Building New Office / Man Cave, Looking for Ideas/Info

eric37

I've experimented with X10 controllers many years ago, so whatever experience I have is surely out of date. So I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I am getting ready to setup a new office/man cave. It measures roughly 12' x 16', and I would like to add some automation. I will probably start small and expand. My electronics will consist of the following:
  • HDTV (Panasonic Viera Plasma, exact model not decided)
  • Multi-media Server (running some version of Windows)
  • XBox (XBox One most likely) with Kinnect for voice control
  • Stereo System (2 zones? 1 for HDTV support and 1 for the work area?)
  • Lights
  • Temperature Control
  • Window Blinds
  • Security (depends as security will come with the office)
I am thinking of using Insteon products along with CastleOS for voice control. I will also most likely get CableCards for the multi-media server, but that will be decided upon once more information about the XBox One's set-top box integration is released. The Kinnect will be used for Skype as well. I will also likely add a webcam to the server so I can monitor remotely.

One end of the office will contain my desk and work area, while the rest of the room will be setup for TV viewing / socializing. I'm not sure exactly what overhead lighting will go into the office, but I do have the ability to select. There will also be floor lighting and possibly some color lights.

I'm thinking I may need a 2 zone sound system as I would like to have one setup for the TV and one setup for the work area. As an alternative I could just plug into my work computer.

Has anyone setup a system like this or an office system? Care to share thoughts and experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Well there are really two things to think about.  First is regarding the equipment you decide to use - does it have some sort of command protocol that you can use to control the device?  This is generally done either through a serial port (db-9) on the device itself, or through some sort of network control if the device has network capabilities and a published API.  Don't assume that just because a device as a ethernet jack or even a serial plug that you will be able to control it.  However, if the device has neither of these things, then you can pretty much assume that the device is only going to be controllable through an IR remote control.  Of course there are some exceptions to the rule as there are some devices that have X-10 (do not use) or Zig-bee, Z-wave, or some of the other newer wireless control systems available today, but be careful with these devices because many of them won't talk with other manufacture's devices even if they use the same wireless protocol.  The biggest thing I can tell you is that you really have to do your homework when selecting ANY device that you want to be able to control.

The second thing to consider is how you will be able to control all of the devices.  You might be able to use individual phone/tablet applications to control everything (if available from each manufacturer), but that isn't very automated.  The other option is to use some sort of automation controller to tie all these devices together into one controllable system.  Of course there are lots of options out there and it can be confusing.  But given the breadth of equipment that you want to tie together, I think you are going to have to look into the more serious automation options out there. Personally I use CQC (Charmed Quark) which is a software application that runs on a Windows computer that can tie all these types of devices together.  It isn't the only option by any means.  Again, you need to do some soul searching to figure out exactly what you expect out of a system, and then start doing research on the options to see which system will be able to meet your needs.

sic0048, thanks for the reply.  An automation controller is definitely on the list. I may be wrong, but this could be the most important item in the whole system.

I have begun assembling the list of products and features I want. It takes a lot of research, so any information is helpful. Ideally, one method of control will be via a web page, so I can load the page on pretty much anything. Additionally voice control would be nice. I don't expect to use it the majority of the time, but it has a certain wow factor that I intend to use, since this will be my work office.

I will certainly be looking at CQC.

Thanks again.

i'm also on a similar path. i got a new apartment and im planning to get it automated..

After extensive research.. My plan was simple..

1) i didnt want to rewire the mains to a central power switching/relay unit, as that is just too much work. so i decided to go w/ the end-point type devices ..i decided to Go w/ devices using a single standard (Zwave) ...
2) use a controller that has an API i can write code on (micasa, ninja box, even the new Almond+ Router, etc).. any of these controllers i can code PHP/JS/HTML .this way i can tie everything up the way i want it.. (the advantage of being a programmer)

But the whole thing went down the drain soon as i found out 220v 60hz 2phase automation devices are very rare, if not non-existent.. and definitely zero on zwave. <-- CORRECTION (We use single phase in our country)

and now im currently looking for a solution to #1 above..so i can proceed.

for you, I would recommend going w/ a single standard for most of your devices.. X10 is legacy only imo, and avoid that for new systems.. go w/ wireless type HA, but not 2.4Ghz wifi as it is prone w/ interferances (zwave or zigbee will be best, but zwave has more options to choose from)  .. either of the 2 will give you ALL that you need to automate endpoints.. from sensors, to power controls, dimmers, etc.. albeit a bit more expensive i guess..

and from there, you have a loooot of controller choices.. do look at the upcoming ALMOND+ ROUTER if you can wait.. it's really promising!

Goodluck to you Eric.

BrownChiLD said:
But the whole thing went down the drain soon as i found out 220v 60hz 2phase automation devices are very rare, if not non-existent.. and definitely zero on zwave.
and now im currently looking for a solution to #1 above..so i can proceed.

Why do you need 220v 60hz 2phase devices if you are using ZWave?  Since ZWave is wireless it doesn't matter if devices are on different phases.  Maybe I am missing something here...

hobbes487 said:
Why do you need 220v 60hz 2phase devices if you are using ZWave?  Since ZWave is wireless it doesn't matter if devices are on different phases.  Maybe I am missing something here...

He lives in the Philippines - different power system.  Although I would imagine european UPB or ZWave would be an option for him.

hobbes487 said:
Sorry i corrected my post, we are using SINGLE PHASE here in the PH

Work2Play said:
He lives in the Philippines - different power system.  Although I would imagine european UPB or ZWave would be an option for him.

I'm gona risk it and order some and test for myself. been searching the internet and I can't believe that I may be one of the very few who's interested in doing HA here in the PH lol

Back