Squeezebox Server?

jwilson56

Is there anyone here playing with Squeezebox Server (formly called SqueezeCenter)?

I am trying to get some feel as to what this will do. Right now I am using JRMC and was wondering if Squeezebox Server could be a replacement down the road (music playing only and in a multizone (multi sound card) function). Someone thought that it was able to be used with a local sound card... just not sure if it can handle multizone.

Also someone I know wants to get into home automation and possibly multizone music and will be using a WHS system. I don't believe JRMC will run on a headless WHS setup. Not sure Squeezebox Server will either.

Just brainstorming at the moment with an eye on Elve in the future.

Is there anyone here playing with Squeezebox Server (formly called SqueezeCenter)?

I am trying to get some feel as to what this will do. Right now I am using JRMC and was wondering if Squeezebox Server could be a replacement down the road (music playing only and in a multizone (multi sound card) function). Someone thought that it was able to be used with a local sound card... just not sure if it can handle multizone.

Also someone I know wants to get into home automation and possibly multizone music and will be using a WHS system. I don't believe JRMC will run on a headless WHS setup. Not sure Squeezebox Server will either.

Just brainstorming at the moment with an eye on Elve in the future.

I have two SqueezeBox 2s. I've had them for about 5 years and absolutely love them.
With SqueezeCenter/Server you can run with the Squeezebox hardware or through PC sound cards.
Each iteration of the player can be independent or linked. When Linked any changes at one terminal is mirrored at the others.
Local music libraries are integrated seamlessly with Internet radio and other services.
There are NAS solutions with SqueezeCenter/Server installed as the native OS, so it can run without a PC.

When I get my audio system installed, one of the Squeezeboxs will be a source to the whole house audio, the other will reside in my Family room.

There is a version of squeeeserver that is a whs add-in.

I use a squeezebox radio as our bedroom alarm clock and then a squeezebox receiver connected to my amp; both work great with my whs music collection. It also has an open API so interfacing with it from a software controller is relatively easy. I use a driver with cqc that exposes nearly everything.

I have 9 squeezebox devices (SB3 x 1, Duet x 3 and Boom x 5) and they, combined with squeezebox server, are great. They also make PC-based clients that work just like the duet controller and there is an extensive command line interface that you can use to make your own custom controls (for example, the HomeSeer plugin makes use of the CLI to give you a lot of control over SB Server and its attached players).\

I can even stream music from SB Server to windows media player at work.

What hardware player is the most recommended? I don't need anything fancy, just something that works and is affordable.

I agree, the receiver half of the duet is the best bet if you don't need a display and plan on using your own interface to control it. When they were sold alone, they went for $149... You could try and find a low=priced nettop box and make your own player for about the same price or a little more and install one of the squeezebox software players on it instead.

If you need a display, then you either have to get a full duet or go with a SB3 (if you can find one) or SBTouch for integration with an existing system.

The Boom and Radio are great all-in-one solutions as they already have an amp and speakers attached.

I have not personally used either the touch or the radio, however. I must say that the SB3, Duet and Boom all work very well, with the controller-half of the duet system being the weak link, however, I've had very few issues with mine, others on the slimdevices board have had issues (I think it's due to poorly setup wireless networks though).

There's also a great iPhone/iTouch/iPad interface called iPeng that gives you ton of control over SBServer and all connected SB's.

I was fortunate and purchased 7 of my 9 squeezebox devices for 60-80% off retail when Circuit City went out of business, otherwise, I'd be lucky to have 3 or 4 total.

If you want, go ahead and try the software players and see how they work for you. I was having issues with stability when trying to interface the software players with CQC.

I use the Squeezebox Duet with Elve. It's a great media player, supports zones, has several device options, and works very well with Elve. Since it comes with a web interface and you are going to use your own interface then you won't likely need to the Duet and could easily get away with just the SqueezeBox. There's also a nice an iPhone app for it called iPeng... yes Elve has an iPhone app too. ;)

Back