Struggling with controller choices

@pete_c, i'm just referring to creating the virtual device, which you do via graph.api.smartthings.com. 

@damage

Thank you.

Yup always have used graph.api.smartthings.com relating to creating virtual devices.

The view via android works better for me in an Android Oracle virtual box than a phone or tablet.

Well and here do not utilize tablets or smartphones for Samsung Smartthings hub automation remote controls or have any dependencies on said devices.

Just mostly tinker.  Relating to smartphones and tablets just root and cook these devices. 

Waterboy77 said:
Sure did.... hope to start playing soon
I don;t know if you intent to go with Zwave for a while but I have heard a few tricks there.
Apparently the Zwave Siren is one of the best repeaters. This may have been before the patent was released from one Zwave company and very few supported the standard that came out. Appaently if they don;t support some feature, like temperature, they won't repeat it either. Careful what you pick.
ISY's Zwave transmitter has very little range and requires a repeater almost immediately to make things work.
The PLM is best close to the main panel and using a phase coupler. I use an old X10 unit and it works perfectly. 120kHz X10, and 131 kHz Insteon?

Note the thread here about finding a good central spot for the antenna using RF systems. I was going to post about Insteon in that one and watch them jump and get excited...LOL Maybe not. :)

Waynedb said:
 Good choice, the Isy-994i is awesome.

I looked at this years ago, but I wasn't happy with its integration with Alexa (Amazon Echo).  Does it still require a seperate amazon subaccount for each Alexa device?

LarrylLix said:
I don;t know if you intent to go with Zwave for a while but I have heard a few tricks there.
Apparently the Zwave Siren is one of the best repeaters. This may have been before the patent was released from one Zwave company and very few supported the standard that came out. Appaently if they don;t support some feature, like temperature, they won't repeat it either. Careful what you pick.
ISY's Zwave transmitter has very little range and requires a repeater almost immediately to make things work.
The PLM is best close to the main panel and using a phase coupler. I use an old X10 unit and it works perfectly. 120kHz X10, and 131 kHz Insteon?

Note the thread here about finding a good central spot for the antenna using RF systems. I was going to post about Insteon in that one and watch them jump and get excited...LOL Maybe not. :)
I want to learn the basics with Insteon before I start adding in Zwave..... so it might be awhile.
Thanks for the tips.... I'll try to remember them in the future lol

hgupta1 said:
I looked at this years ago, but I wasn't happy with its integration with Alexa (Amazon Echo).  Does it still require a seperate amazon subaccount for each Alexa device?
The ISY994 never required accounts for any devices unless you wanted to integrate with some cloud service based device.

Perhaps you are referring to Alexa, integrating with all the cloud device drivers it supports? ISY users don't usually use cloud methods for devices as they are less desirable.
With ISY, a subscription to the ISY Portal is the easiest to implement with Alexa, GH, or ITTT. It provides a vocal to program/device/scene/variable interface, among other uses, also acting as a DDNS access service.. Very easy use. Alexa and GH then only subscribe to one ISY Portal account, giving them permission to pass data back and forth.

LarrylLix said:
The ISY994 never required accounts for any devices unless you wanted to integrate with some cloud service based device.

Perhaps you are referring to Alexa, integrating with all the cloud device drivers it supports? ISY users don't usually use cloud methods for devices as they are less desirable.
With ISY, a subscription to the ISY Portal is the easiest to implement with Alexa, GH, or ITTT. It provides a vocal to program/device/scene/variable interface, among other uses, also acting as a DDNS access service.. Very easy use. Alexa and GH then only subscribe to one ISY Portal account, giving them permission to pass data back and forth.

Thanks.   I have about 15 Alexa devices and I do want them to control my devices through ISY i I get one .  Previously, ISY portal required a separate amazon account for each Alexa device, which seemed messy at best.  Are you saying that all of my Amazon Echoes can now be linked to ISY Portal through one Amazon account?

hgupta1 said:
Thanks.   I have about 15 Alexa devices and I do want them to control my devices through ISY i I get one .  Previously, ISY portal required a separate amazon account for each Alexa device, which seemed messy at best.  Are you saying that all of my Amazon Echoes can now be linked to ISY Portal through one Amazon account?
Mine are but I only have one Alexa account and only one ISY Portal account.

Some have had success with multiple Alexa accounts trying to keep the vocal generic...
   Alexa... turn on the light(s)
​would only turn on the light in the room that Alexa heard the command. I use absolute commands for every device and only one Alexa account. IIRC identifying rooms has been added in the last year but since I don;t use it, I am not sure how.

Back