The best zwave controller that works with Sonos, Nest and iOS?

Nicknorth70

Just trying to see what people thoughts are on the best controller for zwave with iOS, Nest, Sonos.. Or does this even exist?

I use a Vera Edge.  I don't integrate my Vera directly with Nest or Sonos, but I know there are third party plugins that allow Vera to talk to both Sonos and Nest and that people use them.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum NickNorth70 and durosity.

Yeah most if not all Z-Wave controllers are just the same Z-Wave (Z-Wave old and Z-Wave +) board connected to a serial port then maybe to a network port.

IE: the Leviton Z-Wave PIM I use is a pure serial connection to the Leviton OmniPro 2.  The Homeseer Z-Troller was just a serial connection to the mother ship.  The new Homeseer Z-Net device is a serial Z-Wave chip plugged in to the RPi2 GPIO pins then via software talks to the network.  Automation hubs have multiple radios and some have serial port via USB connectivity.

So what you are looking for is either a firmware automation device or automation software that talks Z-Wave, Nest and Sonos.

Most/many software/firmware automation packages today talk to all three. 

Relating to software automation today you can choose your OS of choice; IE: Wintel, Linux or iOS.

Relating to firmware they all have the typical web interface and smart phone interfaces. 

With the software or firmware some interfaces are very granular while others remain very simple.

It is what you are most comfortable with.   Some folks prefer to automate via their smart phone or their tablet or their desktop PC.  Most new stuff lets you choose all or just one of these methdodologies.

There is no best way to do this; there are many ways to do this and many different methodologies of presentation as well as pricing.

Personally here utilize a combination automation / security panel made by Leviton / HAI called the OmniPro 2 (firmware) and Homeseer 2-3 software.  The Homeseer software talks Z-Wave, Nest and Sonos.  You can use it IFTTT, customize your smart phone / tablet interfaces with a Homeseer designer application. 

I am biased a bit and very familiar with these two products as I have used them for a long time (Homeseer since 1998 and the OPII panel since around 2003). 

I do play with the new automation stuff and I am impressed with what it can do as I do like to tinker with this stuff.

Back