Simple Security Wiring ?

Steve

First - Yipee - I own an M1, no sleep for me this weekend! :) . Thank you Martin for your lighting fast shipping. Just wish my second package wasn't delayed by hurricane Katrina. Anyway, I've ripped out the old alarm system and am trying to plan the M1 install. I don't have whole house audio or video but trying to keep that in the back of my mind. I've taken over the closet where the security system was and I'd like to use a different location/layout to keep things nice plan for future and my existing wires - around 30 of them won't reach where I want to put the new M1 panel.

Is there any reason why I could not use a terminal block like this to terminate the existing wires and then come off that and route to new location? I don't see any issues but just wanted to check in with the experts.

Yipee - I own an M1. Oh, sorry, I said that already. :p

I actually want to install a terminal strip as well, so I don't have to worry about future upgrades, where I might have to move the wires to a different panel. If I have i.e. 30 wires, do I have to have a terminal strip with 60 connectors, or can I connect one of the wires of each wiring run to the same terminal (similar to how most panels & I/O devices allow you to share the negative wire between zones)?

I've got the whole closet now! I've also got those B connectors but wanted to try to keep things neat and well cable managed. Ideally I would use one of those closeout Elk boxes I mentioned as a junction box but I didn't order any yet. I'll probably mount the strips up by the ceiling where the wires come in and go from there. Unfortunately the wires won't be in a locked box but the closet door will be locked so I guess I should be ok.

The strips are 'dual connectors', basically 2 screws for same connection. I'm going to do 1 for 1, that is for each wire in, 1 wire out. Tying multiple together like commons, etc I think will just make troubleshooting harder. 1 to 1 I think would be easier for trouble shooting and cable management? I'm going to use the 8 wire blocks so they will match up nicely (2 blocks for each input/expander) and probably 1 or 2 miscellaneous for sirens/strobes/keypads, etc. I'll post some pics when I get it set up, hopefully in the next few days.

electron said:
If I have i.e. 30 wires, do I have to have a terminal strip with 60 connectors, or can I connect one of the wires of each wiring run to the same terminal (similar to how most panels & I/O devices allow you to share the negative wire between zones)?
I don't know. It depends upon if the "common" on the alarm panel is really a global common or a local common. I would assume that on an Elk panel the group of 8 or 16 inputs would share a common. But I don't know if one input board shares its common with another input board. They might use separate commons for some reason. David?

Some common practices I have seen (and practiced):

It is a good idea to always terminate field wiring (especially if it runs through the walls) onto some type of terminal block or patch panel. 66 blocks are very popular for this purpose but terminal strips will also work.

Even if you have a common ground for panel inputs you should give every conductor of field wiring it's own termination point. That way field wiring can be easily reconfigured when things change. If you need to combine a bunch of stuff like common ground connections, do it on the panel side of the terminal strips.

Back