechanical switches. This allows you to use all types of sensors and switches with the Elk wireless.

https://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-6022-universal-3-zone-sensor-two-way-wireless

Mike.

So I ended up going with the M1 again and will be installing it this weekend.  I went with the Honeywell wireless receiver instead of the Elk 2-way simply based on price and variety.  In our last house we ended up using the GE wireless interface and I didn't get antenna with the receiver for some reason.  The Honeywell receiver DID come with antenna, so my question now is whether they're really needed for a house my size - each protected window will be at most 40-50 feet from the centrally located receiver.  Having a plain box sitting on a visible wall has more WAF than one with two clothes-hangers coming out of the top :)

You could try it without the antenna, but I would recommend using them to ensure reliability.

I placed the wireless receiver inside a closet on the wall space above the door.  It's just about invisible there.

I could put it in the same closet as the rest of my equipment (including the Elk) but I was under the impression that it really needed to be 10+ feet away to avoid interference with the Elk.  If that's an old-wives tale then I'll just go with that approach.

jmark said:
I could put it in the same closet as the rest of my equipment (including the Elk) but I was under the impression that it really needed to be 10+ feet away to avoid interference with the Elk.  If that's an old-wives tale then I'll just go with that approach.

It's best not to put it right next to the M1.  The reason is that RF noise created by the M1 might reduce the sensitivity of the wireless receiver.  If the M1 is enclosed in its metal can, that will help to reduce the noise that might reach the wireless receiver to some extent.   Elk says "Try and mount at least 10 feet away," but that is not an absolute number.  You can try a smaller distance and see if you run into problems.

No other closets you could put the receiver in?

Nothing that would be easy to get wiring to unfortunately.  The M1 will be sitting in a Leviton cabinet so should be somewhat shielded and I could maybe put some EMF blocking fabric on the inside of the cover?

jmark said:
Nothing that would be easy to get wiring to unfortunately.  The M1 will be sitting in a Leviton cabinet so should be somewhat shielded and I could maybe put some EMF blocking fabric on the inside of the cover?

The places where electromagnetic interference can escape would be through the knockouts where wires enter, the gap between the cover and the can, and any other holes in the enclosure.  Before you start worrying about that, I would give things a try and see if there are problems, then consider possible solutions.

FYI -

my Elk 2way wireless TX is mounted on the wall just about 3' above the metal can that the M1 is in along with an XEP and it works fine in my 2k sq ft home.

Mike.

Back