Thermostat

I need to use two thermostat for two systems in a large installation. One is normal heating and another is for radiant heating. I am using home seer.

I would like to have a touch screen thermostat, I couldn't find any tocuh screen thermostat that work with homeseer (or any automation system)
Do any one know about any touch screen thermostat?

Do any one have any suggesstion for radiant heating thermostat with homeseer?

Thanks

I need to use two thermostat for two systems in a large installation. One is normal heating and another is for radiant heating. I am using home seer.

I would like to have a touch screen thermostat, I couldn't find any tocuh screen thermostat that work with homeseer (or any automation system)
Do any one know about any touch screen thermostat?

Do any one have any suggesstion for radiant heating thermostat with homeseer?

Thanks
http://www.homeauto.com/Products/Omnistat/rc80.asp

When you say "radiant heating", what kind of heating do you mean? Floor heat, radiator hot water heat, electric baseboard heat?

Steve Q

I installed floor heating in my upstairs and downstairs bathrooms (electric mat type). I used the thermostats that are designed for use with the system. There was really no other alternative because the thermostat has a temperature sensing probe that is installed in the floor. One of the thermostats is programmable, the other is not. I have the non programmable system on a relay that I control via my home automation computer (Homeseer). I only turn the system ON in the morning when the temperature outdoors is less than 45 degrees. This works quite well.

For HVAC systems, I think the best approach is to use a relay to switch the system ON or OFF to achieve your desired goal of energy conservation or temperature setback control. This approach allows the system to operate as intended and does not bypass any safety controls built-in to all HVAC systems. Also, I believe it would not void the warranty, because you are only switching the system OFF.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Steve Q

From aprilare dist panel (8818) to 8870 I need to connect usingCAT5. Do I need all 4 pair wires in CAT 5 for this communication? I see in the manual only 4 wires are usind(two pairs) . Can I use the remaining wires for something else?

From aprilare dist panel (8818) to 8870 I need to connect usingCAT5. Do I need all 4 pair wires in CAT 5 for this communication? I see in the manual only 4 wires are usind(two pairs) . Can I use the remaining wires for something else?

One pair is used for transmitting data and one for receiving data. The other two pairs are free but you should probably use at least one to power the 8870 itself. Depending on your system, you might be able to power it from the HVAC system but I believe Aprilaire suggests keeping the power separate. Due to the size of the wire, using the extra pairs to control the HVAC system probably wouldnt be a good idea.

I installed floor heating in my upstairs and downstairs bathrooms (electric mat type). I used the thermostats that are designed for use with the system. There was really no other alternative because the thermostat has a temperature sensing probe that is installed in the floor. One of the thermostats is programmable, the other is not. I have the non programmable system on a relay that I control via my home automation computer (Homeseer). I only turn the system ON in the morning when the temperature outdoors is less than 45 degrees. This works quite well.

For HVAC systems, I think the best approach is to use a relay to switch the system ON or OFF to achieve your desired goal of energy conservation or temperature setback control. This approach allows the system to operate as intended and does not bypass any safety controls built-in to all HVAC systems. Also, I believe it would not void the warranty, because you are only switching the system OFF.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Steve Q

Could I just use an X10 appliance module as a relay to turn the system on or off? Or would I ruin the HVAC system from not properly shutting down?

Back