Smoke Detector Placement with Existing 120VAC Smoke Alarms

johngalt

I have existing 120V wired smoke alarms with battery backup throughout my house.

However, I would like my panel to monitor for fire and CO in order to protect my house from fire and CO as well as trying to protect my dog if a fire starts when no one is home.

I was planning on the System sensor 2TWA-B (smoke and 135 head) and COSMO2W (smoke and CO).

The attached plans show the location of my current smokes in red, and the smoke/CO unit is red/blue.

Any suggestions for placement?  I read a bit about placement, but I didn't know how things change when I am also using the 120V sensors.  Should I add a sensor one in the attic?  Crawlspace?

Only slightly related should I use FPL, FPLP or FPLR wire.  I am going up about 6 feet from my panel which is flush mounted into the attic and then all the wiring will be up there.  I guess the 6 feet up is considered a riser so I should use FPLR, but wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Smoke Plans.png
    Smoke Plans.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 18
I'll let others reply on wiring, but keep this in mind. The 120V smoke alarms are there for one purpose, to wake you up and save your life if there is fire and smoke.  They are fast-acting ionization type detectors.  The panel smoke sensors have a bit different goal. They are presumably monitored and will get the fire department to your house when you are not there.  If you were there, you'd call the fire department yourself.  So these are typically photoelectric sensors, maybe a bit more cautious so as not to cause a false alarm, and they are to save your house.  So while your 120V sensors are outside your bedrooms, you really don't need to excessively cover that area as strongly, and focus more on covering the whole house.  I like heat sensors in the attic and garage because many fires start there.  (Smoke sensors typically can't be installed there.)  Also think of these sensors as a supplement to your others when you are home. 

Hope that helps.

The Ion vs. Photo argument is moot and really doesn't apply as to if one is better than the other because the answer is no. The only difference is the general quality of the device and tolerance to outside influences (Ion alert on the product of combustion and typically false when cooking smoke is present). One responds quicker to smouldering fires and the other responds quicker to flaming fires. Part of the reason why there's the option for a thermal on the PE type detectors.

The view isn't to supplement the existing detectors in areas with no coverage....the minimum starting point should be to install a detector central and at least one per livable floor. Unfinished crawl spaces and attics (uninhabitable space) should NOT have detectors installed. In the OP's case, I would install one outside the bedrooms as a given....then either heats or additional smokes throughout the house. Maybe playroom or mud area. Looks like the floorplan is open.

FPL is fine for a residence. You do not have what would be classified as a riser. Plenum would be highly unusual in a residence.

Thanks all.

The fire station is about 500 yards away so I would imagine I have pretty good response time and they would be here before I could cancel a false alarm.  I don't want to waste their time with me doing something stupid like putting a ROR heat detector directly above our steam oven.  I assume that I should avoid any detectors of any time in the kitchen living room area.  There is about a 12 inch beam seperating the play room, mudroom and bar area.  So I figure putting a detector in there will be close enough but not to close to the kitchen.  My floor plan doesn't show it, but I have a 120V smoke in the playroom and haven't had a false alarm in the year we have been in the house.

I read that heat detectors in the attic should be 20 degrees above ambient.  My attic has spray foam insulation so 135 should be fine as my attic shouldn't get above 90 let alone 105.  I also read the attic should always be 190/195.

Any recommendations for heat detectors?

The floor plan is mostly open and the whole house is only 1600 square feet so I don't think I need many sensors to cover everything.  

DEL - Thanks for clearing things up regarding FPL rated wire.

Back