The End is Near for HomeSeer 1.7x

I am not sure on the agreements between the authors and HST for plugins but I would think that if HST drops HS1.7.44, that the authors would be able to supply the plugins and support by themselves. I have had what I consider excellent support from Brian on the Hauppauge plugin for new options before being released.

I would hope that plugin upgrades would still be available direct from the authors. I have been able to get support direct without going through HST but still using the HS updater program standalone function.

I haven't looked at ML yet but my problem with CQC is that I have been doing HA for many years and many of my requirements use older hardware and are not supported. I have the Ocelot, Omni Pro, and a very expensive video system. It is hard to justify replacing hardware that works especially when it is only a few years old. Unless you are one of those that doesn't have to consider cost and effort required to continually update everything to the latest and greatest.

For me, HA is a great tool for controlling a home as well as energy reduction, Not a full time hobby.

The same rule works for both hardware and software. If it works and does what you need, DON'T FIX IT.

I am finally going to replace my 1994 Town car. Not because of all the new functions and features of the later models but because is is starting to not do what I need it to do. Give satisfactory function and performance.

kyham said:
I haven't looked at ML yet but my problem with CQC is that I have been doing HA for many years and many of my requirements use older hardware and are not supported. I have the Ocelot, Omni Pro, and a very expensive video system. It is hard to justify replacing hardware that works especially when it is only a few years old. Unless you are one of those that doesn't have to consider cost and effort required to continually update everything to the latest and greatest.
I don't think you will find a single package that supports everything out of the box. You want to look for a good track record and ability to add drivers, whether written yourself or by others. Where would Homeseer be without all of the plugins? And BTW, the Omni is supported in CQC and it would not be terribly difficult to do an Ocelot driver. And if your video system has RS232 then a driver could be done for it as well. There are new drivers being written every day. So it would be extremely silly to consider replacing expensive hardware if you need to move to a different platform as long as you can get drivers for them.

Kyham, As you have a HS 1.7 setup now, you could easily add MainLobby / MLHSplugin to your current setup with all of the existing, working, setup drivers and events, etc. Piece O Cake and fun. As you seem to do a lot of travel, you could develop your new MainLobby scenes on a Laptop PC and network it when you get home. Good to do in a hotel room :angry:

In terms of device support, ML would be just like CQC except it has considerably less hardware support, and you'd still be stuck with HS.

What A/V hardware do you have? As I've mentioned before, I've got the guts of an Ocelot driver, but it's just not something I can afford the time to take forward. If someone wants to pick it up and take it forward, just le me know.

Steve said:
kyham said:
I have the Ocelot, Omni Pro, and a very expensive video system. It is hard to justify replacing hardware that works especially when it is only a few years old. I don't think you will find a single package that supports everything out of the box. And BTW, the Omni is supported in CQC and it would not be terribly difficult to do an Ocelot driver. And if your video system has RS232 then a driver could be done for it as well.
I recently checked on the CQC support forum and the only Ocelot and Omni Pro systems supported are the II versions so no help there. The video projector is a Mitsubishi X400 which does have a RS-232 interface, along with a Pioneer DV-F727 300 disk DVD jukebox, Onkyo TX-DS575X AM/FM amp, Dish network, a couple of VHS VCR's, and a Sony SL2000 Beta VCR.

I never said I was up to date on hardware. :angry: None of the hardware is broke so I don't try to fix it.

I am trying to get all my BETA tapes converted over to DVD but I have LOTS of them.

Yes, CQC supports several IR devices:

The following devices are currently supported:

* Global Cache GC-100
* Evation IRMan
* Ira-2
* R2DI IR5000 (currently available for pre-order, but the driver is already available in CQC.)
* USB-UIRT

Dean Roddey said:
Don,
Doesn't CQC have an IR solution to run all that older equipment?

Definitely, yeh. He just mentioned the Ocelot and I wasn't sure if it was just being used for IR necessarily.
I have the older Ocelot. CQC only supports the Ocelot II and Omni Pro II using the network interface. No SERIAL support. NO IR on the Ocelot.

The Omni Pro has most of my motion detectors so that would eliminate a good portion of my HA.

I'll take another look when I get back from my current job assignment.

No time left right now.

upstatemike said:
kyham said:
...and a Sony SL2000 Beta VCR.
Which one is the SL2000? I have an SL-HF2100 (anniversary edition). Really nice machine!
It is the two piece 20# portable with the seperate camera and 10' cord.

Each about the size of a cigar box.

kyham said:
upstatemike said:
kyham said:
...and a Sony SL2000 Beta VCR.
Which one is the SL2000? I have an SL-HF2100 (anniversary edition). Really nice machine!
It is the two piece 20# portable with the seperate camera and 10' cord.

Each about the size of a cigar box.
OK, I remember that one. In fact I used to own one but I think I gave to my brother. Moved on to new and fancier machines like the SL-HF 750 and SL-HF 900. I bet I still have at least 3 functioning Beta decks left. Also a couple of Laser Disc players. I'm still not convinced that this new DVD thing is going to take off.

kyham, I have an x800 mitsu front projector and am using it via a MainLobby Server plugin. I betcha it would work on yours as well.

Pioneer DV-F727 300 disk DVD jukebox
I assume this is IR? there are a few IR send devices that are supported by MainLobby, but I assume you have one connected to Homeseer so you are good to go.

Onkyo TX-DS575X AM/FM amp
I assume you are using IR for this too?

Dish network
IR too?

a couple of VHS VCR's
Definately IR

and a Sony SL2000 Beta VCR
Does this support SLink? MLServer (and Homseer) both support the Slinke if that is what you are using here.

sounds like easy coverage.

Back