smoke sensor from builder

If it is not installed yet, perhaps you can specify it? Sometimes you have no choice.

You could replace it with a low voltage one, but no one responded on if that is against code or otherwise will introduce a problem. It is just larger wire so it make sense, but I have never heard of using electrical wiring for low voltage purposes.

If you try and use a relay on it, you need more wiring (which I think was part of the problem. If the idea Bmil proposed won't work based on the model of detector, perhaps check the following (a variation on the same theme): Something I considered on mine but never tried was to use the remote annunciator outputs to get detector level reporting for two wire smokes. Why is this applicable here? Since code says they all have to go off if one goes off, you can link to the closest one and use it as an input. Then write a rule to trigger a smoke alarm (assuming you can write such a rule with the elk, I have not tried this). I never tried this but it seemed to be straight forward and logically made sense. This was more for logging purposes since the elk would already have the notification of alarm. And yes, you could just go to the individual smoke and look for the red light.

If they don't have integrated sounders, and you are depending on the elk, you may want to consider carefully as this is life safety equipment. It is one thing to extend the chain of notification, but if this is something that your life could depend on and some hacks are involved, I'd be a bit more cautious if it was my home.

Back