Smarthome has posted 2 new Icon insteon devices

eufreka

New ICON Insteon Devices posted at Smarthome...

ICON Lamp Dimmer - 2856D2B
For maximum lighting control throughout your home, plug each lamp into the only dimmer compatible with the revolutionary INSTEON technology, where messages are transmitted throughout your home both wirelessly and through the home's e $19.99

ICON Appliance Module - 2856S3B
Make your home the envy of your friends and neighbors with the sophistication and elegance of the ICON Dimmer Switch
$19.99

I wonder if the Icon Appliance module has the same issues with its Local Control circuitry that the ApplianceLinc V2 has? Can anybody explain why they even include this troublesome feature into modern appliance modules? Apart from the problems the V2s have with certain loads, the local control circuit has always been a problem since someone who turns a light on locally might also turn it off locally and thus disable remote control.

Does anybody really use or want this feature?

I use local control a lot, especially with table lamps. I don't have any problems tho.

upstatemike said:
I wonder if the Icon Appliance module has the same issues with its Local Control circuitry that the ApplianceLinc V2 has? Can anybody explain why they even include this troublesome feature into modern appliance modules? Apart from the problems the V2s have with certain loads, the local control circuit has always been a problem since someone who turns a light on locally might also turn it off locally and thus disable remote control.

Does anybody really use or want this feature?
Yes, its a great feature :D

Ie. in our sunroom, we have a reading lamp that turns on at sunset and off when the security panel is armed in night mode. Sometimes when reading I want a little extra light and I simply can reach over and turn it on. No looking for a wall switch or a PDA with NetRemote on it.

The Pod said:
eufreka said:
SmartHome also released a new SwitchLinc V2 Relay with a built in timer.

The Pod
Make sure you are aware that the timer will NOT send a status update when the timer expires. If you have it linked to a KeypadLinc or an automation controller they will NOT know that the timer has turned the light off.

upstatemike said:
The Pod said:
eufreka said:
SmartHome also released a new SwitchLinc V2 Relay with a built in timer.

The Pod
Make sure you are aware that the timer will NOT send a status update when the timer expires. If you have it linked to a KeypadLinc or an automation controller they will NOT know that the timer has turned the light off.
So is the "controllable" way to accomplish this to use an on/off relay switch that triggers a timed macro?

(Believe me, I don't know what I am talking about but just wondering.)

Can I use an ICON relay switch that

(1) turns on the bathroom fan, and

(2) starts a macro that waits 10 minutes and then turns off the fan?

This appears to be possible in mControl, at least. Their manual shows the example of detecting outdoor motion, turning on the security lights, and then executing a 10-minute delay and turning them back off.

Granted it doesn't offer the flexibility of optionally extending the time, but for a simple timer situation, won't that work?

EDIT 3/25/2006: I actually installed the ICON relay, and it works great with a timer event within HomeSeer to shut off the fan after whatever time you set.

I don't know the specifics of how to do this in mControl, but yes, your theory is good. IMHO, those switches with built in timers are for people who don't have automation.

Back