Smoke or heat detector for mechanicals room?

CORT

My Elk panel is in my house's mechanicals room (basement), and I would like to install some sort of fire detector (wired to the Elk panel). The room also houses a conventional gas water heater and a gas furnace. The furnace is a high efficiency unit vented outside through a PVC pipe and the water heater has a typical vent pipe. Should this room be monitored with a smoke detector, heat detector, or something else?

Thanks

My Elk panel is in my house's mechanicals room (basement), and I would like to install some sort of fire detector (wired to the Elk panel). The room also houses a conventional gas water heater and a gas furnace. The furnace is a high efficiency unit vented outside through a PVC pipe and the water heater has a typical vent pipe. Should this room be monitored with a smoke detector, heat detector, or something else?

Thanks

How about a smoke detector + a gas detector?

Thanks

How about a smoke detector + a gas detector?

Don't forget the co2 dector.

From the National Fire Alarm Code (NFPA 72), section A.11.8.3, in reference to adding smoke
detectors beyond what the code requires......

.......Are More Smoke Detectors Desirable? The required number of smoke detectors might
not provide reliable early warning protection for those areas separated by a door from the
areas protected by the required smoke detectors. For this reason, it is recommended that the
householder consider the use of additional smoke detectors for those areas for increased
protection. The additional areas include the basement, bedrooms, dining room, furnace room,
utility room, and hallways not protected by the required smoke detectors. The installation
of smoke detectors in kitchens, attics (finished or unfinished), or garages is not normally
recommended, as these locations occasionally experience conditions that can result in improper
operation.

Back