starting over and need some advice

js19707

Hello all,
I'm about to move to a new (well, new-to-me) home, where I'll have to start nearly from scratch on security, whole house audio, lighting control, home automation, surveillance, irrigation, etc.  In my current home, I have an HAI OP2, UPB lighting, Nuvo Grand Concerto, Rain8UPB, IP cameras, HAI Thermostat and temp sensors, and am running HaikuHelper, and I'm very familiar with these systems.  

For the new house, my priority is to get the security system up and running within a couple of days of moving in, so the initial installation will be DIY and basic--and I will expand over time.  Because of the design of the house (2 story, flat roof, no attic), wireless sensors are pretty much my only option for doors and windows right now.  I will at some point replace all the doors and windows, and I will redo the roof.  I'm thinking at that time there may be an option to run lots of wire, but that may still be a year or more off.

In the new house, there is an existing ADT system installed, but the previous owners apparently haven't used it for years so I'm not sure of the state.  There are wired PIRs but the door and window sensors are all wireless and appear to be Ademco 5816.  I considered trying to reuse the existing wireless sensors in the interest of expediency, but there appear to only be wireless sensors on about half the doors and windows so I'm thinking about just buying all new sensors (Qty ~40) and replacing the old ones

Given my familiarity with HAI and the investment I've already made (PCAccess, Haiku, HaikuHelper, H@me, Automation Studio, HAI Music Gateway), I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the OP2.  I'm thinking about a few non-security-related changes (RadioRa2 instead of UPB, Russound MCA-C5 instead of NuVo GC) but those will be topics for a later post.  

One security-related thing I want to change, however, is to go with a GE Wireless solution instead of the HAI solution.  I had many problems with the HAI Wireless stuff, and the new house is bigger so I like the idea of being able to use a repeater.

So, here is the first batch of questions related to security:

1.  I see many choices for compatible GE Wireless security sensors.  Can someone recommend a specific wireless door/window sensor that's relatively inexpensive (say $30-40 unit cost ), reliable, and less visually obtrusive than the 5816s?  I'm thinking about sticking with surface-mount wireless sensors, to avoid having to drill the doors and windows.

2.  How reliable is the operation of the 42a00-2 these days?  An earlier thread suggested it had some quirks.

3.  Is there a benefit to having a Quickbridge installed in addition to a 42a00-2?  Somebody suggested it works well with keyfobs; is there some advantage to using the Quickbridge with keyfobs instead of the 42a00-2?

4.  What is a compatible GE wireless repeater for use with the OP2 and the 42a00-2?

5.  Does anyone know if I will be able to reuse the wiring from the existing alarm panel to the existing alarm keypad to connect an OP2 and 33a00 console?

6.   Any recommendations for alarm sirens / sounders?  The ones I currently have installed in my old house are, I think, the ELK 70.  They are OK, but not meant for outdoor use and not terribly loud.  Given the new house is quite a bit bigger than the old one, I am thinking I'll need more and/or louder sirens.  I assume there is at least one which is part of the existing ADT system but I haven't seen it yet.  Would I / should I consider reusing an existing siren with the OP2?

7.  Are there any gotchas with reusing the existing wired PIRs?  Will I need to change out EOL resistors?

8.  Anything else I should be thinking about?

thanks!
--js

Have you looked at Elk as a solution? Supports Honeywell RF.

1. If you go with Elk you could get the system up and running quickly then replace transmitters to be more aesthetically pleasing as time allows.

2. Nature of the beast with HAI and wireless, either you go integrated or you go quik-bridge. Each has it's own set of quirks and caveats.

3. Suppose you could drive dry contacts to additional equipment.

4. You can use either repeater available, but it should be either crystal or SAW, you shouldn't mix both devices on the same system.

6. You need to investigate the  install first.

7. Same as above. Also depends on the application (pet immune, coverage, etc)

8. Sorry, can't think of what you may or may not want to do, but depends on how much and what you want to integrate.

js19707 said:
1.  I see many choices for compatible GE Wireless security sensors.  Can someone recommend a specific wireless door/window sensor that's relatively inexpensive (say $30-40 unit cost ), reliable, and less visually obtrusive than the 5816s?  I'm thinking about sticking with surface-mount wireless sensors, to avoid having to drill the doors and windows.
There are so many good sensors. I like the ones where you just drill a hole and stick the wireless sensor in the hole so its invisible, but the batteries don't last as long on these, and watch out for metal, it can block the signal.

js19707 said:
2.  How reliable is the operation of the 42a00-2 these days?  An earlier thread suggested it had some quirks.
Its as reliable as any but wireless buy its nature can be strange. I did have one sensor that reliably wouldn't work when assigned to one certain zone. I assigned the sensor to a different zone and no problems since. Debugging this type of problem can take lots of trial-and-error to discover.

js19707 said:
3.  Is there a benefit to having a Quickbridge installed in addition to a 42a00-2?  Somebody suggested it works well with keyfobs; is there some advantage to using the Quickbridge with keyfobs instead of the 42a00-2?
I think you are referring to something I wrote.  The answer depends on what you are trying to do.  Basically the 42a00-2 has 64 channels that can pair with 64 transmitters that can fill 64 Omni zones, but you can also configure it other ways. For example, it can use 16 zones and each can have 4 transmitters. 

Now keep in mind that a 4-button keyfob is really 4 transmitters, so it takes one transmitter location for each button for the 42a00-2.  If you have 8 keyfobs for kids, neighbors, etc, that is 32 transmitter location filled, and you have to program the Omni what to do for each of these 32 locations.

The 8-channel Quickbridge has a handy feature where up to 45 keyfobs can be paired with 4 outputs, which use 4 zones.  This makes it easier to manage many keyfobs, but takes away a bit of flexibility. With the 42a00-2, every keyfob button on every keyfob could perform a different function. On the Quickbridge, the same button on each does the same, but you can 45 keyfobs easily.

js19707 said:
4.  What is a compatible GE wireless repeater for use with the OP2 and the 42a00-2?

There are actually several out there. I have one from Resolution Systems that I like. It has a battery backup built-in.

js19707 said:
5. Does anyone know if I will be able to reuse the wiring from the existing alarm panel to the existing alarm keypad to connect an OP2 and 33a00 console?

You just need 4 wires so should be a problem if you have 4 wires.
js19707 said:
6.   Any recommendations for alarm sirens / sounders?  The ones I currently have installed in my old house are, I think, the ELK 70.  They are OK, but not meant for outdoor use and not terribly loud.  Given the new house is quite a bit bigger than the old one, I am thinking I'll need more and/or louder sirens.  I assume there is at least one which is part of the existing ADT system but I haven't seen it yet.  Would I / should I consider reusing an existing siren with the OP2?

7.  Are there any gotchas with reusing the existing wired PIRs?  Will I need to change out EOL resistors?
For sirens, just be careful of power usage. The loudest with the least current is best. Make it loud inside. Outside doesn't matter that much. You can always flash lights.

You can reuse PIRs but switching EOL, if it had them, but technology has evolved much in the last few years and PIRs are so cheap. It might be worth it to upgrade unless you really want to cut costs.

Back