Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

You using the right insulation?

:(

Thanks for the update, skibum. I think part of what was bugging everyone here was that if felt like you had some kind of secret knowledge of how this might kill us, and wouldn't share it. Kinda like those wretched newscasters: "It can cause agonizing death, it's nearly undetectable, and it's most likely right in your home.....details at 11 !". :p

I certainly feel the TED and the BT are both as safe as something like this could be. But I still know I won't be putting my hand in there.....

So is there an free SDK for those of us that would want to use a more main stream software package such as HomeSeer for monitoring this hardware? ;)

There are protocol documents and some vb source code (not vb.net, old vb) that Paul sent me when I asked for them. They are not on the web site. I asked for them because I write my own software and I wanted to see how difficult the protocol was before I bought the unit. That's an important part of any product evaluation for me.

The protocol is pretty simple to use and it only took me a week or so to create a .net assembly to communicate with the unit, and a xAP assembly to broadcast the state. Since I don't have a unit yet these are totally untested, but the point is the protocol is pretty easy to use.

He mentioned another packet type (that would make 3) that has additional information for use with solar/wind systems, but that's not in the documentation currently. I look forward to this info being added. I'll probably buy a unit once I see the cocoontech special tomorrow.

I see some features that do not appear to be in the protocol that I would like, but I'll wait to get one and actually use the protocol before I start whining (errr... expressing interest in) these missing items.

Matt

The source for this code was taken from here and we made a few changes :

http://www.codeworks.it/net/VBNetRs232.htm (thanks to Corrado Cavalli's for the fine

vb.net serial communication demo)

OK Mat, what is missing that you would like to see? Power Factor? Apparent Power?

Ok... you asked B)

The things I didn't see are a way to determine which real time packet format (Power, Energy, or the new one) is being sent, and also how to set the format. In my code I wait for a specific number of characters in the buffer, so I need a way to determine how many chars to wait for. Right now I just hardcoded it for Energy mode. I would also like to see the structure for the third packet mode.

I didn't see a way to set the storage interval for the downloaded data either. I can get it during the download data process, but how can I set it. A separate command to get the interval would be nice but not really necessary.

The reset command isn't in the documentation, but I used the sample code to add that to my code.

The storage interval is 1 to 255, and it's returned as 2 bytes. Are they 7 bit bytes and I ignore the high bit, or do I ignore one of the bytes? This I figured I would figure out once I had a unit.

I also wasn't clear on how to figure out the date and time of a downloaded record. The docs say:

The data-logger’s “data” information is sent out as one big block in step 5 above. To assemble this data,
two pieces of information are required:
1. The start time and date of monitoring.
2. The storage interval
Since the ECM-1220 does not have a real-time clock, a time and date has to be provided for the beginning
of the monitoring at which time the ECM was reset. The storage interval value is provided by the two bytes
received in step #3 above.

I'm not understanding this. What are the steps I need to do?

I figured using the code with a real unit would clarify some of my questions.

Matt,

Thanks for your response. I will make this brief since I'm about to leave for an appointment.

There are codes to change the the interval time and unit settings (including reset). Also I can flowchart the methods reading the packets.

I will clarify all of this later and answer all of these questions when I get back. Thanks for pointing that out.

Paul

Mat, We have some sample vb.net code which communicates with the ECM-1220 and displays

the variables. It uses our new packet format the new firmware for this is posted on our

site. It is not posted anywhere right now but if you email me I can send it to you.

Matt I now have the packet information and flowcharting. I still need to dig up some command for you. If you want to email me at [email protected], then I can forward the information to you.

Email on the way. Your pre sales support is great!

Well, I'm encouraged so far...I just called an electrician to ask how much it would cost for them to come out and clip those CT's on the main circuits, and he said $42.50, because it'd probably take him an hour. Unlikely to take him an hour, but geez, that's still a pretty low hourly rate. Another place I called also charged only $45/hour, but they added on a $40 service call fee.

$43 not to die == Worth it!

Well, I'm encouraged so far...I just called an electrician to ask how much it would cost for them to come out and clip those CT's on the main circuits, and he said $42.50, because it'd probably take him an hour. Unlikely to take him an hour, but geez, that's still a pretty low hourly rate. Another place I called also charged only $45/hour, but they added on a $40 service call fee.

