SOLVED - HAI Omnistat2 RC-1000 Install Issues

alangsk

I attempted today to switch out my current thermostat with the HAI Omnistat2 RC-1000. I have a single stage system with heat and cool. I wired it matching up the wires to the appropriate terminals (I checked it 3 times). During testing, I can get the fan to come on with the thermostat, but when I switch it to cool, the air does not come on and the thermostat "clicks" every 10 or 20 seconds. It seems as though it is trying to turn the air on, but it can't. My furnace (and house) is two years old. I did not think I needed the power supply (HAI 30A00-2), but maybe I do. My current thermostat uses batteries that I thought were to keep the settings, but maybe the batteries help power on the system. Anyway, I wanted to check here before I call someone as this may be a simple issue that others have had as well.

It sounds like the power stealing problem I had when I first installed it. Try turning off the backlight and see if it works then, if it does then lower the backlight to find the sweet spot and then keep it a notch or two lower. Or, get the power supply. See this thread.

I will definately try that. Thanks! So, I have the blue wire as an extra that is not hooked up. If turning the backlight down works, can I just connect the blue wire to the common on the furnace and to the common on the thermostat?

I tried to run it with the backlight off, but that did not help, it still does the same thing. Would it hurt to hook up the common wire and try that?

I would think that would be a good option but since I don't know all the equipment and wiring I don't want to say anything that may damage something so at this point I need to defer to someone more knowledgeable about HVAC.

I would think that would be a good option but since I don't know all the equipment and wiring I don't want to say anything that may damage something so at this point I need to defer to someone more knowledgeable about HVAC.

You need the power supply. I had the exact same issue.

Fiasco,

Could you have run a common from the furnace to the thermostat? I don't know if this would take care of it or, if like you said, I just need to get the power supply.

OK, I fixed the issue. I had an extra wire on the thermostat wire that was not being used. I hooked one end to the common on the furnace and the other end to the common on the RC-1000. As soon as I switched over to cool and turned down the temp, the air conditioner turned right on. Thank you to all that participated in this thread.

Good job. I figured that would work based on the docs and info I was told but I didn't want to say for sure.

Back