The Ultimate Home Automation Software List

Instead of trying to list the devices, which would seriously underestimate most good products, why not just provide a link to the supported devices, since most products will have a single top level page for accessing documentation on their supported devices.

You could still have a check box type thing for some key features or something, but a link would provide folks quick access to a real list of devices.

And while you are doing check list items, how about:

Graphical Front End (None, Integrated, Browser, Third party)
Interface Design Tools (None, Integrated, Third party)
Network Topology (None, single machine, distributed)
Security (Insecure, User Based, Product Based, OS Based)
Licensing (None, Per-seat, Network)
Macro Language (none, built in, third party)
Language Environment (None, Third Party, Text Built In, Graphical Built In)
Text to Speech
Speech Recognition
Scheduled Events
Media Support (Renderer, Repository, Controller, or combo of)
Platform (Software only, Hardware only, Both)

And I'm sure that there are others. But you could get a list like this into a pretty compact format probably, and it would provide a lot of compartive information in a small space.

Here's it a bit more organized:
  1. Windows
  2. Linux
  3. Mac

Compuguru;

Please add Premise SYS by Motorola to the windows side and Pluto to the Lynix and Windows sides.

Also, in your control interface breakdown, several items are missig from some of the higher end packages. Lutrons RadioRA comes to mind.

I already added Pluto to the list (the first post is the official CocoonTech.com list), and will add Premise now.

You (and/or the group) need to put some thought into how to handle some of the more flexible programs. For instance, Premise and Homeseer have both hardware and software based versions. Also, how do you differentiate between core capabilities vs add-on capabilities (ie in Homeseer X10 is native but Lightolier Compose is a additional fee add-on).

I'm not throwing stones, I think this is an EXCELLENT idea. The problem is that the software analyst side of me kicks in and starts looking at things that will bit you if the initial design is not thought out fully. And yes, don't even start talking about the percentage of IS system designs that are fully thought out (<.001%). ;)

jlehnert said:
For instance, Premise and Homeseer have both hardware and software based versions.
Not trying to flame, but ARE they really different versions? Or jsut different SKUs? Isn't the HomeSeer Pro just regular HS that is preinstalled on a fixed hardware platform? From a profession installer perspective, yes, I can see that it makes a difference in whay you buy, sell, & support. But aren't the core capabilities the same as the "install it on your own PC" version?

But I do see your point and maybe the HS Pro should be on the hardware list also, even if it is just a carbon copy of its entry in the software list. I don't know anything about the current state of Premise, so I didn't speculate.

HS Pro should probably be added to the hardware list, but since it isn't available yet, I did not post it. As for supported protocols, any plugins can be included in this list (I am just not familiar with all the protocols these products support, so feel free to correct me, I know I missed a lot, but that's why I posted it here ;)), but in the matrix, we will indicate somehow that the protocol is an extra cost/plugin or core functionality.

MainLobby is also a great front end software choice, from the looks of it, it is much more user friendly.

It wasnt working for me because its on port 81 and i was at work :blink: It works fine here at home.

Back