Thoughts on ZWave?

Great job Martin! I can't wait to get my hands on some of this zwave stuff (lightolier is out of my league lol) someday.

Was just reading the manual for Z-Wave. What a diference from X-10 installations!

Am I understanding this correctly?

The manual indicated that the "Master Remote" must be used to program the modules, and has to be within six feet of the module (That's why the remote is portable)

If you unplug a module and plug it in somewhere else, you have to carry the remote to within six feet of the new location, uninstall the module and relearn the module.

ONLY the remote used to ORIGINALLY program a module can reprogram it, regardless of how many remotes you may have. Secondary remotes must be CLONED from the original remote to access the module, but cannot program them.

The instructions advised that after programming, put the original remote away in a safe, secure place, and only use secondary CLONED remotes for turning modules on and off!

Looks like you have to purchase at least one extra $60.00 remote for daily use.

The instructions also indicated that if a module accidently becomes unpluged, without being officially removed from the Master Remote's configuration, and all re-Cloned remotes, that the other modules may take up to a minute to respond to commands, due to a "missing" module.

And folks think X10 is flakey? If an X10 module becomes unplugged, the rest of the system keeps working normally!

I'm starting to have some seconds thoughts about ZWave, seems much more restrictive on set-up procedures, and not very flexible for making changes on the fly!

If you can't unplug a module, move it to a new location and plug it back in without having to uninstall its old location, then reprogram it at its new location, does this mean that if a module loses power, it loses it programing? What happens during an eletrical power outage, do you have to uninstall and reinstall everything?

Am I missing something here?

Has anyone actually used Z-Wave in the real world to confirm or dispell my understanding of this?

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks

John

Those are some really good questions, I do know you have to buy those remotes in order to be able to program them, even if you have the computer interface, but from what I understand, they are coming out with a cheaper remote (or at least one would hope so). I do have my doubs too, but the protocol is much faster and more secure, but I do hope that a power outage doesn't require reprogramming all modules or Zwave won't be an option for me. We have a few Zwave users on this board, hopefully they will chime in.

Nice post, John....

so Z-Wave becomes ZZZZZ Wave.... can you say good night? What a conundrum.

Thanks for that info John. I had no idea. Think I'll wait a few years, following my wife's advice!

I realize their perks, but what you have posted sounds like a SERIOUS downside!

Just to be clear, I have not used this product and I'm not trying to BASH it!

The concept seems great! I have a couple of locations where my X10 is not completely 100% reliable (yes I use couplers and filters) and I thought Z-Wave would be a solution. Dedicated hardwiring is not really an option for me, so I look to PLC (X10) and wireless solutions.

I was getting ready to place an order, and was searching for a little bit more information when I came across a place to download the docs. That's where my questions came from.

I love technology and have no problem spending money on anything that I THINK I need and/or have a use for. I love the Gee Whiz factor! That's what Hobbies are all about! (Heck, back in 1985, I bought my first airplane brand new off the Cessna assembly line, and I didn't even have a pilot's license! It was easy to then justify spending the time and money on flight lessons!)

But, I have too many boxes of expensive stuff that didn't really seem to work the way I thought they would, so....

I was hoping that someone here has real world experience, and can confirm or dispel my interpretations of what I read!

Just looking for advice!

John

I was under the impression Martin (AutomatedOutlet) had some Zwave stuff, but I know he has been pretty busy lately. I am surprised these questions haven't shown up yet on the HS forums.

I just received the USB interface as a birthday gift, but don't have any remotes or modules yet, so it's not really doing me any good.

It'll probably be summer before I get around to using it, so I'm anxious to here how this thread progresses, maybe we should link to this discussion at the HomeSeer Message board.

Ha! Some great posts here. Yes, I do carry the ZWave stuff but like most of you, I am waiting for the dust to clear a little. I think ZWave has a lot of promise but I personally need more devices before I could to a swap out. I understand that there will be dozens of new devices coming out in the next couple of months. My main focus for my own house right now is the instalation of an X10 firewall. I think that's what I need to make my installation bulletproof.

Maritn, have you had a chance toplay with the Xwave devices at all? If so, does the control lose thedevices after a power outage (or after you unplug one and then plug it back in)?

Keep us posted about the firewall install!

No, I haven't had a chance yet but I don't think that they lose their addressing if you unplug them. That would really be a fatal flaw..

I'll double check it though.

I had programmed a light module last fall when I first got my z-wave stuff. Since the USB device was not available yet, I unplugged the module and put it on my shelf. Last night I got it off the shelf and plugged a light into it. I then hit the button on the remote to turn the light on. It worked.
So the modules hold their programming. At least for a couple of months anyway.

:unsure:

Well, that's good to know!

Since I made my original post, I've continued to research Z-Wave, reading about it on bunches of different forms. The conclusion I have arrived at for the necessity to "uninstall" and "reinstall" a moved module appears to have something to do with their signal relay capability, their relationship to each other. (But this could be wrong too!)

But I did read in the manual, that if a module is unplugged, without being "officially uninstalled", then the commands may take up to a minute or so to execute. (Apparently the modules are trying to figure out their relay relationship again.) But that still bothers me that if a "rug rat" or someone else unplugs a module, that the whole system would severley degrade? Is this true? Maybe someone with multiple modules throughout their house could test this? Or maybe once they learned to bypass the "missing module" that the remaing system performance would be restored? Inquiring minds would like to know!!!

Thanks for your posts so far, I'm still very interested in the product.

John

Back