Testing alarm system regularly live with central station

ddennerline

Is there any way to test alarm without having to disconnect output 2 sirens? I am using an Elk 100 and Elk 1RT speaker. Since the alarm system is supposed to be checked once a month, I wanted to figure out a simple process to facilitate this practice. In particular, the test mode should reduce the volume to minimize risk of hearing damage. In reading through the posts, I know that variable volume control has been requested before. I hope that Elk adds this feature as it’s also important for differentiating between, “It’s seven AM,†and “Outside motion violated.â€

What are some recommended approaches for testing the alarm system without receiving a police visit? I want the Elk to talk to the central station instead of just doing a walk test. A walk test verifies zones are working, but it does not verify control panel to central station operation. My alarm company allows me to place account into "Test Mode." AlarmCo tracks/reports all zone violations through a Web interface, so I don't have to stay on phone while jarring each sensor open.

It would be nice if ElkRP had some sort of custom “Test Alarm,†alarm global setting/automation task that did the following.
1) Once the TestAlarm option is set, then set a X-seconds timer
2) Chirp medium level the outside alarm once after first violated zone
3) Chirp low level the inside sirens every time a violated zone is detected (sort of like a walk test).
4) Once all the zones have been tested, then say, “Test Completed.â€
5) After test timer expires say, "Normal operation resumed."

I suspect I would have to use some combination of DPDT shunt resistor on output 2 to achieve the results above. I played around a little bit with counters and custom-counters, so it probably programmable with some ingenuity and elbow grease.

I don't know about automating the zone testing, but there is already a communicator test feature built into the M1. You can program the M1 to send a special "test" signal to the central station based on a timer setting. You do not have to put the system on "test" with the central station to perform this test. I have mine set up to send a test signal every thirty days. I can check the central station log every so often to make sure the test signals are still going.

You can access the setting in the M1 with Elk RP at Communicator/ System RCs/ Automatic test. In the box above you can set the test frequency and time to test.

Thank you for pointer.

My alarm panel is programmed Communicator>System RCs>Automatically test communicator every day to 2AM. In addition, each Elk armed/disarmed event is sent via communicator because CS provides user activity reporting.

I want to test the system as if intruder broke into house without the police coming and neighbors being alarmed.

The walk test feature is good start, but it cannot test the police, fire, and medical signals. I want to use the fake smoke to set off the smoke detectors; verify CS is properly notified; check that smoke detector is properly reset (SAUS reset).

Back