Sprinkler system with the ELK M1G

fleetz

Picked up my Ness/ELK M1G controller and a bunch of bits last week and about to start putting together a test bed system prior to building a new home next year.

I notice that none of Elk technology partners do not have a sprinkler system interface or sprinkler controller interface that is supported by the M1G. Does one exist? I do not want to go down any X10 path just a personal adversion to X-10. Something about a direct control cable specific to the task that to me gives a robust reliable solution.

I can do it with a ELK M1XOVR/ELK-M1RB and some 24VAC soleniod valves. If I go down this path what typical distances from the relay board to soleniod are practical? Or is it better to use the long haul of the RS-485 signal and locate the ELK-M1XOVR/ELK-M1RB and 24VAC power supply near where the soleniods are to be located? Obviously there is only the one long run of Cat-5 from the M1G to the soleniod site as opposed to multipules if you run cable to the soleniod and the M1G.

Assuming you down the locate the ELK-M1XOVR/ELK-M1RB at the soleniod end can you reliably power these unit/s from the Cat-5 which is run from the M1G?

What type of CAT-5 cable does you guys use for your installations? The single hard wire version or the stranded type CAT-5 for your installation?

Is the industry standard for sprinkler soleniod 24VAC?

Look forward to your comments....thanks.

Flettz

I was considering using a washer machine 120VAC solenoid valve for my spinkler. The valve would be activated by a low current relay that would be powered directly from the M1 output. Since the signal used to power the relay is DC, it could only have a small drop in voltage if the line is to thin (CAT5) and the distance is too long, but I dont think this would affect the operation of the relay. This would require only two lines (12v and negative) from the controller and one 120VAC power sourve locally. I have the advantage that I have a place to locate the 120V solenoid valve out of the rain/weather. In other conditions I would have to find a lower voltage valve option.

fleetz,

I'd second the WGL Rain8Net controller. I'm also an M1G owner but preferred to go with WGL for dedicated control.

We're wrapping up the beta and we think our Rain8 plugin is ready for primetime which gives you one snazzy user interface from any PC.

640x480_mlrain8_01.jpg

Cinemar also has an Elk plugin. So the good thing is that you can communicate with the Rain8 from the Elk using our plugin architecture.

I'm surprised nobody asked for this:

How about the Elk controlling the Rain8Net controller via one of its serial ports??

You really want to go with a NON-PC based system for something like this!

How about the Elk controlling the Rain8Net controller via one of its serial ports??
Isn't that what I said? :angry:

Why do you say that? I would agree if we're talking about directly controlling solenoids, but the Rain8Net has safeguards built-in (e.g. a default run timer for each zone) to make it a safe choice no matter what is driving it.

Thanks everybody for the prompt and very positive responses!

It would be great it there was a M1G plug-in for the unit, downloaded the protocol and as expected it would not be differcult to implement. Would be a nicer solution if it was off the shelf but it is not going to differcult to integrate without it.

mcascio what is the intended release date and cost for your interface?

THanks again guys great input.

Regards,

Fleetz

I'm surprised nobody pointed to BSR's great how-to on sprinkler setup. IMHO, The Rain8 is overkill if you have an M1. I'm with Brian, I just used BSR's schematic but used an M1RB instead of the Relay 8. I have standard Toro valves and used the wal wart from old timer. Ran around 80 feet of Cat 5 from M1 to valves/walwart and programmed rules, etc and it works great.

markthomas said:

Why do you say that? I would agree if we're talking about directly controlling solenoids, but the Rain8Net has safeguards built-in (e.g. a default run timer for each zone) to make it a safe choice no matter what is driving it.

Sorry I didn't see where you said to control the Rain8Net WITH an Elk. You just stated "why not use a Rain8Net". :)

As far as asking why "to go with a NON_PC based system", well if you have to ask... :eek: Hehe, just kidding, this is a very controversial topic, kinda like who makes the better car Ford vs Chevy.

I believe a PC will eventually lock up, no matter what precautions are taken, and IF you consider an item critical, you would seek to control it with a PLC type controller such as an Elk or Ocelot. Of course, this is just MY opinion ;) !!

BraveSirRobbin said:
Sorry I didn't see where you said to control the Rain8Net WITH an Elk. You just stated "why not use a Rain8Net". :eek:
...in response to the "Sprinkler system with the ELK M1G" thread. Or have we all forgotten the topic this far into the thread? ;)

Back