Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

Thanks. I think I will skip the zigbee in my case as I can run a USB extender fairly easily.

My question is back to the the software. I will download the lite version but without seeing the regular version I am not sure I will know what I am missing.

But I guess I can leave most of it on the backs of the guy doing the CQC driver as I think that will drive most of what I want to do.

My goal would be to
1. catch us just leaving crap on where we run too much power for extended time frame
2. see how long we are running the AC over the day week/month and maybe compare it to the temp

For goal one, I would need first determine a baseline. The baseline woudld be a measurement of when we dont leave a bunch of crap on. . Then in the morning(before we leave for work) and before we go to bed check against that baseline. If we exceed that baseline fire up the whole house audio and make an annoucment.

The tricky part would be that I would need to monitor my AC units and when they cycling dont trigger the alarms. Or at least subtract that value out. I have two AC units with two air handlers, all 240. So I have (4) 240v circuits tied to the AC units. It sounds likes I can get 'special' two CT plugs and then use one for the both legs of the 'main' and then one for each of the compressors. It will not counnt the air handler use but will at least signal to me how many hours they are run.

I'll be posting a review soon, I am just trying to put together a quick project showing what you can do with it.

1) The 'Lite' version of their ECM software (can be found on their site)
2) not sure
3) USB port is accessible, even when mounted on a wall
4) ZigBee adds a USB dongle, which you plug in to your PC. The transmitter is in the display unit, so you don't have to worry about that. The USB dongle requires a driver, but once the driver is installed, it shows up as a regular serial port. I am getting a pretty good distance with it too.

Has anyone gotten theirs yet. I am very interested but was wondering

They charged my credit card on 8/29, but haven't so much as received an e-mail confirmation. Is this anyone elses experience?

They charged my credit card the sme day and mine arrived today. The package was sent from St. Catharines, Ontario, CA by XPRESSPOST, had a USPS tracking number and required a signature for delivery. According to USPS "Track & Confirm," it took 5 days in the Canadian/US postal system to get from Canada to us, as follows:
  • Arrival at Unit, September 10, 2008, 8:17 am, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22309
  • Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
  • Foreign International Dispatch, September 06, 2008, 12:25 pm, TORONTO-A, CANADA
  • Foreign Acceptance, September 05, 2008, 3:20 pm, CANADA
If you are concerned, you could contact Brultech and ask them for the tracking number.

Has anyone gotten theirs yet. I am very interested but was wondering

They charged my credit card on 8/29, but haven't so much as received an e-mail confirmation. Is this anyone elses experience?

They charged my credit card the sme day and mine arrived today. The package was sent from St. Catharines, Ontario, CA by XPRESSPOST, had a USPS tracking number and required a signature for delivery. According to USPS "Track & Confirm," it took 5 days in the Canadian/US postal system to get from Canada to us, as follows:
  • Arrival at Unit, September 10, 2008, 8:17 am, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22309
  • Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
  • Foreign International Dispatch, September 06, 2008, 12:25 pm, TORONTO-A, CANADA
  • Foreign Acceptance, September 05, 2008, 3:20 pm, CANADA
If you are concerned, you could contact Brultech and ask them for the tracking number.

Yeah, didn't know they were in Canada. That explains a bit. I can wait a few more days. Its probably still in transit.

Update: Its HERE. :eek:

BtechRep;

I have a some questions ??

1. I asked this before and I guess I just didn't ask it correctly... If I wanted to null out any voltage to phase error ,, could a 240 volt to 12 transformer be used ??? The unit does not appear to need to be referanced to the neutral line ,, so if one was to use 240 to 12 vac adapter what ever happens to eigther 120 volt phase would be reflected in the 240 volt lines..

2. The meter its self appears to give a lot of data on the LCD display,, yet I think I'm reading the it only outputs the voltage and the current for each channel is that correct ?? or can the unit be polled for the other data...

3. ~Measurements of the display unit ??

4. Are the CTs 200/5 Amp.

5. Can the display unit be mounted to as standard electical box ??

TIA 

DEM

BtechRep;

I have a some questions ??

1. I asked this before and I guess I just didn't ask it correctly... If I wanted to null out any voltage to phase error ,, could a 240 volt to 12 transformer be used ??? The unit does not appear to need to be referanced to the neutral line ,, so if one was to use 240 to 12 vac adapter what ever happens to eigther 120 volt phase would be reflected in the 240 volt lines..

Yes you can use a 240V/12VAC transformer as long as the transformer you use introduces minimal phase shift. This would have to be tested under a certain secondary load. Adjustment of the PT settings would also be required. There is a 240V/120V step-down transformer we have used in the past which would allow you to plug the ECM-1220's wall transformer into and can be powered from 240V. I have seen the same model that we use for sale on an ebay store for approx $10.. I can get the info for you if you wish. We have tested this particular model for phase shift and is compatible with our monitor. There would be a slight adjustment of the CT setting since the voltage ratio is not a perfect 2:1

2. The meter its self appears to give a lot of data on the LCD display,, yet I think I'm reading the it only outputs the voltage and the current for each channel is that correct ?? or can the unit be polled for the other data...