$43 not to die == Worth it!

the guy for $42.50 is probably going to do it as filler work and at the same time get some good PR. Probably someone you want to keep the phone number handy for as he doesnt sound greedy.

the guy for $42.50 is probably going to do it as filler work and at the same time get some good PR. Probably someone you want to keep the phone number handy for as he doesnt sound greedy.

Heh...ya, it definitely seemed like a 1-man operation. He answered the phone "Hello?". ;) If he's for real, I'll throw some more work at him while he's there. But I described the work to him, and he didn't seem like it was something strange to do. No "wait...now you want WHAT done??".

Heh...ya, it definitely seemed like a 1-man operation. He answered the phone "Hello?". ;) If he's for real, I'll throw some more work at him while he's there. But I described the work to him, and he didn't seem like it was something strange to do. No "wait...now you want WHAT done??".

For those that want to do it, its not hard. First, I'd put down a rubber insulating mat near the breaker panel, and stand on that as opposed to standing on the ground. If you should touch a hot wire, this will protect you in that respect. Second, only use one hand at a time. This protects you from being zapped from one hand to the other. And finally, realize that even when the master breaker is off, power is still energized into that breaker from the main lines. These are the lines your putting these sensors around.

Its a pretty easy install if your the least bit technical, but if your not one of those people, call a professional.

Its a pretty easy install if your the least bit technical, but if your not one of those people, call a professional.

There's "easy to do" and "easy to explain to wife if I do something wrong"; i cannot even begin to imagine the lecture i'd get from the wife (or my mother) if I got so much as the regular 120V "tickle" from an outlet, much less have to go to a hospital. Her nagging would probably hurt worse than the cardiac arrest :)

Well, it's not the actual task itself that is so daunting. Heck, I'm pleased with how many outlets and lights I've installed over the years. I'm relatively comfortable working around standard household voltages.

It's more along the "risk" lines that I consider this. Risk = (probability something will happen) X (how bad it would be if it did). That's why I hate lightning so much. Real real low chance....real real real bad if it does. Same with sticking my hand anywhere near 220V wires. I think it'd feel like the ultimate game of Operation. I could do a lot of things to minimize the risk, but a measly $45 takes the probability down to 0!

Besides, there's a very very brief list of things that I can successfully do one-handed....

I never really thought of 220V as being all that dangerous... there is a permanent ankle deep puddle right in front of the panel... Certainly no need to shut down the main power for simple stuff like this.

LOL! I hope that post is a joke for your sake!

I never really thought of 220V as being all that dangerous. I took the cover off my panel a couple of years ago and just never got around to putting it back on (mainly because there is a permanent ankle deep puddle right in front of the panel and I don't like getting my feet wet). I'm sure I won't have any trouble instlling the CTs. While I'm there I might even re-attach the main ground wire which I removed awhile back for some reason. Certainly no need to shut down the main power for simple stuff like this.

You too? ;)

and just remember, a safe way to check that a circuit is dead is to place your metal screwdriver across the contacts!

*****NOTE: IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL DIE DIE DIE DEATH DEATH. DON'T DO IT, YOU IDIOT *****

... Certainly no need to shut down the main power for simple stuff like this. ...

In the sport of rock climbing, a route's difficulty is assigned a numeric rating and a grade (or at least it used to; I haven't climbed in years). The concept of grade translates into the "magnitude of the consequences". Two climbing routes, one in your local state park and the other in a remote region, can have the same difficulty rating but very different grades. If injure yourself in the state park, it's a long trip to the hospital. Do the same in Patagonia and you may have had your last climb.

Connecting the CT taps to the mains is "easy" but its "grade" is very high. Its not hard to do ... but oh so bad if you screw up. The puddle certainly doesn't lower the grade either. ;)

If, like me, you can't remove the power from the panel in order to make it be a bit safer, what you can do is use a metal c-clamp and use it to connect the incoming live main bare wire to ground. Then, while the power is distracted running to ground, you should be able to slip the CT on it quick before it notices.

*****NOTE: IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL DIE DIE DIE DEATH DEATH. DON'T DO IT, YOU IDIOT. HOW DID YOU FIND THIS POST, DID YOU JUST GOOGLE HOW TO WORK IN A 220 V PANEL?!? WHAT KIND OF CHEAP MORON ARE YOU??? *****

(Boy, I sure hope some of these posts don't show up all by themselves when some idiot does a google search for how to wire their house.... )

Back