Setting up Home Automation and Getting a HAI installer

I definitely plan on having a network and probably structured cable with cat6 to an enclosure. However, I'm not planning on installing a phone line (I just use my mobile phone these days). Do I really need an actual phone line and phone service or can I do what I want with a just a network?

Some kind of phone service is required so that the controller can dial you and/or your monitoring service when an alarm occurs. As an alternative to a land line, HAI offers a cell phone network interface. You have to get a GSM card for it (essentially, it's an additional phone on your plan). I've actually been thinking of getting one of those myself, because there has been a burglary ring operating around here lately where they cut the phone and cable lines at the service before they break in.

There's a wrong kind of serial cable? Where can I find out what type of cable I need?

Let me go look at the catalog... will edit here when I find it.

EDIT: Part number 21A05-2 Is the correct serial cable to connect a computer to a controller serial port.

I have an Elk. It can be set to call and give a voice message when the alarm goes off. I assume HAI does something similar?

Yes. First it dials the monitoring service, if you have one set up. After that, it will start voice dialing. You can set up a list of up to 8 phones to dial, with times of day when they should or should not be called. When you answer it will tell you what's going on, and you can then use your alarm code to take control of the system.

Just wanted to give folks an update on how my home automation system design is going...

Although I think I'd probably be able to setup a HAI system myself given enough time, I decided that I'm probably no going to have time to do it the while walls are open during my remodel. I want to make sure it's done right the first time, so I decided on hiring an integrator to help me out.

I started out by emailing 3 of the 5 star dealers found on the HAI website in my area. I didn't get a single response from any of them! I later called a different of these dealers listed on the HAI site and and left messages. Again, non of these dealers responded! I called one of the companies I emailed before and spoke to someone who said he'd look at my floorplans, and would contact me after CEDIA. I never heard from him again. I was getting pretty frustrated and thinking that maybe having a HAI system installed was not a good choice since, if I can't find anyone to help me, maybe HAI was doing some very wrong in certifying these dealers. This made me question the quality of the HAI company as a whole. I considered contacting HAI to let them know that none of their certified installers were even attempting to work with me.

On a whim, I went to the Mile High Automation website, filled out their DIY online questionnaire and uploaded my floor plans. I figured it wasn't going to cost me anything so it couldn't hurt. I was, however, skeptical about how an integrator in Colorado could help me out with my home in California. I got an email the next day from one of their Sales Support staff (Matthew Woodward). Over the week I emailed back and forth with him about what I wanted. We met online after a few days and went over my plans. He gave a pretty slick estimate with cost breakdowns and examples of stuff they'd provide. I made a few changes (mostly upgrades to my whole house audio system, which I'm also getting through them). I signed with them to get my equipment from them, have them draw up wiring and installation guides for my general contractor, and do all the programming for my equipment. So far I'm quite pleased since Mile High is moving pretty quickly (certainly more quickly than my architect or any one else I've hired to contribute to my home design).

I'll post later on how it's all going.

Thanks for the update. Can you please let them know about the CocoonTech Installer list? They really should add themselves, assuming they don't mind the extra business ;)

http://www.cocoontech.com/portal/lists/installers-integrators-directory

Back