Trying to decide between ISY, Castleos and CQC

I am a user of the ISY-994.  It seems a lot of folks complain of the way it "looks" like so '90s, or something like that.  I view it this way: it is a perfectly functional interface that, once programmed, is not accessed much.  It is not intended for routine control. 

But, if you are one who gets hung up on certain styles, maybe you should look elsewhere.  If you can read and can manipulate a mouse, you will have no trouble. It will demand a learning curve (less for some, more for others).

Regarding the capabilities of other options, my only concern would be to ensure that, whatever route you take, make sure it keeps up with the latest insteon devices.  I can tell you that the ISY-994 does.  My perceptions of some of the other options available is that insteon device support is more limited.  I do not keep up with castleOS, so just be sure to answer that question for yourself.

Based on what I have seen, however, the ISY is as good as it gets for those taking the insteon route.  It has some support for Z-wave, and more limited support for zigbee devices.  It has plug-ins for the ELK and it seems to speak a lot of network languages.

If your interest is broader integration that that, it does seem to me that the software solutions such as castleOS can begin to shine, especially for those who leave a computer running all the time.

BTW, we have one of our bi-yearly sales coming up in the first half of Oct, though that probably wouldn't be far enough out for you to make a decision in time.

Back