Triple Monitor stand suggestions

pete_c

Guru
I have an antique office (circa 1930's VP corporate office sized) desk in my home office here with a custom made glass top.  Currently have 3 LCD monitors on it that occupy too much of the desk these days.

Looking to purchase a triple monitor holder that clips on to back side of desk.  Only concern is desk glass top such that an ideal monitor holder will be thin and flat on the top to go under the glass rather than on top of the glass.

Other features is that I want to be able to pull monitors closer to user (wife) or back to end of desk (for me).

Any suggestions?

I know of nothing that'd slide under the glass top you'd put on an antique desk.  There's just not enough clearance under the glass to allow for a decently strong kind of mount.  I suppose you could replace whatever cushions/pads you have under the existing glass to increase the gap, but then you're also putting the overall strength of the glass at risk by reducing the mounting points of pressure and the span between them.  Glass doesn't take well to bending. 

There are any number of ways to rig up a mounting arm.  Floor, wall, side of furniture, etc. Have you considered a floor mounted base?  

Another point to consider is if you found a workable mount you could have a local glass company fabricate a piece for you that has a suitable cut-out to accommodate the mount.

How about a big screen tv mounted on the wall with three separate inputs?

;)

Already have a 42" TV mounted on one wall in the office over some book shelves.

Thinking I can mount / glue a piece of wood on the back side of the desk to support the mount. 

There is a short bookshelve along the back side of the desk (another antique).  

Antique desk. How much do you care about modifying it? I’d use mechanical fasteners for sure and glue if you want. Only glue and the adjustment of the monitors (and their weights themselves) could put enough shear force on the glue to break it. Especially if you’re gluing to a nice finished surface - it won’t adhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, as TrojanHorse touched on...these old desks are usually coated with spar varnish that not much sticks to, and are typically veneer wood. Mind you the veneer on the oak desks I have seen were about 1/4" thick.

Thank you TrojanHorse.

Had a close look at the spot behind the desk to mount a piece of wood.  Not sure.  There are mounts which use a heavy base but it may take up too much of the desk surface.  

Noticed writing under one of the desk drawers.  A couple put their names and date under one of the desk drawers.  (1941).  I purchased it from a one legged Viet Nam vet who refinished the desk in the 1970's and sold it to me in the 1980's.  

Found a free standing mount with a heavy base.  Might work such that I am ordering it from Amazon.  If it doesn't work then will send it back.

Using this mount with 3 Asus 24" monitors.  Newer 2 monitors are very light where as oldest is a tad heavy.

The office computer also has an HDMI connection to a 42" LCD TV which is mounted high up on the wall opposite where the desk is.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1342]

Here is the link to the monitor stand.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L8P6D2S/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2K3WARBVMJ9U9&psc=1

• Compatibility: Fit most LCD, LED flat screen TVs and monitors up to 24 inches, and support weight up to 22lbs per arm. Mount plates detachable and height adjustable compatible with VESA 75x75mm or 100x100mm.
  • Multiple Options: Two-stage locking system C-Clamp and 4” diameter Grommet-Base, both systems are compatible with 4” thick desk. The free-standing V-Base can be placed on any desktop.
  • Adjustable: Arms extend and retract with full height adjustable on 18” height pole, center monitor +/-45° tilt, side monitor +/-90° tilt, and swivel to change reading angles and 360° rotate from landscape to portrait mode.
  • Dynamic: Our monitor arm is easily adjustable, allowing you to work in a more comfortable, ergonomically correct position to reduce neck and eye strain. The contemporary design is ideal for homes, dorms, schools, businesses, offices, IT networks, manufacturing plants, etc.
  • Package Includes: 1 x WALI Free Standing Triple Monitor Mount (Black), 1 x Mounting Hardware Kit, 1 x User Manual, 10 Year Protection
If it doesn't work then I can send it back to Amazon.

The desk is 32" deep by 60" wide with a glass top and rounded edges.

My concern for that one would be vibration and the pendulum effect.  It doesn't take much desk motion to translate out into the screens swaying, enough to induce slight motion sickness, if not just annoyance.  I've run into that with just single arm mounts.  Likewise, unless it's seriously decent hardware, sag is a problem.  Granted, monitors are lighter than ever these days, so it's going to be less of a hassle than the days of 24" Dell plasma monitors (I still have one, it's a beast, but the picture is soooo nice).  

But give it a shot and report back.

Yes reading the comments sagging is one issue.  I am concerned about balancing three monitors on a stand here.

Best test will be to give the stand a try.  If it doesn't work for me then I send it back.

Amazon here is back to one day deliveries now.

The old HP / Philips LCD monitors I used to use before the Asus monitors were very heavy and thick. 

Most of the reviews for the mount are positive.  

Here are a couple of negative comments.

But now the bad part. The vertical tilt (up and down) knob is just... broken. The included allen wrench for tightening the bolt that keeps the monitor from flopping up and down is either too large, or the bolt itself was not made correctly. I can't insert the wrench into the bolt head enough to tighten it down very much, and as a result the monitor has almost no resistance to tilting down on its own and will slowly sink on its own.

I have three monitors of 24 inches attached and I have to put weights on the stand so it doesn't fall over. Its like it is made for use with smaller monitors. Also like stated on other reviews, the middle screen's adjuster doesn't have any tension so the screen just tilts forward. I have to use a piece of duct tape to keep the monitor at the right angle. Over all the design and price is good but it has some major issues. I gave it three stars because of the price and because I was able to over come it with weights and duct tape.

Guess will see for myself.

By the way, I saw mention of a 40"+ TV being used as a monitor and I thought I would share the monitor that I love and replaced a pair of 24" monitors.  I have the Dell 4317Q monitor and it is phenomal (replaced by 4320Q).  I use it with the Dell Display Manager app, which allows me to setup various "virtual" monitors on the screen such that I can have two hotspots to drop apps side by side or a large app view with several secondary apps docked.  Just thought I'd share as I won't be going back to multiple monitors unless it is a pair of these 43" HD monitors.  :)

Back