The Egg that Homeseer Technologies laid.

Rene said:
I am currently running HS2.0.2014 with ACRF, Doomotion,HAI thermostat, Ultralog, Caddx AWX and testing MCS temperature as well as USB-uirt also the backup plugin without any major problems.
Hi Rene:

Are you running the new Caddx plugin (AJW Caddx Plugin) with Homeseer 2.0 without any problems then?

Thanks for your comments,

BSR

BSR,

Yes, I am running the new AJW plugin, It works well, But you need to configure Caddx wuth their program, abd after it is setup, Iy has been working Fine.

Rene

Let me now if I can help you with the plugin.

I'll throw my two cents in.

1) I can't say anything at all about HS 2.0. :) After 3+ months I finally got it running last Friday (hardware issues, not software), and promptly went out of town for the holiday. I may find it's buggy as heck when I get home but for now....

2) I do discount what is said on message boards. By their nature, you only see the problems on the boards. Honestly, do you go out once a month and make entries saying "Hey, X software I bought is still working fantastic!"? But if you have a problem, the first thing you do is hit the boards and "What the @$%^@#$ is going on?!?". When you add in some members who are very verbal with their comments (Ah, yes Ski, you are included in that group B) ), and it sounds like the world is going to end. Yes, I'm concerned that a number of people with good reputations (yes Ski, you're also included in that group :p ) are having problems. But the apocalypse coming tomorrow. Not quite.

3) In defense of Tink, I started corresponding with him several years ago, before he joined HSTech. Since then, I've met him several times, and he does not have horns and a barbed tail. He's actually a real nice guy. Sometimes he doesn't come across well in email/forum threads, but don't demonize the guy for that. I was actually at his house last weekend for a MAHUG meeting. Yes, he had HS running with a boatload of plugins and no, it didn't bomb, crash, blow raspberries, or piddle on the carpet during the four hours I was there. It might have crashed 30 miutes after I left, but it was running fine while I was there.

One thing I loved. He has Cartell driveway sensors hooked up to his HAI panel, and from there to HS. When it detects incoming traffic on the driveway, HS announces one of several messages (ROC Randomizer) over the announcement speakers. The dog has memorized all of them. "Brad has soccer practice in 45 minutes", nothing. "The washing machine cycle is done", nothing. "The deep thought for today is.......", nothing. "A large metal object that might have 4 wheels is moving up the driveway", WOOF WOOF WOOF, and the dog heads for the front door. I'm still giggling about it four days later.

4) Oh heck, I forgot what #4 was, and my Margarita is kicking in. I'm sure this thread will still be going next time I read the forum. :p

Jlehnert

Points taken. :)

If it were a small group, or a non influential group that was complianing it would be a different story. We have original Keyware users that are abandoning the software in disgust. Heck.. even Rupp sez you have to be crazy to run HS2. (Do I need to quote him again.. B) )
This is an unacceptable situation for a piece of released software.
It is unacceptable to release an update to that released software without thorough testing first.
It is unacceptable to say that "we dont have the time to look at the SUPPORT forum"
Less time should be spent marketing, and more on support.

Tinks attitude and demeanor shine clear in his e-mails and posts. I am not the only one who thinks so... in fact I didn't bring it up... I'm sure in a social setting or a sales setting he may be just what you wanted to see, but his support falls far short.

#4 If you forgot #4 how can I comment on it... :p

Skibum,

Less time should be spent marketing, and more on support

I totally agree with you, but for them this is hobby taken a level further, which is a revenue generating business.

I am sure that their marketing plan is not how many more user we can add, but how can we sell our software of the company to someone like Honeywell, Microsoft etc, that is someone who want to get into the HA big time.

Increasing HS to $200 will not make them rich nor even pay for all of the time of blood sweat and tears that they have spent trying to get HS2 to a semi stable platform. It will only pay for expenses and salaries and MARKETING to big companies, not to the individual user market, which they have their share.

Lets face it, this is a HOBBY. Must people look at my house and say nice, but they would not spend the money on a UPB switch to make the house look occupied or save a few pennies in electricity.

My .02 worth.

Rene

Since I brought it up I will make one final comment on it. In none of my posts were there any personal or demoralizing attacks. I'm sure that Rupp, Tink, etc are great people that I would enjoy having a beer with.

My point is just a fact - perception is reality. Everyone has their own perception and that is their reality. My comments about Tink are based soley on my perception based on his comments in the HS forums. I maintain that many of his comments are rude, arrogant and unprofessional for a representive of a company, large or small. I have worked for both and can tell you a small company needs to work that much harder to support and protect their lifeblood - their customers. So my reality is that I would not do business with a company that talks to their customers - right or wrong in that manner in a public forum. No demons, no demoralizing - just business. And while I agree that a lot of forums tend to have problems and negative information, there are many that are very informational and supportive with little negativity. I have not seen much negativity or arrogance at CQC, HAL or ML.

I'm sorry Rene, nothing personal but I can not agree with your hobby theory. HS is a for profit corporation, period and as such has an obligation to support its customers. Should I assume that if I bought a project kit I should not expect it to work since it was just a hobby? Most people would not go out and spend the money on a Ferrari just to drive fast, but for those that do, does it mean that they are not entitled to proper support if it doesn't run as advertised?

