Sensor for door with channel

Phantom20

I planned on installing a wireless plunger sensor (Honeywell 5800RPS) on a french door. My problem is there is an open channel centered on the edge of the door in which a plunger fits perfectly so that it would not sense the door is closed; see pic. I don't want to drill close to the edge of the frame for fear of splitting the wood. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

• french door - saved.jpg
    french door - saved.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 17
It will break the line of the channel visually, but put a small block in the channel for the plunger to mate against?  What is backing the hinge screw in the channel in your picture?  Did they stop the routing of the channel for the hinge mount?  (Just curious.)

The channel extends the entire height of the door. I believe the hinges were attached at the factory and include a spacer that fills the channel. I considered some type of blocking, but wanted to check in case anyone here has already dealt with this. It is a Marvin door, which I imagine are fairly common. Thanks.

I'd look at installing a sensor on the top portion of the door unless the channel is similar there. Would need to see more of how the profile and door is laid out to give a final determination.

Otherwise the plunger is going to need a lot of shimming and support. I doubt it'll fit down in the channel.

To clarify, the channel is in the door, not the frame. I can mount the plunger in the frame with no problem, but the open channel in the door will cause the plunger not to be pressed in when the door is closed. I'll have to check in to using a magnetic sensor on the top edge instead. Thanks.

I may be missing something here, but can't you just carve/shape a piece of wood (balsa?) or a cork and glue it into the channel so that it hits the plunger when the door is closed?

TurboSam said:
I may be missing something here, but can't you just carve/shape a piece of wood (balsa?) or a cork and glue it into the channel so that it hits the plunger when the door is closed?
You don't want to use any material like that that is compressible, otherwise that's a false waiting to happen. Rookie error with plungers/rollers is to omit the spacer that comes with them, then wonder why there's random false alarms when the doors expand/contract with weather.

Back