SmartHome announces new INSTEON product line

electron

Administrator
Staff member
SmartHome has created a new INSTEON based product line named ICON. The major attraction is how low the prices are:

2876DB ICON DIMMER SWITCH (WHITE): $19.99
2876SB ICON ON/OFF SWITCH (WHITE): $19.99

They will be shipping next week, quantities are limited!
What is ICON?
ICON by Smarthome is our newest line of lighting and appliance control products utilizing INSTEON technology. ICON is our value-oriented line of products and has several of the same features as our regular products without the added cost. ICON is another great addition to the Smarthome family of products.

At half the price of regular INSTEON this could be a great solution for areas where the fancy LEDs are not really important (garage, basement, attic) But....

Be careful about the grearly reduced load ratings!!! People are already having problems with 600W dimmers getting too hot. You will have to be very careful with a 300W unit.

Also Smarthome already had reduced the relay rating from 15A with V1 switches to 13A with Insteon. !0 Amps is really low! Maybe OK for CFL lighting but not much else.

Not sure if I will use these or just wait for a sale on the regular Insteon stuff.

Now if they only had some software. May be an alternative for at least flourescents. Note though that the dimmer is only 300W. The 600's already seem to get hotter than others, I'm guessing these would only be good on the smallest of lighting circuits - forget those 4 can plus recessed strings. Smarthome seems to be missing priorities though - software is whats needed now, not more devices.

Software AND keypads with relays instead of dimmers!

and appliance modules that don't self destruct with certain loads
and screw-in modules
and fixture modules
and an X-10 to Insteon translator
and...

WOW! $20 for a 2 way switch. SmartHome is definitely doing the "Smart" thing to gain marker share. Granted it's 300Watts but for most single room overhead lights this is all that is needed for 75% of most homes.

Rupp said:
Granted it's 300Watts but for most single room overhead lights this is all that is needed for 75% of most homes.
Rupp - I agree that these will lbe a good fit for lots of areas.

I've got X10 Switchlincs throughout my house and bought them back when they were $70-$80 each for two-way models. Spending that much for a single light in a closet, hallway, pantry, etc. was painful!

In fact, I've got a few areas with lights that are seldom used and still aren't automated... maybe I'll give a few of these a try and see how theX10 compatiblilty works.

Can you even buy a non-automated electronic dimmer for $20???

Paul

$20 is going to convince a lot of people on the fence about what technology to go with. Remember, these switches can also function as 2-way X10 switches!

electron said:
$20 is going to convince a lot of people on the fence about what technology to go with. Remember, these switches can also function as 2-way X10 switches!
That's what I'm saying. This even brings back the affordiability and subsequent fun of automating. Someone at Smarthome is listening and listening well. Now lets hope Insteon is all that's it's supposed to be. I haven't heard any complaints. This could be because no one is using it or it's just that good?

I have hesitated up to now to replace X-10 on some of my 3 and 4 and 5 way circuits because Insteon requires you to use a full switch at each location where currently I have cheap X-10 slave switches.

With these new Icon switches I can use 1 regular Insteon switch connected to the load and the cheaper switches in all of the slave locations.

Thats a great idea using the icon's as companion switches.

On the x10, if you are using Insteon, doesn't that suck up the x10 signal like they warned with earlier x10 2-ways?

That is what was predicted but so far it has not been much of an issue. In fact I think it has helped because noise in the X-10 frequencies also gets sucked up. When my BoosterLincs and Repeaters bring the level back up, only valid signals are restored so I end up with a cleaner powerline overall!

*** Edit to add that this is after installing 35 Insteon devices***

Mike said:
Thats a great idea using the icon's as companion switches.

On the x10, if you are using Insteon, doesn't that suck up the x10 signal like they warned with earlier x10 2-ways?
I now have 7 Insteon switches running in X10 mode and haven't noticed any difference in my x10 operations at all.

For many they will be exactly what is needed. There are a few other differences. Less scenes for both X10 mode and Insteon Mode. The dimmer version has no variable ramp rate only preset. Don't know if too many use it, but they don't have a bargraph type led display for indicating dim level single green led. White only trim [other colors shortly]. Also one year warantee not two with an opion for adding to seven years. I think if they were avilable when I got my SwitchLinc V2 Relays. I would have purchased them.

As for other problems. I am one of the users with ApplianceLinc V2s that burn up if a ballast type flourescent lamp is switched on and off. 15 watt undercounter still in production. Mine also chatters; the blue led flashses on and off if that type lamp is on it.

That is great to know as I have a bunch of v1 switchlincs that I was thinking to move to the basement or other areas and was wondering if there was any hope on automating them if I was using them.

Good to hear that my hopes should not yet be dashed.

Back