Setting up Home Automation and Getting a HAI installer

DANNER

Hi All,

I'm doing a complete remodel of my home (basically rebuilding it) and with it I'm starting my foray into home automation. I'm thinking of using a system like a Homeseer Hometroller or Mi Casa Verde's Vera 2 as the primary automation controller. Mainly so I can program scene, check on the status and control devices remotely.

I'm thinking of getting setup with a HAI system for security and additional home control. My understanding from homeauto.com is that I'll need to hire an installer to get set up initially. After that I'd like to be able to add components myself.

Is integrating a HAI system with some other controller like HomeSeer commonly done (and easily done)?

Any recommendations for HAI installers in the SF Bay Area that could accommodate this? I know homeauto.com has a list, but the details on installers there are pretty slim.

It might be a bit radical, but have you considered going to www.homeauto.com, then from the main menu choose Products > How To Buy > Homeowner USA and enterng your Zip code to get a list of certified dealers in your area?

Just a thought. ;-)

P.S. Five star dealers usually have more experience and training.

Most alarm installers won't want you making changes to their work. You'll need to come to an agreement up front, before the install.

You don't have to have an installer to put in an HAI system. Lots of us here have a DIY installation. HAI has online retailers that you can buy systems and parts from.

You don't have to have an installer to put in an HAI system. Lots of us here have a DIY installation. HAI has online retailers that you can buy systems and parts from.
I guess I missed the "You are a Self-Installer" on the "How to Buy" page :)

Any particularly good resources on how to get started with an install?

Any particularly good resources on how to get started with an install?

There's some good general how-to-get-started articles here if you do some searching, but I don't know how many are specific to HAI. Here's a few things I learned when I did mine:

Before Installation: Decide exactly where you're going to put the controller, and make sure you have a good stable base to fasten the box to (this is assuming you don't already have a structured wiring enclosure up). A good simple idea, if you're installing it an area where looks don't matter, is to nail a couple of pieces of 2x4 blocking across two studs, and then you can fasten the enclosure to that. Leave the center area open because the enclosure has two large holes in the center of the back to route wires in. (There are also knockouts on top and bottom.)

Put in a dedicated circuit for the controller if you can. You'll want at least one duplex outlet, one to plug in the controller and one to plug in a PIM for UPB/Insteon lighting. Also, you will need a phone line routed to the vicinity of the controller, and it will be highly desirable to be able to connect the controller to your home network if you have one.

There are several pieces that you need to get in order to have a functioning controller. The best way is to look for a kit; HAI markets several kits that have different mixes of components, and you can choose the one that best fits the installation that you plan to do. Besides the controller itself, the kit needs to have at least: a power supply (it's a big wall wart), a battery, and a "console". (In HAIspeak, a keypad is a "console". All HAI systems need to have at least one console.) Here's some other bits that you might need or want initially:

* You really want PC Access, which is a program that runs on Windows and connects to the controller via Ethernet or a serial port. PC Access lets you set all of the setup parameters at one time and write them to the controller in one burst. It lets you see the status of anything the controller knows about, and command anything that the controller can control. It also is your interface for writing automation code and storing it in the controller. It isn't absolutely necessary to get the system running, but it will make setup far easier. And since version 3.0 of the Omni firmware, you really can't do programming through the keypad any more. Also, PC Access is the only way to install firmware updates. Get the dealer version so that you have access to all setup parameters. (No, you don't have to be a dealer to buy it.)

* Sounders: The Omni controllers don't provide a "siren" waveform; they just apply power to the internal and external alarm outputs. So just connecting loudspeakers to them won't work; you need something like piezo buzzers for internal, and a horn and/or strobe for external if you want an external alarm. Hint: If you go to allelectronics.com, they usually have piezo buzzers really cheap.

* If you are going to use UPB lighting, get an extra PIM. This way, you can have one that remains attached to the controller while you're using the extra one to configure things with Upstart.

* If you are going to connect a computer to the controller using one of the RS232 ports, make sure you order the correct serial cable.

HAI requires the online dealers to not advertise a price below the MSRP. However, they can still sell below that price; they just can't advertise it. When you are shopping and comparing prices, make sure you call and ask if there is a better price. You may be pleasantly surprised. Don't just go by what's listed on the Web site.

Once you get the system, read through the installation manual before you do anything. When I got mine, I first did a temporary setup on my basement couch with just the power, console, Ethernet, UPB PIM, and one zone connected, and I played with that for a while in order to understand the system. If you haven't dealt with this type of system before, here's some terminology that may help:

Zone: An input to the system; something it can sense directly. For example, a motion detector or door/window sensor. All of your security-related inputs to the system are through zones. However, not all zones have to be security related; they can also be used to sense things for automation purposes.

Unit: Something the system can turn on and off. This may be one of the hardwired outputs in the controller itself, or a UPB/Insteon/Zwave/etc switch.

Area: This is a partition of the system. If you divide the system into areas, each area can be alarm armed and disarmed individually. This is sometimes useful in residential installations when, for example, you have a detached garage or an outbuilding. Most of the time, in a residential setup, you only need the one default area.

