The Ultimate Home Automation Software List

Please add Home Control Assistant, ECS, & MisterHouse to the Windows list.
http://www.hcatech.com/
http://omnipotencesoftware.com/

Can we make this into a matrix and indicate status or plans for Z-Wave, UPB & Insteon support?

I assume you are basically wanting "essentially software only" solutions? Meaning all you NEED is a CM11a or similar to start playing?

Otherwise, for hardware based you can add:
HAI
Elk
JDS
HomeVision
Ocelot

We'll have to start another thread in the hardware forum, I totally forgot about that. Eventually I will put them all nicely in one document. I do like the Matrix idea, this is definitely something we have to do. I am also going to add the protocols each application supports, until I get a chance to create the new matrix.

electron said:
Since there are so many home automation software packages out there, I want to start putting together a list of free and commercial solutions, no matter what platform...
GREAT JOB! Another thing off my "To-Do" List. I "entered" my Suggestions (formatting, additional information, alphabetize, etc...) below.

(I'm posting it now, but still looking up additional information as time permits. A "lightbulb" Post Icon would be ideal for INFORMATION PACKED Posts like this)

This is a "Work-in-Progress" Document!

Windows:Linux:Mac:
  • Indigo: X10-PLC,X10-RF | ? | $x.xx
  • Xtension: X10-PLC,X10-RF | ? | $x.xx
Column alignment is difficult!

I wrote a special script (temp. work name is "The Matrix" lol) which can automatically 'matrixify' any CSV based data, and you have the option of hiding columns etc, so you don't have to worry about formatting etc, and anyone can contribute their own product comparison by creating the file in Exel, and save it in the CSV format. Here is an example, keep in mind that the software is in beta still, and the layout is far from done, since I planned on integrating this with the new site layout:

Webcam Matrix

electron said:
I wrote a special script (temp. work name is "The Matrix" lol) which can automatically 'matrixify' any CSV based data, and you have the option of hiding columns etc, so you don't have to worry about formatting etc, and anyone can contribute their own product comparison by creating the file in Exel, and save it in the CSV format.
Now THAT'S a piece of work! (Not something one casually creates in NotePad). What did you use? Is this your occupation?

I've been teaching myself HTML through books and GeoCities "experiments" (using NotePad and/or an older version of FrontPage). It's defintely interesting! [So many hobbies - so little time...]

P.S. Is there a reason why Invision Power Board doesn't use the full width of the screen? I'm on a 12" Laptop LCD, 1024x768, and I have 1¼" of "grey w/white dots" on both sides.

The script is coded in PHP, it automatically generates the data on the fly, so it's easy to make changes etc. Just one of the many other hobbies I have.

The next version of the site (should be really soon) won't have the fixed width issue. I am reminded of this problem every day since I browse the site at 1600x1200 :blink:

I'll add the PowerHome info...

PowerHome

X10-PLC, X10-RF, IR

Also web, WAP, email, socket communications, Windows Messaging, and voice recognition

CM11A, CM17A, MR26A, PowerLinc (Serial and USB), W800RF32, CPU-XA/Ocelot, Velleman K8000 , IR: CIR (Computerized Infrared Remote), Multi-CIR, RedRat2, RedRat3, CPU-XA/Ocelot, USB-UIRT, Slink-e

$69.95

Tony

Back