The Egg that Homeseer Technologies laid.

deranged said:
Rupp said:
There have been plenty of people having issues with EVERY build but that's not to say that there are several of us that are not having problems. Having said that, I see absolutely no reason to move a perfectly working HS 1.x install to 2.0 just so I can say I'm running 2.0. I believe many users are making poor decisions to move there home controller to a newly revamped software package. I may never move unless there is something that 2.0 offers that can't be done in 1.7 and so far I haven't had that problem. The ELK is a nice replacement but for those of us that do not need or want a security system it's a bit of a non fit.
Rupp,

I have no problem with your statement, and I agree if HS 1.7 is running rock solid why upgrade so fast. Wait until the bugs are worked out, EXCEPT HS stopped supporting 1.7. And the perfect example is the UPB plugin for 1.7, that doesn't exist.

And that right there ticks me off big time.

StevenE
But StevenE a UPB plugin does exist.

Ya might as well run up the white flag, Rupp. :p

You wont run HS2 because it sucks. That sez it all.
(You really should be ashamed for backing the HS 2 abomination without any real world experience)
HST won't even bother responding to Jayfro's post.

Nothing personal.... :D

Rupp, I assume StevenE is talking about the UPB plugin written by HST. That one works with 2.0 only.

But Ski I do run HS 2.0. I just haven't moved everything over. I have HS 2.0 running on one server and 1.7 on another. The HS 2.0 server has been up for 13 days. It checks my email and runs all of my web scraping(sp?). I just haven't had time to rewrite all of my plugins so it will be a while.

Rene said:
BSR,

Yes, I am running the new AJW plugin, It works well, But you need to configure Caddx wuth their program, abd after it is setup, Iy has been working Fine.

Rene

Let me now if I can help you with the plugin.
sbessel, a fellow Cocooner, was having a dickens of a time getting this to run. He may want to contact you on this. I haven't upgraded to HS 2.0 as I am still running HS 1.7 and Nitrox's plugin. I did recently do something though as my Caddx scripts are not running anymore :D . Have to start troubleshooting this someday.

The HS 2.0 server has been up for 13 days.

Not to get into a family dispute or anything, but that's kind of like saying that your child only hit 4 door jams on the way out of the house this morning :D For an automation system, as a measure of reliability, 13 days is indistinguishable from zero pretty much. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out what I think is a fairly obvious point. As some folks have pointed out, if we were talking about an unreleased, fresh off the slab beta, no one would blink an eye. But a released product ought to run until you decide to take it down, with zero growth of resource consumption.

I wouldn't even consider it much of a problem if it was just being sold within the realm of the cogniscenti who know what the state of the state is. But I see it on end user type web sites for sale to complete newbies without any mention of its status. I'm not saying that in any accusatory way, since I'm not a customer and any bad publicity for them is good for me, so what do I care, right? I'm just saying that that is probably costing them, and that it's not in their own best interests it seems to me. One bad experience and that person is liable to be found on the various fora bad-mouthing you for some time to come.

Good post, Dean.

If I do not touch HS2, and do not use it heavily, it will stay "running" for a long time.
That does not mean that it is running properly or correctly.

If you have to be "careful" with the product and it is a product of this type, than the product is CRAP. A product that runs systems within a home needs to be ROCK SOLID.
NO EXCUSES.

Yep...my HS2 is still running... solid as a rock...

Code:
11/26/2005 9:12:12 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:12:22 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:12:32 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:12:42 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:12:52 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:13:02 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:13:12 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:13:22 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:13:32 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:13:42 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:13:52 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:14:02 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:14:12 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:14:22 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:14:32 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:14:42 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:14:52 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:15:02 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:15:12 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:15:22 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:15:32 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:15:42 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:15:52 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:16:02 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:16:12 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key 
11/26/2005 9:16:22 AM   Error  Thread Check Timer exception in clearing old thread IDs, Value cannot be null.Parameter name: key

Unfrigginbelievable.

electron said:
Rupp, I assume StevenE is talking about the UPB plugin written by HST. That one works with 2.0 only.
Yes I was referring to a plugin that should be written by HST for 1.7x.

Rupp, I believe is referring to a xap plugin for upb that works with HS 1.7 and xap.
Which is fine for those who have lots of time to tinker, but I almost never touch my HA installation and don't want to spend the time messing with Xap. Just to get to use UPB.

StevenE

And most companies developing software support AT LEAST one version back, if not more. Can you imagine if M$ stopped supporting the previous version of any of their apps as soon as the new one was out?

I want to chime in here....

I have been running HS in my home since 1.5, it has had it's ups and downs, but if I stayed on the released versions it has been stable. The beta's were another story, but no complaints as I made the choice to run a beta version.

Due to personal reasons I have been completely out of the automation loop for little over a year, I have left my 1.7 alone and made no upgrades and changes, it is stable, going down only whne I asked or for the frequent Microsoft updates.

About 2 years ago I installed HS 1.7 for a friend, this was going to be a demo house for me as I wanted to to this professionally. Cost was not an issue, I put in a wonderfully stable server and base 1.7 system with all needed hardware and plug-ins. This system had minimum usage and connections as it was only connected to the CADDX system, no lights or anything else connected.

Jump to 3 weeks ago, I ran into some unexplained Microsoft issues that caused me to loose all of my HS license data (who would have known that HS stores 98% in the HomeSeer directory, and the critical license data in the user hive in the registry).

At the same time I installed some UPB switches. I tried for a good 4 hours and was unable to get them working with XAP and 1.7 - I then went to HS looking for something for 1.7, found there was nothing new and my only UPB option was the RELEASED 2.0, not beta...

So I installed 2.0, gained UPB connectivity, lost CADDX... and now the server hangs once a day, if not more. On this system I have 8 lights, and 3 events. This is all using release software.

HS is non responsive, and seems to have completely changed it's tune with it's 2.0 release. I would rather they stuck with the tried and true methods they used before, releases and betas - and nothing makes it to release until solid in beta.

(and yes my CADDX is still broke)

sbessel;

Hopefully Rene can chime in here to post about how he got his Caddx system working with the new plugin and HS2.0! ;)

This one capability is keeping me from jumping into HS2.0 as I have a lot of integration with my automation system with my Caddx security system.

Still happily running 1.7.44 w/ the FREE W800 plugin.

I came to HS after an unhappy experience w/ my 2 $16 Lowes closeout HAL deluxe kits. (VR over a mic would lock the computer - solution? Disable VR.)

When I started w/ HS, I was surprised how many bugs fixes remained in a supposedly mature product (I think I started w/ 1.6.xx.), mostly issues w/ the modem and phone - but they were corrected. And 1.7 works great. Haven't touched 2.0.

Someone here described 2.0 as "newly released" or similar. I would disagree, it has been out quite a while - well past the introductory pricing period.

I thought 1.6+ had EXCELLENT tech support, my questions were often answered by Rich or Rick (and sometimes Rupp) in the forums. Never had a reason to find out what a "Help Desk Ticket" was.

Can't say I see that same level of support anymore, albeit that is understandable. When one has bills to pay, one does what is necessary to pay them.

Hence, IMHO (based on bug reports, new releases, and fewer helpful responses from HST), 2.0 was released WAY too early causing a cascade of undesirable effects.

I have faith 2.0 will be fixed, but if 1.6 is an example, it will take a long time. The damage to HS's formerly outstanding reputation will take much longer to repair.

My.02

GLT

(And yes, I will probably move to 2.5 someday - I just don't see anything else that will do what HS does.)

Back