Temp/Solar question

bdeshazer

Just got my HB temperature/solar sensor with enclosure this weekend. I'm using OWFS on linux for reading my 1wire devices and an iButtonLink serial LinkHub as my interface (http://ibuttonlink.com/detail.aspx?ID=6).

I finally figured out that the only way I get the vis reading (solar value) to update is when I request an update from the temperature portion of the DS2438. Once I request this, then the next request for vis shows an updated value, which is then "stuck" until I make the next request for temperature.

I'm trying to pin down whether this is how these sensors are supposed to operate or if I have a configuration or operational issue with my interface or software. I was really only interested in the solar reading of the DS2438 chip, and could use the DS18S20 for temperature readings from this sensor.

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Brent

Just got my HB temperature/solar sensor with enclosure this weekend. I'm using OWFS on linux for reading my 1wire devices and an iButtonLink serial LinkHub as my interface (http://ibuttonlink.com/detail.aspx?ID=6).

I finally figured out that the only way I get the vis reading (solar value) to update is when I request an update from the temperature portion of the DS2438. Once I request this, then the next request for vis shows an updated value, which is then "stuck" until I make the next request for temperature.

I'm trying to pin down whether this is how these sensors are supposed to operate or if I have a configuration or operational issue with my interface or software. I was really only interested in the solar reading of the DS2438 chip, and could use the DS18S20 for temperature readings from this sensor.

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Brent

This sounds like a issue with the way OWFS is getting the data from the DS2438. The DS2438 chip definitely supports retrieving any of its values at anytime. What may be happening though is that the DS2438 also supports getting all the values back at once and OWFS may be doing that when it gets the temperature.

Eric

This sounds like a issue with the way OWFS is getting the data from the DS2438. The DS2438 chip definitely supports retrieving any of its values at anytime. What may be happening though is that the DS2438 also supports getting all the values back at once and OWFS may be doing that when it gets the temperature.

Eric

Thanks Eric. OWFS also does some caching, which I haven't tried turning off yet but was a bit suspicious of. You've at least eliminated the sensor itself as being the culprit for me, thanks!

Brent

Back