Software Reviews

ginigma

Hi, I've been following this and other forums for a while now, and I'm not sure I've seen what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of a site that has a matrix of all the software products used for controlling Insteon devices? I'm looking for something that has a features/functionality matrix, you know, features down the side and products across the top, with a checkmark if that product has that feature. Looking for something that has Homeseer, Powerhome, Smarthome manager, Girder, and many, many others.

Thanks

The features / functionality is currently really restricted by the Insteon SDK that SmartHome supports. It is still early in it's evolution and isn't all there yet. A few companies have decided to roll their own but that strategy might backfire if Smarthome changes any of it's firmware calls which would break the applications that use the direct interface method. So, there isn't a whole lot of differentiation between the software companies specifically with Insteon support. There is a WHOLE lot of differences on the rest of the software packages capabilities.

Don't forget MainLobby which also supports Insteon. We haven't launched our plugin for Insteon yet, as we don't want to release something not ready for prime time like all other companys have that are using the Insteon SDK. I happen to be using the MainLobby Insteon plugin in my house and it works well, just not full featured due to the above.

I'm also busy putting the final touches on a project that allows the ADI Ocelot and Leopard controllers to send Insteon commands. There is a bit of hardware involved (a one chip circuit) to connect a SECU16IR output to a Powerlinc V2 serial. It should be available in the next few days.

Back