Thermostat Interface

jdklem

Do any of the home automation systems (HAI, ELK, OCELOT, etc.) support triggering an event based upon whether or not a thermostat is actually calling for heat? I would like to monitor thermostats via communication network, and then trigger valves and dampers based upon what the thermostat are calling for.

Thanks

CQC can do that. However, I think that most professionals would argue that you should use a dedicated (read: much simpler) system for controlling such a sensitive mechanism in the home. Personally, I think that CQC can handle it just fine, but I have to be honest and point out that most professionals would probably cringe at the the thought.

The systems with analog inputs (Ocelot, Elk) can do it by monitoring the voltage across the relay coil controlling the furnace. The easiest and safest way would be to get a small relay with a coil voltage just like the one being used by the furnace (normally 24v ac) and use the contact closure to trigger a supervised input/alarm zone.

The other thought is that the "CQC" or other HA software controller might not be responsible for the heat decision, but just the routing of heat and balancing. Worse comes worse, dependent on how the overall system is designed, that the house may still be heated (no frozen pipes while away on vacation), but not necessarily evenly (no critical deal) if CQC was to freak out (I know Dean, never will happen :ph34r: )

I also made that point above, that most pros would argue for a specialized and simple controller for such things. As I said, I think CQC would handle it just fine, but with something that critical, folks should take a very conservative approach. Event a generalized hardware based controller might not be appropriate, relative to a dedicated system made just for this task.

In my opinion the HA systems can send data to and receive data from the wall thermostat, but if the HA system fails, either PC based or embedded based, you still want the wall thermostat to be able to heat and cool your home.

If something can fail, eventually it will! :ph34r:

Spanky said:
In my opinion the HA systems can send data to and receive data from the wall thermostat, but if the HA system fails, either PC based or embedded based, you still want the wall thermostat to be able to heat and cool your home.

If something can fail, eventually it will! :ph34r:
CQC as an alternate UI to work my thermostat is the path that I followed.

Ok, technically the wallmount is the alternate UI, CQC is primary, but regardless there's a backup.

I do not recall a flag in the thermostats that turns on when there is a call for heat or cool, but I can stand corrected. The current thermostat interface to the outside world does not offer that signal.

Back