Security switch causes busy phone line

dbb

After several years, I recently connected my OPII to a monitoring service.  It was the first time I tried the "security" switch on my Telephone Security Module (47609-tsv).  With the switch ON the alarm company receives my alerts, but my house phone line is seized as soon as the switch is ON and continues to stay busy forever.  With the switch OFF my house phones work fine. 

Also, if I plug a phone into my RJ31X jack, it connects fine whether security is ON or OFF.  But the house phones are busy if security ON.

Did I wire wrong, or do I have a bad phone security module?  I attached some pics of my FIOS ONT phone wire, and the security module.  Blue in red, blue stripe in green at ONT.  blue stripe in slot 1, then blue slot 2 of phone security module.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5403.JPG
    IMG_5403.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5419.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 15
I'm not sure I follow how you have things wired.  When you say "I plug a phone into my RJ31X jack" do you have the Leviton TSV connected to a separate RJ31X and then the RJ31X is connected to the alarm panel?   If so, that's probably part of your problem. The TSV provides has the  RJ31X function built in, and the RJ45 on the TSV should be connected directly to the alarm panel.

My OmniPro (not OPII) failed once, the symptom being that whenever it was connected to the phone system it would seize the line resulting in always busy phones.

Does your security switch completely connect and disconnect the OPII from the phone system?

If so, it could be a bad OPII board.

Do you hear a click from the board when the panel calls the alarm company and another when its finished? If it does, it probably is just wired wrong.

@ RAL - Wiring is ONT to TSV to Omnipro (via the RJ31X jack).  However to test I took the connection to the omnipro out and plugged a phone instead and received a dial-tone whether security ON or OFF.

@kws - yes the phone security module is the only connection between the phone system and the OPII.  and if the security setting is OFF then OPII cannot call out.  If it is ON, the OPII can call out but the phone lines are seized.

@ano - I'm not sure how to test this.  Is there any way to call the alarm company without setting off the alarm?  If I set off the alarm I cannot hear anything.  And where would I hear the click... on the phone line?  If that's the case I cannot hear anything on the phone line when security is ON because the phone line is seized (though I haven't tried to listen right at the time of alarm going off).

thanks for the help.

As a test you might try connecting the OPII directly to the phone system, bypassing the security module. If the lines are still seized your OPII board probably needs repair.

dbb said:
@ano - I'm not sure how to test this.  Is there any way to call the alarm company without setting off the alarm?  If I set off the alarm I cannot hear anything.  And where would I hear the click... on the phone line?  If that's the case I cannot hear anything on the phone line when security is ON because the phone line is seized (though I haven't tried to listen right at the time of alarm going off).
The Omni Pro II can also phone any number and play a message. I think its called the phone function under message. This is a great way to test out the dialing function. Like maybe call your cell phone without actually calling the alarm company.  You can make some temp code so when you, for example, open some door, it calls the number and says the message. 

So step 1) With the RJ31X attached (and nothing plugged it it) your home phones should work.
2) With phone plugged into it that phone should work and your home phones bypassed.
3) With the alarm plugged into the RJ31X, home phones should work unless it has seized the line. 

One by one try this and don't proceed to the next step until it works.

Thanks ano, I didnt get to test before traveling, so I will report back in a few days when I return.

Thanks all for your help, I got it working by checking at each step as advised. Looks like I had a bad wire between my rj31x and the OPII.

Back