Sensor for Basement Window

Neil

I have 3 basement windows, I need to tie into my HA for security. Would mounting the flush mount PIR sensor Visonic SPY4 work in such a small area. Most likely the person would kick in the windows, so a glass break sensor is out. Trying to ge some ideas. The basment bar sensor would work, but dont like the idea of the bar across the windows. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

I have 3 basement windows, I need to tie into my HA for security. Would mounting the flush mount PIR sensor Visonic SPY4 work in such a small area. Most likely the person would kick in the windows, so a glass break sensor is out. Trying to ge some ideas. The basment bar sensor would work, but dont like the idea of the bar across the windows. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

How would they kick in the window without breaking the glass? And why not a standard magnetic sensor on the frame?

Judging from the size of the window, it seems to me that kicking the window in, would dislodge it from the frame, IMO. Trying to see what would be the best approach. Because some parts of the year the window is left open, the mag sensor would not be the best approach, I think.

Neil

So, are you saying you suspect the glass pane would come out, yet not break? Bottom line is there are basically 3 options... Mag sensor to detect open of whole door, glass break to detect smashed glass or PIR to detect motion once they are inside. Actually there is another option which is a glass mounted vibration sensor, like this. That would detect a vibration on the glass if it was to be kicked but not necessarily broken. It wires just like a mag sensor.

The windows are so small, IMO, it looks like if someone tries to kick it in, it will pop from the frame or the glass may break, now if the glass did not break, and say the window pop out.

These are vinyl small windows that open by tilting inwards at 45 deg. In the summer I leave them open, so if someone kick them down further, the window itself may fall flat, and they can them slide in. Would it be better to use the vibration sensor you mentioned or install a curtain recessed PIR to detect any movement of the window and or person entering?

Thanks,
Neil

Well, IMHO, Security is about layering. You want to create layers starting with detection before they enter. So the 'best' is to use a mag sensor and glass break or vibration sensor. That first perimeter layer will alert you BEFORE they actually get in. If you want more you can create a second layer with one or more PIRs, etc. So if you are that concerned about the door/window and how it may react, then do both, that way if one fails (like door not opened or glass doesn't break or vibrate enough) then the PIR should catch them once they're in.

The windows are so small, IMO, it looks like if someone tries to kick it in, it will pop from the frame or the glass may break, now if the glass did not break, and say the window pop out.

These are vinyl small windows that open by tilting inwards at 45 deg. In the summer I leave them open, so if someone kick them down further, the window itself may fall flat, and they can them slide in. Would it be better to use the vibration sensor you mentioned or install a curtain recessed PIR to detect any movement of the window and or person entering?

Thanks,
Neil

How about a 'wired' screen . . I've seen them somewhere . . you could probably come up with a DIY approach . . a small wire across the opening . . weak points on both sides . . so if you pop the screen you break the wire and trip the alarm . .

Pete C

Steve and Pete:

Thanks for all the ideas, the rest of the house is covered by cameras on the outside with motion detection monitored by the DVR, which then ties into the alarm etc. This is good, like you said Steve, this notifies you before they enter.

2 of the 3 basement windows are located with a deck overhead, was thinking of a motion sensor in that area, but am concern abou the vent of the dryer in the same area.

The window area is kinda box in, recessed, maybe 24inches X 16, my original idea was to mount a curtain PIR in the box area, but would the PIR detect the window moevement (if kicked in)? and if not beyond that if someone tries to enter after kicking in the window.

Steve: The vibration/glass sensor you listed, I have to mount on the glass or the frame portion of the window? This is the only style of sensor, does it come in a coil version?

Neil

It goes on the glass. I think there is another style that goes on the frame - but for windows, not doors. The only one I know has straight leads, there may be a coiled ver. Or, you could use your own coil I guess and attach to built in leads near the end maybe an inline solder with short piece of white heat shrink?

I see they carry the coil version. In addition I learn that the motion detectors cannot be mounted close to the windoes or directed at the windows due to air movement of diff. temp. especially on outter walls.

Neil

came across this company that sells the 'wired' screens I mentioned above . . not sure if it's the one I recall, but the idea is the same . .

Pete C

I see they carry the coil version. In addition I learn that the motion detectors cannot be mounted close to the windoes or directed at the windows due to air movement of diff. temp. especially on outter walls.

Neil

It depends. Some are (or claim to be) less sensitive to that than others. The Optex DX40 for example.

The 5600 is a regular acoustical glass break detector, it just mounts on the frame and a reed switch is optional. The 5150 is a vibration/shock sensor on the glass itself.

Thanks Steve, it seems the 5150 is my best bet for the basment windows.

Thanks for all the support to everyone.

Neil

Back