Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

For the guys that had a main breaker near the meter and the main panel inside the house, should not be any issues, right?

For the guys that had a main breaker near the meter and the main panel inside the house, should not be any issues, right?
Correct, if you kill the main breaker by the meter the main panel should be dead. You may still want to check it though to be certain. A good tool to use for situation like this is a non contact voltage detector like this. You simply hold the tool near (doesn't need to touch) the wire/switch/outlet/breaker and it beeps/buzzes if it detects AC voltage. So, you could kill the main breaker, then wave this in front of the breakers in the panel inside to be sure power there is off. I use a tool like this all the time and is much easier and safer than a meter and probes, etc.

Also, I understand all the 'fun' in this thread, but I am concerned as Rob said about somebody maybe linking to a single post or a google hit or something and someone taking something here out of context. I guess when it comes to actual life safety I start to draw the line between fun and seriousness. BSR's post and the immediately following ones can't be underestimated. I have seen the results of someone touching the main line live feed and it ain't pretty. Part of the problem too is an 'amateur' will likely be very nervous/anxious working in the panel knowing it is live. While in some cases it makes people more cautious, it can also mess with your head and make you more careless.

Another part of this that needs to be clear is that the wires attached to the current transformers need to exit the panel without going near anywhere where it can be pinched, etc. So, that means using a knockout on the panel or making your own hole. Especially if there is no knockout available, you don't want to be drilling into a live panel. And where the wires exit you must use the proper insulator/strain relief. So, it really is a little more involved than just clipping on a current transformer.

Yes, the task is pretty easy to do, but the dangers are very very real. With all my electrical knowledge and experience, I would prefer not to work in a live panel myself. I am lucky in that I have a separate main disconnect, but if I didn't, I would call an electrician. So as much as we all like to diy, PLEASE call an expert if you have any doubts whatsoever.

I think it would be better, and safer for all involved if the joking around was reserved for safer topics. It would be terrible if someone got hurt or killed as a result of something they read here. I am not trying to be "smart" or to offend anyone, but safety is a very serious issue.

Brian

I think it would be better, and safer for all involved if the joking around was reserved for safer topics. It would be terrible if someone got hurt or killed as a result of something they read here. I am not trying to be "smart" or to offend anyone, but safety is a very serious issue.

Brian

OK, I deleted mine.

I spent too much time carefully crafting my witty posts to just go and delete them...so I made some very subtle edits to them and they should be safe for viewing by children now.

After having a look at my loadcenter, I do not think I presently have enough room for the current transformers.

I am hoping within the next couple of months to install a new service with a main breaker outside, a 200 amp manual transfer switch for switching to generator, and a new main breaker loadcenter inside with a factory installed surge protector. I should then have plenty of room to install and route the current transformers/wiring in a neat and safe fashion.

Is anyone installing one of these units yet? It would be nice to here some thoughts on the unit and the supplied software.

I also wonder if any of the talented folks around here will be writing scripts or a plugin for interfacing with HomeSeer? I am not sure how much advantage this would be be over the supplied software but interfacing with HomeSeer might be nice, could allow anouncements, load shedding, etc, if there was such a need. Has anybody been doing any thinking about the usefulness or lack thereof of interfacing this unit with home automation software?

Brian

I also wonder if any of the talented folks around here will be writing scripts or a plugin for interfacing with HomeSeer? I am not sure how much advantage this would be be over the supplied software but interfacing with HomeSeer might be nice, could allow anouncements, load shedding, etc, if there was such a need. Has anybody been doing any thinking about the usefulness or lack thereof of interfacing this unit with home automation software?

Brian

I think voice alerts when certain thresholds are exceeded would be more useful in some respects than a fancy display. A Homeseer plugin would probably be a good way to accomplish this.

I think it would be better, and safer for all involved if the joking around was reserved for safer topics. ...

OK, I also did the Soviet thing and altered the history books to suit the current mood. My post is gone.

"Distraction wire"? There's no such thing.

Brian

I am sorry if I have offended anyone with my comments, it was not my intention to offend anyone in any way. Please accept my apologies.

Brian

Brian

I think voice alerts when certain thresholds are exceeded would be more useful in some respects than a fancy display. A Homeseer plugin would probably be a good way to accomplish this.

You are probably correct about the voice announcements, the display may be eaiser to ignore.

I wonder if your threshhold idea might also be helpful during power failures when running a generator to warn when the load is approaching or beyond the generator's rated capacity.

A display somewhere might come in handy to see how the 120v generator loads are distributed between the two legs and for general monitoring while on generator power.

I wonder if your threshhold idea might also be helpful during power failures when running a generator to warn when the load is approaching or beyond the generator's rated capacity.

A display somewhere might come in handy to see how the 120v generator loads are distributed between the two legs and for general monitoring while on generator power.

Hmmm...that's not a half bad idea. We have a generator subpanel. It actually has a meter on it...can't remember if it's watts or amps, but either way, it's down in the basement so not easy to glance at.

Of course, you'd have to have your BTech display plugged into some outlet powered by the generator. We only have specific rooms on that box, and I'm not sure it'd be practical to plug the display into one of those outlets on a regular basis.

Then again, if we're running on generator, it's going to be pretty close to an emergency situation...which means the generator only runs for a couples hours a day for water/cooking/washing, and so I think we could probably keep that well under control. Besides, I hope to use the 2nd set of inputs to monitor the water heater, as I'm definitely interested in knowing how much of our $$$ is going down the drain, literally.

Besides, I hope to use the 2nd set of inputs to monitor the water heater, as I'm definitely interested in knowing how much of our $$$ is going down the drain, literally.

Gee Rob,

Won't your CQC driver be able to apply a "signature" to those large loads for monitoring purposes?

Brian

Back