status of ouputs and counters

My XEP email function does not appear to be very stable. I created rule to email me every 6 hours, and it will work fine for a while, and then it will stop. I was hoping to add an additional THEN to my rule to increment a counter so that I see if in fact the rule is executing, but no email, or is the rule not executing.

I've read many threads here about problems the email function and I must say I'm not very confident that I will get emails when something happens. It works today, and it may not work tomorrow. I've got the XEP on a static IP, using smtp email that doesn't have SSL, making no changes, and it just stops working or it will miss a scheduled email or two and then it comes back to life. Not giving me a warm and fuzzy.

If emails are that critical to you, you may want to look at another platform for handling the emails. It means leaving a computer on 24/7, but using something like Premise (free) or the intro level of Elve ($99) you can get a very robust rules engine that can talk to external systems, bring in weather data, send more complex emails, etc - its a better way to go than relying on the XEP.

You can dislay them on the keypad

create a text string - % CTR3 % -- % CTR4 % - % CTR5 %
Displays counter 3,4,5

Create a task - Counter Disp

Create a rule
WHENEVER Counter Disp (Task 13) IS ACTIVATED
THEN DISPLAY "% CTR3 % -- % CTR4 % - % CT" IN Area 1 (Area 1) INDEFINITELY, [*] CLEARS

assign it to a key on the keypad to run the task

Nice tip Jimmy!
Also, outputs under a certain number can show in ElkRMS, the XEP webpage, and eKeypad - I think it's outputs under 68 or so?

Thanks jimmy
I was able to get it to work when I did a copy/paste of the string from your reply...however I can't seem to create my own text using other counters. Also, if i just try to edit the text, my RP locks up?
What is the symbol that is before the %? Do i need the quotes as well?

In elkRP select automation > Texts
Click new
Next to Insert: click drop down button and select Counter Value
under that selct you counter - you can keep selecting counters if you need more that one
end the line with a carrage return from the Insert: drop down
That's it
Hope it make sense

No luck displaying counter (using Jimmy's method) on eKeypad. My counter does display fine on the physical keypad.

Any ideas for eKeypad?

TIA

mghan said:
No luck displaying counter (using Jimmy's method) on eKeypad. My counter does display fine on the physical keypad.

Any ideas for eKeypad?

TIA

I know the developer, I'll pass the suggestion on to him.  I am sure he will implement is if it is technically possible  

UPDATE

Here is the official reponse

"No it can not. Probably will never be able to. I talked with Elk at length about it but it is simply not possible for the panel to make this information available through the API. A little design deficiency in the Elk architecture."

Back