Codes: These are the four-digit numbers that you enter at the keypad to arm and disarm the alarm. You can assign one to each member of the family. Codes designated as "master" have the ability to change setup parameters. There is an "installer" code that controls access to some of the setup parameters. When you first receive the system, the installer code will be 0000. You'll want to change that, but DON'T FORGET THE INSTALLER CODE!

Flags: These are internal memory cells that can be turned "on" and "off", store a numeric value, or be used as timers. You use them in programming.

Buttons: These are blocks of code that are assigned a name and can be invoked by other code blocks, or through a console or a touchpad.

Hardware expander and expansion enclosure: This bit of terminology can be a bit confusing. They are both expanders that add zones and outputs to your system. The difference is: A hardware expander is a board that mounts in your controller enclosure and connects to the main board via a very short cable. An expansion enclosure is in its own box, with its own power supply and battery. It connects to the controller via the console data bus, and logically it looks like an extension of the controller. It can be mounted some distance away.

One other thing: HAI has unfairly gotten a rep in some circles for being DIY-unfriendly. They do have to be circumspect about it because they rely a lot on installers, but they have been great about supporting me and others here, on their own developer forum, and via email and over the phone. Last spring, my OPII got hit by lightning. It blew the output that the thermostat bus uses, and damaged the Ethernet interface. They fixed it under warranty and had it back to me in two weeks.

Also meant to add: After you order your system, while you're waiting on it to come in, spend some time reviewing the programming examples in our Programming sub-forum.

Wow Cornutt, great write-up. I applaud you.

I'd like to add that one should purchase equipment from a distributor that provides good support, and not just the lowest price. Also, make certain you buy from an authorized distributor or authorized dealer.

Thanks comutt! Very helpful

Got a couple questions

Also, you will need a phone line routed to the vicinity of the controller, and it will be highly desirable to be able to connect the controller to your home network if you have one.

I definitely plan on having a network and probably structured cable with cat6 to an enclosure. However, I'm not planning on installing a phone line (I just use my mobile phone these days). Do I really need an actual phone line and phone service or can I do what I want with a just a network?

If you are going to connect a computer to the controller using one of the RS232 ports, make sure you order the correct serial cable.
There's a wrong kind of serial cable? Where can I find out what type of cable I need?

A couple other questions:

I do plan on using a PC with the system. I'm actually a Mac guy so I'll probably buy something like a homeseer hometroller. Anyone with experience integrating such system. Homeseer has a plugin for the Omni system, but the manual is pretty low level.

What about a battery for the alarm system? Does anyone have any experience with this? It would be a pretty useless burglar alarm if the burglar only needed to shut off the breaker to my house to disable the alarm.

I definitely plan on having a network and probably structured cable with cat6 to an enclosure. However, I'm not planning on installing a phone line (I just use my mobile phone these days). Do I really need an actual phone line and phone service or can I do what I want with a just a network?

There's a wrong kind of serial cable? Where can I find out what type of cable I need?

1) No need for a phone line. HAI C3 unit will let you hook into a gsm based cellular network (ATT Tmobile). This is my systems only connection and it has been flawless. The cellular connection is monitored just fine by watchlight, but not every company's equipment can handle it. I suggest you just use watchlight since they are cheap, have great service and I know it works. You could also use your internet connection, but I don't recommend this. Internet is too flaky in my opinion and furthermore someone could cut your wire. Cellular is about as tamperproof as you could possible want for a home-security system. Just to be clear, I still think you should have your system internet enabled, just not monitored by internet.

2) I think he is referring to the connectors. Serial cable can have a lot of different things on the end. I don't have HAI's panel (just a c3 unit), so I don't know what it takes. Probably a db-9 to db-9. But it could be an rj-12, rj-45, or something else.

1) No need for a phone line. HAI C3 unit will let you hook into a gsm based cellular network (ATT Tmobile). This is my systems only connection and it has been flawless. The cellular connection is monitored just fine by watchlight, but not every company's equipment can handle it. I suggest you just use watchlight since they are cheap, have great service and I know it works. You could also use your internet connection, but I don't recommend this. Internet is too flaky in my opinion and furthermore someone could cut your wire. Cellular is about as tamperproof as you could possible want for a home-security system. Just to be clear, I still think you should have your system internet enabled, just not monitored by internet.
I'm not planning on hiring a company for alarm monitoring. I'm hoping to just monitor it myself from my mobile phone.

But you're saying I still need some connection besides internet to reliably monitor my home. Do you just use an extra mobile line added to your family plan to connect your alarm system for this?

I'm not planning on hiring a company for alarm monitoring. I'm hoping to just monitor it myself from my mobile phone.

But you're saying I still need some connection besides internet to reliably monitor my home. Do you just use an extra mobile line added to your family plan to connect your alarm system for this?

Yes, I use a prepaid ATT card in my HAI C3.

I have an Elk. It can be set to call and give a voice message when the alarm goes off. I assume HAI does something similar? But if you self monitoring your alarm you really aren't providing yourself very good security. Plus, you may be running afoul of your local codes. If it goes off and your neighbors call the police, you might get a ticket, you should check. Monitoring is not even $10/mo.

Back