Snap link has snapped

ausphoche

I've enjoyed using Snap link for quite a while. I use it on my iPhone 7.   About two month's ago, it went flakey.  I could log in and see certain panels (Security, temperature) but when I went to control, the list came back blank. Nothing! Nice blue background but no units to turn on or off. Eventually, Thermostats went away and now I get "Can not connect". I've updated the Cable modem's new IP address, no luck. I've made sure the port forwarding is on (router gives me an FTP option but not a TCP, but that should work, shouldn't it?) The keys are correct.  Did someone stop supporting the snaplink app?

Snaplink works fine, and no, FTP is not TCP. Was the problem you got a new router or modem?  Are you using DDNS and is it resolving correctly? Also not all routers forward to an internal IP when you use an outside IP if you are on the LAN.  So, nope you are not performing your port forwarding correctly. Snap Link hasn't changed in many years, nor has the Omni Firmware, so it's something else. 

ano said:
Snaplink works fine, and no, FTP is not TCP. Was the problem you got a new router or modem?  Are you using DDNS and is it resolving correctly? Also not all routers forward to an internal IP when you use an outside IP if you are on the LAN.  So, nope you are not performing your port forwarding correctly. Snap Link hasn't changed in many years, nor has the Omni Firmware, so it's something else. 
Thanks! 

DDNS?   How do I tell if resolving correctly?  Is there an external ping like function I can use? Some other way to tell if I'm being blocked by the router? 

No. Router has been the same for years, too. However, it did somehow manage to loose many of my reserved addresses and the names I gave them. I've fixed that, but no change in the function perceived. I also get same issue when I try to access internal to my network. No difference between external and internal as far as what I don't see on snap link.

I'm not greatly network savy so I don't understand why I don't have an option for TCP/UDP, but FTP is the closest Option I have, Here are the menu options Netgear gives me:  FTP, HTTP, ICUII, IP phone, Net Meeting/H.323, News, Quake II & III, Real Audio, telenet, VPN-PPTP. 

As for the other suggestion (sorry, I'm an newbie so only one post today), I did create a "custom" service using TCP/UDP and TCP only and darned if the router didn't register it as FTP!  Apparently the router thinks it's the same. I can not force it to say TCP only.  I can pick TCP only on the custom service menu, but the router software changes it to FTP when I apply the change. Oh, and it also references internal ports at the same time. 

I've never had DDNS and it worked fine. Canyouseeme can't find the port, so I'll go with a block either at spectrum or the router. 

ausphoche said:
Thanks! 

DDNS?   How do I tell if resolving correctly?  Is there an external ping like function I can use? Some other way to tell if I'm being blocked by the router? 
Yes. First, log into your router and see what your external IP address is. Then PING what your DDNS address name is, and it should return the same IP address. I don't know what computer you have, but on a Mac, you open "terminal" and type PING xxxxxx, where xxxxxx is the DDNS name you have. You can be inside or outside your house, it doesn't matter because the DDNS address is external.

If your router hasn't changed, this doesn't apply, but some routers don't correctly resolve DDNS addresses back into your house. So if your OMNI is at 192.168.0.20, you need to use that IP when you are inside. Use the DDNS address when you are outside (assuming your port is opened correctly.). 

Also, if you have a typical router, you can do an external port scan of the DDNS address, and it will show port 4369 open.  

For example, try this site:  https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/

For IP use your IP address (not DDNS), for port use 4369.  

So I have a question about this port... Can I change the port from 4369 to see if that works? EVERYTHING says this port is blocked or not being forwarded. Is it straight forward just to change the port number? 

ausphoche said:
ausphoche, on 06 Aug 2020 - 10:28, said:
So I have a question about this port... Can I change the port from 4369 to see if that works? EVERYTHING says this port is blocked or not being forwarded. Is it straight forward just to change the port number?
You can change the Omni port number with the keypad or with PC Access. It's also likely your router can "translate" the port number to a different one on the public Internet. So it can stay 4369 on the Omni, but appear as 1234 on the public side of your Internet port.

Having said that, I can tell you port 4369 is VERY rarely used, so it is VERY VERY unlikely that your ISP blocks it. They tend to block ports to applications with security problems, and this port is not one of those.

I should also add, I monitor my public IP port for "hacking" and I see MANY attempts, but I have never seen one to port 4369. There just isn't any money in it. Here is a 3 minute view of hacker attempts to my public IP port. The "Application Name" is the port number and protocol:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JpZb-tY1QcEdn_KiqgC_2btH6jpuALtR/view?usp=sharing

That gives you an idea on how many attacks there are, from all over the world, but breaking into your Omni is not their priority. 

I still use Snaplink over here via PFSense IPSec server VPN with no issues. 

Today you can run VPN on any iOS phone or tablet, Windows 10 or Android tablets or phones.

pete_c said:
I still use Snaplink over here via PFSense IPSec server VPN with no issues. 

Today you can run VPN on any iOS phone or tablet, Windows 10 or Android tablets or phones.
My router handles SSL-VPN (and IPSec VPN) which works fine, but the Omni is so low-risk, I usually don't use the VPN to access it. Its to much work if I just want to check the temperature of the house. If hackers want to take hours and hours of their time to turn on my livingroom light, more power to them. 