HS has a very loyal following and a large customer base. They got that way for a reason. They apparently used to do the right things the right way. It seems they have misfired a little lately and have forgotten it is their customers - right or wrong that have gotten them where they are today. Seems they are still doing the right thing, just the wrong way. Whether the product is great or lousy doesn't matter. I have seen millions of pieces of junk sold if marketed and supported propely and I've seen great products die a horrible death due to the company behind it.

Nothing personal here, just my perception, which is my reality. :)

I've never commented on the quality of support from HS but here goes:

The quality of support and the responsiveness of HST has been going down hill for a while and I think it all started when MacroMark (director of marketing) started with the company. Having been associated with several IT companies that went belly up, the marketing people will completly break a good tech company with their foolhardy ideas (especially if they are not techies to begin with). Pricing and selling product are their primary concerns. The direction of HST has gone from supporting a great product to producing "something" (HS2) in an effort to increase the companies bottom line which is directly tied to HS Pro. This is at the cost of breaking ties with the "hobbyists" (all of us) and going after commercial accounts where the bigger dollars are. IMHO this is where the big push is and can be attributed to "evil marketing forces".

That said, no, I haven't upgraded to HS2 (still on 1.7.XX). I spend many hours reading the HS board and look upon HS2 as "unfinished". If and when I see problems in the functions of HS2 that I depend on clear up, then I will problably start the long process of testing (yes, I did buy the upgrade during the introductory period). For now, running 1.7.XX and reading the comments by all of you that have "been there and done that" will have to suffice.

Chuck

Chas821 said:
For now, running 1.7.XX and reading the comments by all of you that have "been there and done that" will have to suffice.

Chuck
You talking about me :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all...
Paul

Steve,

I'm sorry Rene, nothing personal but I can not agree with your hobby theory. HS is a for profit corporation, period and as such has an obligation to support its customers. Should I assume that if I bought a project kit I should not expect it to work since it was just a hobby? Most people would not go out and spend the money on a Ferrari just to drive fast, but for those that do, does it mean that they are not entitled to proper support if it doesn't run as advertised?

NO, I agree 100% that HS is a for profit business and as such it has the responsability to support its customers, what I was trying to say is that for most people HA is a hobby, and the demand for HA is not the same as for groceries, gasoline etc. We really are a group of fanatics trying for whatever is your ownpersonal reason, automate our homes.

But the fact is that there is NO real need to automate our home, therefore it is a hobby and there are only a limited number of consumers interested in HA, so they must find a larger market such as the the market that Microsoft or Carrier (HVAC) or Leviton or SONY could provide if they were to bundle HS software with their products... That in my opinion is the market they are looking for.

We are a very limited market, and unless they or some other company can create a new "HA fad" or "energy conservation", or "home security" it will continue being used by .0001% of the households.

This is a forum, and as such you have the right to your opinion, but It just happens that I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOURS!! :D

I have never nor will I ever have a problem with anyone here for disagreing with my opinion, just let me express it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Rene

Ski,

I owe you an apology. I just caught Tinks latest reply to you on the HS board. He's mucho out of line on that one.

I moved recently. I had a fully-functioning and well-integrated system at my old home in FL. Now that I've moved, I'm starting over from scratch. Here are my concerns and observations lately:

I can start from scratch and having been thru at least one major installation, that's a good thing. Experience is a good teacher.

I upgraded to HS2. I ran it in a VMware session with the Ocelot interface (for my X10 interface) for over two weeks in September. I had two devices and one event. It crashed about 30 times during that test. All by itself. But of course, VMware is not a "true" machine...

- It doesn't support all my hardware. In fact, it only supports about 60% of my hardware interfaces without having to buy expensive plugins.

- I don't care for the new price of plugins that don't work properly, don't work the way I want them to, or have functions that I don't need.

- It doesn't support much of my more complex scripting because of internal and, I suspect, .NET changes.

I'm still running 1.7 here now, as it is stable, works with my hardware, and runs the scripting I've already written. As I build the HA system in this new home, I'm still working with HS 1.7 and other technologies because they have proven themselves.

Will I switch to HS2? I'm not sure. Am I bashing HS and HS2? Well, kinda, but it's more of a wait-n-see position. Yes, I believe the move to v2 and .Net will, eventually, prove to be the correct move. For HS. I'm just not happy about how it is being handled and the maturity of the project and those around it.

Nor am I happy about being marched further and further down a proprietary road. Nope, I'm moving toward open source more every day. I'm a true DIYer, I"ll make and borrow building blocks and glue them together in an intelligent framework so things work the way I want them to. And if HS doesn't want DIYers any more, they can get their money from someone else. There'll always be another solution somewhere.

With the New Z-wave SDK an Open Source program for z-wave would be very easy. And now that the Elk can handle a ton of stuff and its SDK is available it makes the possibility to support that via open source also. Some of the more complicated stuff such as Voice Recognition could be implemented with enough research. Once I feel I have enough information gathered I plan to do My own open source program. It will not be nearly a powerful as CQC or other programs but it will 1) give me the programming practice I have been wanting and 2) freedom to do what ever my little heart wants.

Back