Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

Well, this isn't really a Pepsi-Coke kind of debate going on as far as power monitoring systems...it's really more a matter of personal opinion as to how much risk you want to take on. You could show all the examples you want of how close low and high voltage can coexist and be all right, but that isn't going to change Skibum's desire to not have ANYTHING to do with that if he doesn't need to.

Skibum, it's not falling on deaf ears...I think we've heard you. You consider it unsafe. That's perfectly fine. Others here consider it perfectly safe based on the science/standards of it. And that's perfectly fine too. As with arguing opinions, this is something that's clearly not going to changed based on any cleverly written posts.

'cmon the IRC...and tell that to Collin. :(
It's not science... it's code. (Both units seems to be at varying levels of violation IMHO)

Well this is all going to be an interesting conversation with the electrician that I'm going to bring out to install it in the panel...

Well this is all going to be an interesting conversation with the electrician that I'm going to bring out to install it in the panel...

Heh, ditto. Either that, or I'll have to wait for one of our rather frequent power outages, and move real fast!

If you are comfortable with your solution, then I am happy for you.
Your arguement here is just silly.

I stick by what I say. IMHO There is no way that this is code:

a big picture doesn't make your argument any more valid, heres one too:

FusePanel.gif

OMG theres no way this is to code, what code are you referencing? They have a UL listing... You see that 14 gauge wire carrying 120v coming out of your panel that the TED is plugged into DIRECTLY, it's much more dangerous than 24 gauge cat 5 running under 5v.

If this is against code so is the TED if your going to argue you can't have LV in the same box. Are you arguing the LV cable plugged into the display is more lethal than the hig voltage the TED plugs into?

This whole thread has me pretty confused. Specifically:

1- I have looked at the diagram and do not see the safety concern everybody is talking about. Is it the fact that the low voltage wires from the CTs are inside the electrical panel? As long as the insulation is rated to 600V I don't see the problem. Many devices have high voltage and low voltage mixed within the same enclosure and it is no problem as long as the insulation ratings are right and there is a physical barrier between the high and low voltage connection points (In this case the LV connection to the CT is sealed into the unit). An awful lot of devices would be illegal if you could not have high and low voltage together including your TV and Stereo. So what is the unique hazard that is being discussed here?

2- The transformer that monitors the voltage is shown plugged in close to the display but it seems loading on the branch circuit could impact the voltage reading there. Should this transformer be plugged in near the panel and the low voltage exended to power the remote monitor?

3- I didn't see the link for the special price... is that somewhere in these 8 pages of postings?

If this is against code so is the TED if your going to argue you can't have LV in the same box. Are you arguing the LV cable plugged into the display is more lethal than the hig voltage the TED plugs into?

READ the thread before posting tripe. I clearly stated that BOTH devices seem to be in varying stages of non-compliance.
Upstate... Have a conversation with Collin. :(

Tastes great!! Less filling!!! oh, wait...sorry, wrong argument.

3- I didn't see the link for the special price... is that somewhere in these 8 pages of postings?

Here is the last I heard.
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=10996

I know people have ordered, so i don't know if you have to email them first, or what...I don't think there's a direct link. Maybe that's how he keeps it to cocooner's only.

I emailed them on Saturday morning, and they were quick to get me the link to the ordering page. Make sure you send them your cocoontech member id.

READ the thread before posting tripe. I clearly stated that BOTH devices seem to be in varying stages of non-compliance.

Are you going to enlighten us as to which code this is not in compliance with? Why is the Brultech a non starter for you if the TED is also not in compliance with the code you will point us to?

FYI some people feel that the NEC is a guide for the local AHJ (Authority Having Jursidiction) to interpret. There are probably many interpretations out there for things like this.

Are you going to enlighten us as to which code this is not in compliance with? Why is the Brultech a non starter for you if the TED is also not in compliance with the code you will point us to?

I am not. I'm concerned that you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this and seem intent on an arguement when all (Steve) and I were having was a fun discussion.
The BT was a non starter for me for the reasons that I have stated previously in this thread.
I have absolutely nothing against this obviously fine and responsive company.

OK... I just got off of the phone with the electrician.

Much as I hate to admit it, I am incorrect in my assumption.
It is not that low/no volts cannot be in the panel, it is (as someone else stated on IRC) the insulation on the wire used.
As long as the insulation has the same or better characteristics than what the romex has it is fine.

:(

Back