Solar Panel with inverter - will it interfere?

If you live in a cold area, you would generally keep the batteries in the basement. So, the temperature
if you have a basement. depending on the batteries you used, you may also have to vent the basement. the link below has a chart on temperature affects.

based lifespan thing doesn't "count". You don't end up checking the water levels, as you would use deep cycle batteries, do not get as effected as the "car" batteries you are referring to ("car" batteries are the only ones I am aware of that are hurt by a deep cycle). Expecting to replace the batteries. I do not have solid numbers, however, most of the better units do a charging that is similar to how a Batterminder works. As such, they last a LOT longer then you are indicating. I've had batteries (2 of them to be
panels have a 30 year lifespan, so replacing batteries every 5-10 years depending on what type you bought and how often you cycle them. this has some good info on deep cycle batteries http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Why would you just "dump" the batteries in a field? Most places around where I live will take them for free, as they process them to get the lead out. They actually make a profit from that.
sorry forgot my [sarcasm] tag.

If one battery died...why would you need to replace the whole bank? I would replace that one battery.
i probably should have wrote may instead of expect. i read something about depending on how long a battery has been bad, it can affect other batteries in the bank. i'm sure "someone" will have a more definitive answer.

I do know some of the newer charge controllers have an option to monitor battery temperature with an external temp sensor and then use that info in their charging algorithims.

FYI, I used THESE Concord AGM batteries in solar applications in a previous job and would run them down way past 50% in the winter (did not have enough solar charge on a few stations) and they would always charge back up. I was routinely impressed each year with them.

And AGM's require no maintenance beyond periodic inspection of terminals and don't emit appreciable hydrogen.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

it is axiomatic that a system that adds more functionality may add complexity.

As best I understand it, a grid-tie system with no battery back-up adds no functionality to home automation.

It may, of course, depending on rate-payer and tax-payer subsidies, make financial sense, and may have an 'environmental' payback beyond the educational value and startup aspects.

But the only apparent (to me) consequence to home automation of a domestic grid-tie system is negative, namely possible decreased AC quality wrt noise. Note this is entirely different than asserting that a grid-tie is not useful for other compelling reasons (and I don't).

Systems that add backup or other functionality ( battery-backed inverter, generator, UPS's, wind, etc) will add complexity. But may they be very much worth the extra complexity because they also add function and usefulness.

The argument that this added complexity is not warranted in any case is silly in my opinion in part because it only reflects circumstances and preferences of some folks at one point in time.

The circumstances are in turn governed by geography (eg: solar insolation) , condition of public infrastructure (eg: frequency and severity of power outages), use of power (consequence to user of a power outage), energy costs, and tax and other incentives.

So location ( location, location) dictates.

And the constellation of power quality issues caused by these additional power sources share some aspects of the AC power quality issues associated with grid-tie systems.

Which is why IMO, continued discussion is at least kinda pertinent to this thread.

HTH ... Marc

Back