The displayed data is: KWh, watt, current, cost of energy, projected KWh and $, line voltage, elapsed monitoring time and settings.

The available communication data:

Two types of data here:
1. Datalogger. This is the power/energy value for each channel and line voltage which is internally save at a selected interval (1 to 255 minutes). The user would download this data for analysis.

2. Real-Time data:

The ECM-1220 will accept a command to turn ON the realtime data. AT this point, the monitor will send a data packet every second. The data packet for the latest format provides the KWh, watt, current and unit info for each channel + the line voltage. It also provides unit info.

The latest firmware (available but not released) will allow you to send a simple command to receive a packet instead of having the ECM-1220 send packets every second. Anyone interested in this version can contact [email protected] for a copy.

3. ~Measurements of the display unit ??

4. Are the CTs 200/5 Amp.

The CTs are not 200/5. Our CTs produce an output of 333mV at rated output.

5. Can the display unit be mounted to as standard electical box ??

Yest it can be mounted to it, but not inside.

TIA 

DEM

I'm at the stage where I'm planning the installation of a power monitor and I have some questions about mounting and hookup:

1- I didn't see the physical dimensions of the display in the pdf spec sheet. Did I just overlook them.? Looks from the picture to be about as wide as a 2-gang switchplate?

2- I will be using the ECM-1220.H-WR in a location with one cat-5 cable in a single-gang box. I will use the cat-5 for CTs and power but I am not clear on how to get data to a remote PC. If I use the wireless dongle does it fit in the single-gang box or just hang below the display? How big/unsightly is the dongle?

3- I plan to use both the web dashboard and also communicate real time usage data to my home automation system to provide voice alerts when usage starts to exceed budgeted levels. What hardware do I need besides the ECM-1220.H-WR and the wireless dongle/receiver combo?

I was also wondering about the temp. range of the unit. It doesn't seem to be specified. I live in Phoenix, and one possibility is to mount the unit in the garage, behind my breaker panel which is outside facing West. Since Phoenix temps can approach 120F (or 49C for you Canadians) in the summer, my garage can easily get in the 140F to 150F range (65C). Is that a range that the control unit can tolerate? I always laugh when I see temp specs on devices and it lists is as 104F. Yeah right, like I'm always going to keep my iPod in a refrigerated container when I carry it outside. :eek:

The highest recorded temp in AZ was 126 a few years ago, near the CA border, and I happened to be there at the time. Pretty hot.

But the coldest recorded temp. in Pennsylvania was 42 below zero. I think I'll take the 126 any day.

Cold..... solution: put on hat, gloves, jacket, boots. Done!

Hot......solution: wear shorts. Still hot though, so take everything off. Unfortunately, STILL hot and now getting skin cancer on the private parts.

Your argument probably makes sense for most people...but I went to school in North Pole AK (yes, Virginia, there is a north pole AK), so -40 was a regular event there. The winters here are cute. It was down to 19 deg when we were wiring our house. Pfft.

Meh, my dislike for AZ has probably already been overdocumented on these boards...I have to stop thread hijacking. :eek:

I'm guessing that since the unit only takes low voltage inputs, it won't have overheating problems even in the garage. so long as it's not in direct sunlight. You'd probably have more problems if it was in a freezing environment. But obviously, Paul will have to say.

Btech Rep,
Can you explain the differnce in the lite software in the deal and the two other packages you have on the website?

Btech Rep,

Who should I email for info. on the protocol ??

Can you get me the info. on the step down transformer ??

"Yes you can use a 240V/12VAC transformer as long as the transformer you use introduces minimal phase shift. This would have to be tested under a certain secondary load. Adjustment of the PT settings would also be required. There is a 240V/120V step-down transformer we have used in the past which would allow you to plug the ECM-1220's wall transformer into and can be powered from 240V. I have seen the same model that we use for sale on an ebay store for approx $10.. I can get the info for you if you wish. We have tested this particular model for phase shift and is compatible with our monitor. There would be a slight adjustment of the CT setting since the voltage ratio is not a perfect 2:1"

TIA

DEM ;)

Hey From Ireland.

Been reading this thread with a lot of interest, and i have come to the conclusion that this is something worth the investment. but im not 100% sure if i have all the details correct.

I have 110v regulated power from a step down system, filtered and used for some amplification systems. this will power the meter.
What I am not sure about is monitoing my primary feed. The power here is 240v [238v and the current meter reading] and running at 50hz.

Can i use the meter to monitor this for a Single feed by clamping the primary Live heading to the 60amp breaker? Sinlgle Phase supply

I also read that there are support for 2 probes, but i think that implies 2 for 110 or 1 for 220, but that may be due to the way power is suppiled for 220 in the US. Akain to a 3 phase supply. So, the question is - Can i monitor 2 feeds on the one device in a 240v single phase configuration.

thanks

Finally - what link do I use to take advantage of the offer if these questions pan out? I will be in the US in 2 weeks so can easliy have the device shipped to my location in the US.

cheers

Back