Yes SSL-VPN is OpenVPN which also runs on PFSense.  I am using primarily IPSec / L2TP VPN.

Now though it is much easier to configure VPN than it was a few years ago such that I use it for any access to my home network. (anything on the network).

ano said:
Yes. First, log into your router and see what your external IP address is. Then PING what your DDNS address name is, and it should return the same IP address. I don't know what computer you have, but on a Mac, you open "terminal" and type PING xxxxxx, where xxxxxx is the DDNS name you have. You can be inside or outside your house, it doesn't matter because the DDNS address is external.

If your router hasn't changed, this doesn't apply, but some routers don't correctly resolve DDNS addresses back into your house. So if your OMNI is at 192.168.0.20, you need to use that IP when you are inside. Use the DDNS address when you are outside (assuming your port is opened correctly.). 

Also, if you have a typical router, you can do an external port scan of the DDNS address, and it will show port 4369 open.  

For example, try this site:  https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/

For IP use your IP address (not DDNS), for port use 4369.  

ano said:
You can change the Omni port number with the keypad or with PC Access. It's also likely your router can "translate" the port number to a different one on the public Internet. So it can stay 4369 on the Omni, but appear as 1234 on the public side of your Internet port.

Having said that, I can tell you port 4369 is VERY rarely used, so it is VERY VERY unlikely that your ISP blocks it. They tend to block ports to applications with security problems, and this port is not one of those.

I should also add, I monitor my public IP port for "hacking" and I see MANY attempts, but I have never seen one to port 4369. There just isn't any money in it. Here is a 3 minute view of hacker attempts to my public IP port. The "Application Name" is the port number and protocol:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JpZb-tY1QcEdn_KiqgC_2btH6jpuALtR/view?usp=sharing

That gives you an idea on how many attacks there are, from all over the world, but breaking into your Omni is not their priority. 

So I used the port scanner mentioned in the first post and it reports the "port is blocked".  I followed Netgear's instructions for port forwarding and the software claims it should be enabled. But any attempt to access 4369 from Snap link on my phone or the port scanner get's no results. It matters not if I'm on the local network or accessing externally.  It always use to work on both and I have no idea what changed to make it stop working. The only thing I do know is that the router "forgot" some fixed addresses I was sure I had entered. Due to a power outage some of the DHCP addresses got duplicated, but NONE of the Omni's addresses were on DHCP.  

Is there any way to see if the port blockage is internal to the local network/router? 

OK Lets see if we can get this working.  

I did also find this port forwarding tester here...
https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

But lets start at the beginning.... Step 1, Set your Omni to have a fixed IP address and use port 4369.  Go to your keypad, and press SETUP (#9), then MISC (#6)
1) Press the down arrow, and you should see your IP address AND the port.  Write Those Down.

2) Now, as you say, the OMNI doesn't use DHCP, but your router likely DOES, because of this you should reserve the OMNI IP address in the router, so your router doesn't give the address to anybody else.  To do this you need the MAC address of the OMNI.  There are several home port scanners out there that can find this. I use LANScan on the Mac, but there are free utilities on the PC too.  Run a scan of your home network, and get the MAC address of your OMNI, at the IP address you found above.  (Your router may tell you the MAC address as well.)  Your MAC address might look something like this:  
00:07:A6:01:21:47   Write this MAC address down.

3) Next step, reserve the IP in your router for this MAC address. On your NETGEAR Router... Select ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup
You should see "Address Reservation" and select ADD.  
It will ask you for two things, the IP address, and the MAC address. You have them both. Save this, then reboot your router.  
YES, your OMNI IP is fixed, but the router doesn't know that and MAY give this address to so other device. So this is a very good idea.  

4) NOW we will open the port on the Netgear router. Port Forwarding....
Select Port Forwarding NOT Port Triggering. Select "Add Custom Service"
So you have to enter a "Service Name" and you can say "HAI" 
Enter the IP address, and 4369 for both start port and end port, and pick "TCP/UDP" for protocol. 

5) Now do you have DDNS?  This is basically your public IP address. This MAY change, so you just can't write it down, as it will change.  For now just Google "what is my ip address?"

6) Now click the link above, enter your public IP address, and port 4369, and does it say its open?  
Hopefully, but its possible it may not, but lets assume it says its open.

Now back to DDNS, if you don't have that, you need it.  I like DynDNS, that used to be free. I would find a free one.  NOIP is free, but you have to login ever 30 days or they delete it.  How these work, you register, and pick a name, then you run software on your PC/Mac to phones home and tells them your IP address.  Maybe something like abc "123abc.DynDNS.com" 

Then use 123abc.DynDNS.com in Snaplink as your IP address, use port 4369 as your port, and you should be set.  

Hope this helps.  

One more thing.  As I alluded to above, he tool https://www.yougetsi...ols/open-ports/ might not always be accurate.  That is because better routers don't give away the fact that a port is open.  I tried that port scanner on my home, and it said port 4369 is closed, when I know that isn't the case. So don't use that as the ONLY way to tell if your port is open. 

I’m having similar issues. I reset the Arankis router as I did not know username or password. Now I can access the router and change things but I’m having trouble following the instructions listed above. First problem is I’m unable to find MAC address of the OMNI. The Arankis router shows everything else that’s connected but not the Omni.

Back