Simply Automated and UPB gen II/III

Mr Spock

I don't want to beat a dead horse on this subject.  Its been debated over and over...

It took me about 2 years to fully figure out all my UPB problems and fix them.  I was forced to install a Pulseworx UPB repeater in my breaker box.  I first tried to use the SA inverting phase coupler but it did not improve the cross phase signal strength enough.  When I have intermittent noise issues on the powerline the passive coupler was just not strong enough to overcome it.  The active coupler seems to do the job, even for my SA products. 

However as most know, SA products are gen I and therefore won't work with Upstart's device programing or communications tests when a repeater is installed and devices are on the opposite phase of the PIM.  I'm now experiencing this heartburn first hand.

I did a quick google search on "Simply Automated Gen 2 modification" and came across this link at Simply Automated.  Is SA praising HAI and gen III technology?

http://simply-automated.com/blog/2014/upb-gen-ii-iii/

So from now on I can't buy any more SA products even though I really like them.  May have to go with Web Mountain on some stuff and pay the extra $.  My primary UPB brand is going to be HAI/Leviton.  Glad I figured this out before installing a big UPB system.

The active coupler seems to do the job, even for my SA products.

I utilize an HAI repeater for my hodgepodge HAI, PCS and SA UPB switches and my stuff works.  (automation lines relating to links and direct connects).

I do also have a PCS and an SA phase coupler in place but both are in off mode at the breakers.

What's your complaints to the link above?

SA firmware has the technical upgrades of Gen II and III such as timers and blink, but retains the Gen I signal sensitivity.

Gen II devices were intentionally set to be less snsitive to give them greater noise discrimination, at the expnse of being less reliable to valid UPB signals because they don't act on weak valid signals.

Everything is a compromise.

I have a 70+ unit install in a 3 building property with three power panels.
This system is almost exclusively using SA products, including 3 couplers.
The reliability has been outstanding for the past 5 years.

Mr Spock said:
I don't want to beat a dead horse on this subject.  Its been debated over and over...

It took me about 2 years to fully figure out all my UPB problems and fix them.  I was forced to install a Pulseworx UPB repeater in my breaker box.  I first tried to use the SA inverting phase coupler but it did not improve the cross phase signal strength enough.  When I have intermittent noise issues on the powerline the passive coupler was just not strong enough to overcome it.  The active coupler seems to do the job, even for my SA products. 

However as most know, SA products are gen I and therefore won't work with Upstart's device programing or communications tests when a repeater is installed and devices are on the opposite phase of the PIM.  I'm now experiencing this heartburn first hand.

I did a quick google search on "Simply Automated Gen 2 modification" and came across this link at Simply Automated.  Is SA praising HAI and gen III technology?

http://simply-automated.com/blog/2014/upb-gen-ii-iii/

So from now on I can't buy any more SA products even though I really like them.  May have to go with Web Mountain on some stuff and pay the extra $.  My primary UPB brand is going to be HAI/Leviton.  Glad I figured this out before installing a big UPB system.

Are you sure that you don't have one or more defective switches? Are your signal problems specific to one or more devices or are all devices having signal problems?

I have a small system with just seven devices and one of my switches was having signal problems.When I looked at the system with upstart for signal strength and noise I found the one switch to have a significantly weaker signal strength than the rest of the devices on the system. I sent the switch back to SA and they tested it and found it to be transmitting a weak signal. After replacing the switch all is good.

Mike.

Back