Shielding 22/4 along with HJV in a single conduit

DELInstallations said:
I've spoken to Elk in great detail about using fiber and media converters in the past...ended up at a dead end.

I'm not sure why this fear of noise on RS-485.  Whether noise is or is not a problem is a function of the RS-485 transceivers.  These are typically so good that induced AC noise (even on unshielded twisted pair) causes no problem. That number is defined by  transceiver designs - not by cable.  Serious concern is to maintain insulation that meets the 600 volt breakdown voltage.

Your telephone lines even route long distances near 69,000 volt or 500,000 volt cables.  Even those do not create electrical noise problems.

Here I had the opportunity a few days back to see the ingress of my feeds for power, telephone and cable.

The all run from the in ground boxes next to each other underground to the house some 100 feet plus away. 

They are all run together and not separated by anything.

A westrom, regarding fiber, It's not a noise issue, it's latency according to the engineers at Elk.

@ Pete, if the LV and HV are not separated by air space in the handhold or pull box, it's not compliant unless the insulation rating is the same. LV and HV can be in proximity in a handhold, pullbox or manhole, but they need to be separated....not necessarily by a physical barrier, the difference between a junction box and pull box comes to discussion.

DELInstallations said:
A westrom, regarding fiber, It's not a noise issue, it's latency according to the engineers at Elk.

[SIZE=10.5pt]  I am confused what you are saying.  RS-485 (nanosecond response times) creates has a latency issue?  Therefore fiber would [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]aleviate[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] latency?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]First question: low voltage wire in a conduit with AC power wire is a human safety issue.   A 600 volt requirement defines the answer..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The second question asked about noise that might interfere with sensors.   Twisted pair connected to properly designed RS-485 transceivers would eliminate that problem.  If sensors are using common mode signaling, then noise obviously is a concern.  Even telephones no longer use common mode signaling.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]  Fiber is not a reasonable solution.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

@ Westrom
I spoke in detail with Elk engineers directly with this. I had a project that went well beyond the 4K 485 distance and the M1 was on the short list for proposed panel solutions.

Bringing 485 into a FOC and then from another FOC back to copper adds latency and a few other issues and Elk themselves said it will not work properly and the M1 will not be happy when it polls the devices. The latency will also slow down the bus and introduce some other issues.

That said, I use FOC's all the time and bend data to all different formats and media, have I tried it on an M1, no, but speaking with the engineers and my application for a multi million dollar property, it was not an option. (BTW, the house is on Zillow at the moment on 20 acres for 62 million).

I didn't bring up the noise point, UTP and STP should address this, barring any other consideration, however ferrites and optical isolation can be used to help mitigate the introduction of RF or other interference besides basic noise. Optical isolation does not mean the installation or running of fiber or FOC's.

LV cabling in the same raceway as HV is perfectly legal and acceptable by code and perfectly safe, the only caveat is what I mentioned....the insulation must be rated the minimum for the highest voltage that is within the raceway. IE: if you have 600V THWN in the conduit, the LV cabling is not required to be separated as long as it's jacket carries the same or greater voltage rating. There is no requirement for fusing, overcurrent protection, etc. because when the cabling leaves the raceway, it is not connected to a system that operates on HV. That is also assuming the insulation of all the cables is intact and there is no damage while pulling the cabling in. Once the cabling leaves the raceway into an enclosure, handhold, etc. at the earliest possible location, the cabling should be separated.

I've had to perform this dance many times....CCTV cameras on lighting poles, installed after the asphalt/concrete is down and cutting is not an option or budgeted....the "oops" factor of installing contacts and comm's out to gates and operators...How about elevator traveler cables (they have 600V and LV in the same cable) they end up in a enclosure at both ends that has 600V and lower and LV..... like I said, the cabling is out there if you look for it and it can be installed and still be compliant, but are the materials and methods going to be known at the big box stores, nope.

@ Pete, if the LV and HV are not separated by air space in the handhold or pull box, it's not compliant unless the insulation rating is the same. LV and HV can be in proximity in a handhold, pullbox or manhole, but they need to be separated....not necessarily by a physical barrier, the difference between a junction box and pull box comes to discussion.
They are separated before they go into the ground, then the 3 phases, comcast cable and telephone cable are run together underground to the house.

DELInstallations said:
Bringing 485 into a FOC and then from another FOC back to copper adds latency and a few other issues and Elk themselves said it will not work properly and the M1 will not be happy when it polls the devices. The latency will also slow down the bus and introduce some other issues.

Why discuss FOC?  Make a connection RS-485 to RS-485 - a straight twisted pair copper connection.   RS-485 only means twisted cooper wire.  It is only 40 feet.  Even optical isolation is unnecessary.

A potential noise problem is not high frequency.  Ferrite core would do nothing to avert typical sensor noise.  Problematic noise is low frequency - well below what any ferrite core would address.  Ferrites are typically to stop electronics from transmitting RF noise.

Back