SmartHome announces ICON Lamp & Appliance modules

I got a few last Monday. Not tested too much yet other than find the ICON Version of the relay type. Sputters and has fits with an inductive ballast in a small 15 watt undercounter light. Same as the ApplianceLinc V2. That is with local control disabled in the X10 mode. Also the ratings plate on the ICON matches the ApplianceLinc V2s but the web site and users manuals say the ICON has a lower rating? I had to peak inside one and the controller chips firmware label has the word Beta on it. :angry:

What am I missing here? I see RF receivers, and claims to excellent range using 900MHz, but what is used to generate the RF? I don't see any wireless remotes or palm pad type of devices. Other than using "existing X10" devices that do not take advantage of the features of Insteon, what /where are the options? :angry:

First Alert has announced Insteon smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors that will take advantage of the Insteon wireless protocol for communication.

I don't know much about them, but have seen a few press releases...

Paul

Gemini said:
What am I missing here? I see RF receivers, and claims to excellent range using 900MHz, but what is used to generate the RF? I don't see any wireless remotes or palm pad type of devices. Other than using "existing X10" devices that do not take advantage of the features of Insteon, what /where are the options? :ph34r:
Right now, Insteon uses RF to bridge phases and to bridge noisy or signal-sucking areas of your home power circuits. The same RF tranceivers are intended to bridge wireless devices like Insteon remote controls, motion detectors, smoke detectors and other wireless devices to the powerline, once people start building them.

Tom

One piece of feedback I can give regarding these (which are similar in looks to the full versions): My wife happened to love the control and being able to turn it on from the nightstand (overhead, and lamps on the dresser, etc). The units were not visible, and everything was great.

When I setup a controllinc and lamplincs for some lighted topiaries she had, which happened to to be placed near an outlet where the control would be seen, I got a very negative reaction.

Consider this if you have a discerning spouse... They are rather noticeable.

On the other hand, I think I understand why there are not any plug in modules: consider the issues with appliance lincs, and how can you 'ensure' that outlets are used for only lamps currently? Regardless if this is right or not, I'll solve the aesthetic problem with outlet modules when they are ready.

Mike said:
One piece of feedback I can give regarding these (which are similar in looks to the full versions): My wife happened to love the control and being able to turn it on from the nightstand (overhead, and lamps on the dresser, etc). The units were not visible, and everything was great.

When I setup a controllinc and lamplincs for some lighted topiaries she had, which happened to to be placed near an outlet where the control would be seen, I got a very negative reaction.

Consider this if you have a discerning spouse... They are rather noticeable.

On the other hand, I think I understand why there are not any plug in modules: consider the issues with appliance lincs, and how can you 'ensure' that outlets are used for only lamps currently? Regardless if this is right or not, I'll solve the aesthetic problem with outlet modules when they are ready.
I can't say I see much difference between different vendors' plug-in modules. The Icon Lamp and Appliance modules have a "cleaner" look because they don't have a pass-through outlet on the front, but in most of my applications (usually hidden behind furniture a few inches above the floor), the Lamplinc and Appliancelinc pass-through outlet lets me avoid adding a cord octapus or power strip.

There are no Insteon-controlled outlets yet, but you could certainly wire an Icon Relay switch side-by-side in a double-gang box with an outlet to create a controlled outlet. I haven't run into a discerning spouse yet who was offended by the clean lines of a Decora wall switch.

Tom

fitzpatri8 said:
Gemini said:
What am I missing here? I see RF receivers, and claims  to excellent range using 900MHz, but what is used to generate the RF? I don't see any wireless remotes or palm pad type of devices. Other than using "existing X10" devices that do not take advantage of the features of Insteon, what /where are the options?  :ph34r:
Right now, Insteon uses RF to bridge phases and to bridge noisy or signal-sucking areas of your home power circuits. The same RF tranceivers are intended to bridge wireless devices like Insteon remote controls, motion detectors, smoke detectors and other wireless devices to the powerline, once people start building them.

Tom
So things are being developed...ok, but how would a general consumer know what outlets to plug them into to achieve the RF bridge between the two phases. Luck or just law of averages?

There is a setup process which will guide you. I only did it once (so I might have this mixed up), but it's something as simple as the light keeps blinking on one of them until the other one is on the other phase.

Gemini,

This is part of the setup process for the SignaLinc RFs. For further information on how to set them up I would suggest you look at the product pages at smarthome. We have a quickstart guide and the manual is also posted on the page that details it in more depth. :ph34r:

Back