The Big Door

stacyh3

I searched around the forums and couldn't find the specifics of this anywhere. Has anyone connected their garage door to their sucurity system in such a way that using the remote opener for the garage door disarms the security system? Is this even a good idea? As I see it, it's as secure as your garage remote.

Assuming this were secure, I think it could be done by using the same leads on the opener receiver that shorts the switch on the motor. Could these be connected directly to a zone input on an Elk-M1 or other system?

I appreciate any thoughts and discussion.

Thanks,
Stacy

That's interesting and may work. I think most people use a wireless keyfob which could open the door and disarm the system. Personally I'm not a big fan of using a portable wireless device to disarm my system (theft of device), etc. In this scenario if someone steals your car and know where you live they now disarmed your system when they open your garage door.

I would prefer just the opposite. Using your alarm keyfob to open your garage door. This is assuming that alarm keyfobs are more secure than garage door (homelink compatible) remote controls.

I use GE/ITI/Caddx 4-button fobs with the M1G. I use rules to arm away, disarm, operate GDO and turn inside lights on. The fob can do 6-functions, but pressing two keys together is a pain. I have a rule that when I press operate GDO - the alarm is disarmed at the same time. You can usually find these fobs on eBay for around $24 NIB. I have a PCS dimmer controlling my 3 front outside lights, which blink 3x when the system is armed away.

I just bought 3 of those fobs, and am hoping to use them the same way. Couldn't you add more functionality by supporting triggering different rules, based on the # of presses (kind of like a car remote)?

There are 4 hard buttons and supposedly 8 'soft' buttons. This is from the manual:

Press the UP or DOWN arrow keys to locate the keyfob button to program. There are
a total of 8 programmable buttons, however only 6 of the 8 may be used on the keyfob.
The valid activation events programmable for each button ranges from 0000-0030
(utilizing the Zone Definitions table) and 2001-2032 (utilizing Appendix A, Event Codes).
The standard buttons are as follows: Button 1 (Lock), 2 (Unlock), 3 (Light), and 4
(Asterisk). For Button 7 press a combination of buttons 1 & 2 together at the same
time. For Button 8 press a combination of buttons 3 & 4 together at the same time.
Button 3 on a keyfob can be changed to 5 by setting the transmitter Option 1 to Yes.
Button 4 on a keyfob can be changed to 6 by setting the transmitter Option 2 to Yes.

I guess you could write rules that counts how many times you press a certain button in a certain timeframe and have certain action triggered based on that. Kind of the same as I did once counting how many times the paddle on a switch was pressed.

A security system is only as secure as its weakest link. In general, security is best applied in layers. In the case of any system with a wireless remote, whatever is secured by that remote is only as secure as long as that remote is secure and outside the range of the remote.

With an alarm deactivation triggered the way some people have it in this thread, if someone got your keys, they can get your car, get into your garage, possibly into your house, and access to anything they want of yours. In my opinion, this collapses the layers of security down to 1 or 2, which is exactly the opposite of what you want to do to enhance security.

Another way to look at it is to use multiple factors. There are three factors that can be used for security - something you know (like a code), something you have (like a key or fob), or something you are (like a fingerprint or retina scan). Using 2 or more of these is generally better: i.e. more secure.

IMO, disarming your alarm by ANY single remote means is insecure and should be avoided.

Back