This is a wierd one.....a friends dog and M1

fleetz

Please don't ask for me to be committed!

We have some really good friends who for whatever reason never had children. Their kids are two lovely dogs and very intelligent ones at that.

What I would like to do is work out a way that they are able to let themselves in via our gatehouse which is a door with a electric strike. Have a M1 system and at this stage of installation I have run an extra 6 core cable going to the gatehouse....must have known an unusual application was coming up. :rolleyes:

Funny enough the security side is not a big issue whilst when are in residence, it is a small town <4000 people so having a less than fail safe way the pups can activate whatever would let them is not an issue. They are really smart dogs and once they get the thread they never and I mean never forget!

Is RFID and option with M1? The pups don't normally where a collar..whilst they have them every one knows them in town so they don't normally wear them. That said it doesn't mean that for this application they wouldn't. It could be the trigger for them that they are going to Uncle Fleetz!!

Not sure what other way is possible... assuming the M1 support RFID is some way shape or form....may a K9 Bio Metric paw pad!!! :unsure:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Fleetz

I wonder if those subcutaneous RFID tags they use on pets could be scanned from a reasonable distance? I think vets use a handheld scanner to read them so perhap the dogs could be trained to walk up to one.

If it works then maybe it would start a new trend in keyless entry ...

I wonder if those subcutaneous RFID tags they use on pets could be scanned from a reasonable distance? I think vets use a handheld scanner to read them so perhap the dogs could be trained to walk up to one.

If it works then maybe it would start a new trend in keyless entry ...

I've done a lot of development work on a large scale system that used the subcutaneous RFID tags (cats in this case), and it was challenging to get a long read distance. If you have a "doggy door" style entry where it is gated down, you can probably situate an antenna close enough to read it. Read distances with common antenna types were measured in inches, not feet. I didn't find too much difference between Trovan or AVID systems in terms of read distance, but they are not cross-compatible. Keep in mind that my information is over 5 years out of date though.

Most vendors do sell reader solutions with RS232 outputs, so interfacing to automation systems should not be a big deal, but the readers were very expensive (~$1000). We ended up having to go with a fully custom design for our application.

You might want to check out the RFID stuff at Cheapertronics. The system I have to monitor if my car or van is at home uses a RS232 receiver and 2 bigger transmitters, but they have the keyfob transmitters that might work in your situation.

What about a phidgets with a pressure/force sensor. Put the sensor under a floor mat, and tune it to activate the strike when the dogs stand on the mat.

Tune it to their weight or something, so if an adult stands on the mat nothing happens. (too much weight).

Cost would be like $100....

What about a clevery disguised doorbell button near the ground (within their reach). Train the dogs to push the button, and pop the door open

What about put an RFID sensor pad near the ground in their reach. Embed a RFID tag inside a tennis ball. Leave the ball outside your door. Train the dogs to pick up the ball when they come over and go near the sensor pad. Then they wouldn't have to 'wear' a RFID tag all the time

:ph34r:
Please don't ask for me to be committed!

We have some really good friends who for whatever reason never had children. Their kids are two lovely dogs and very intelligent ones at that.

What I would like to do is work out a way that they are able to let themselves in via our gatehouse which is a door with a electric strike. Have a M1 system and at this stage of installation I have run an extra 6 core cable going to the gatehouse....must have known an unusual application was coming up. :rolleyes:

Funny enough the security side is not a big issue whilst when are in residence, it is a small town <4000 people so having a less than fail safe way the pups can activate whatever would let them is not an issue. They are really smart dogs and once they get the thread they never and I mean never forget!

Is RFID and option with M1? The pups don't normally where a collar..whilst they have them every one knows them in town so they don't normally wear them. That said it doesn't mean that for this application they wouldn't. It could be the trigger for them that they are going to Uncle Fleetz!!

Not sure what other way is possible... assuming the M1 support RFID is some way shape or form....may a K9 Bio Metric paw pad!!! :unsure:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Fleetz

How about a two step approach of pressure sensitive pad and "Bark" recognition software.

Fido wants in........Fido Stands on pad in front of door and barks. Most dogs do this naturally :rolleyes:

These are available as a consumer device off the shelf, just look at the newer doggy doors. The high end setups that require the dog to wear a tag... You guessed it. Might look at Plexdoor I know they make an RFID pet door for wall mount at about $800. Unfortunately they aren't big enough for one of mine.

If you are not looking to be secure, then you should easily be able to train the dogs to press a button to open the doors. We had our dogs trained to ring a bell when they wanted to go out. It was a small bell hanging on a rope. Once, the dog wanted to go out so bad that he yanked the bell off the rope and brought it to us!

If you have a dog-friendly pushbutton, train the dogs to press the button then push open the door. Of course, any person can do that too, but you did say you're not worred about security.

Seth

Thanks Guys!

Some really good suggestions...sorry for the tardy response to your input a serious family issue have totally distracted me over the last week.

I will follow up on the suggestion next week when I come up for air.

Again thanks for you collective and valuable suggestion.

Regards,

Fleetz

I remember reading a few years ago about someone who was using image recognition to determine if it was his cat that wanted in or not.

Using the silhouette as the image, he could determine if it was his cat, and if it was his cat did it have anything in its mouth (mouse etc). using rules he could let in or refuse entry. He had the cat walk through a "tunnel" of sorts so he could get the image he needed.

Mick

I remember reading a few years ago about someone who was using image recognition to determine if it was his cat that wanted in or not.

Using the silhouette as the image, he could determine if it was his cat, and if it was his cat did it have anything in its mouth (mouse etc). using rules he could let in or refuse entry. He had the cat walk through a "tunnel" of sorts so he could get the image he needed.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Life can get complicated.....and don't we all love it! With Jerry it would have to be a bloody big tunnel!! :blink:

In the final stages of the implimentation of the C-Bus and M1 installation...a lot happening here and 4000kms away all at the same time! Life is a real challenge at the minute.

Thanks for the input as always appreciated.

Regards,

Fleetz

Back